Best way forward to start a huel diet

Good Morning all,

I’ve had huel for about 2 months now. I’ve just been having 1 shake for breakfast for most of that time period. In it I’ve had 1 scoop of huel, water and some frozen mixed berries or a banana.

After watching a bit of the save money good health and Huel being tested I want to try the Huel diet. Looking at the calculator I can consume about 1200 - 1400 calories a day to lose between 1 to 2 pounds a week.

What is the best way to move forward with Huel to go to a Huel only diet. I don’t mind the flavour but like to add some fruit to it to add flavour. I’ve tried the flavor sachets but I didn’t like them very much.

I’ve plenty of calories with only having 1 scoop per shake and with the fruit I am probably about 300 calories per shake.

Any advice is welcome sorry for rambling on.

thanks

natasha

You’ve answered most of your own concerns there already.

If you’re already used to one shake a day, up it to two shakes a day, and then three or four once you’ve gotten used to that. The most common advice is to not to full powder until you’ve given your insides some time to adjust.

Other than that just check your math and lay out the macros, to make damn sure that this is what you intend to go with. 150cal of Huel is a given. Maybe double check that the scoop amount you’re going with weighs what the chart says. Then weigh the fruit and do that math.

At 12-1400 calories maybe also make sure you’re not going below that, and to go back up to TDEE once you’re satisfied with the weight loss.

You’ve got this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much gen.

I think my concern is the moving up stage but watching that show last night and the man on the plan lost about 2 stone in 28 days I was surprised. I think starting on Monday I will up it to two meals a day and see how I get on.

I’ve got about 1 and a half stone to lose so hopefully it will go easily and I’ll be maintaining from then on.

Hi!

The only thing I’d say about that bloke on the ITV show was that he was very overweight and pre Huel his diet with shocking. In my experience, when you change from over-eating to calorie restricted you do lose weight really quickly initially (I lost 1 stone in 4 weeks initially, with a starting weight of 13 stone 4) - I put this down to a couple of things, losing fluid retention from being bloated, losing food mass from being crammed with food and of course fat loss.

If you’re already on a weight loss path I wouldn’t expect to lose that level of weight in that time frame, especially if you’re at the pointy end of your weight loss (i.e. near your goal weight). I find it’s true what they say, a deficit of around 500 calories a day tends to lead to a lb loss a week. At the moment I exercise off about 500 calories a day (1 hour/4 mile brisk walk) and go for a 750 calories deficit a day - this is leading to a steady 1.5 pound loss per week. If you’re interested, I’ve been writing about my Huel weight loss since July on the Experiences board under the heading ‘Overweight Sugar-Addict’.

I reckon if you aim to lose your 1.5 stone over about 3-4 months you’ll get there :slight_smile:

PS how come you’re only able to consume 1200-1400 calories?

Hi CharlieMay,

thanks for your reply.

Yeah i totally get what you mean about the man on the TV. I already drink 2 to 3 litres of water a day and have huel on 1 meal 5 days a week. I don’t at present not have crisps or chocolate or fizzy juice if I want to but need to start.

Using the calculator on the site I am a wee shorty at 5’3 and weigh 168lbs. The calculator says to lose 1lb a week is it 1475 cals/day and 2lbs its 975cals/day. I do very little activity but try to meet the 30 minutes of walking a day by my watch. I’m stuck in an office all day and struggle to do anything at night as I have an issue with my hip and my knee which I am getting treatment for at present which some weight loss will help.

I though between 1200 to 1400 max would be a good target so I am not going overboard with the restricted calories. The BMI calculator indicates I need to lose 26.9lbs to be in the mid healthy range.

thanks Natasha

As gen said just add another Huel meal in and if you go well on that then add a third.
If you’re counting cals then make sure you add the cals of the fruit you’re consuming and weigh your Huel. The scoops are great for approximate meals but it’s easy to get air trapped in them so each scoops worth may vary.

Good luck and I hope you meet your goals

1 Like

Ah, I’m 5’7 so maybe that’s the difference :slight_smile: That said, perhaps try for 1lb loss a week first, the 1475 (or 1400 if you like) and see how that feels? Even a 30 minute walk a day will burn some calories, so you might be surprised to find that the combination ups your loss to 1-1.5lb a week :slight_smile:

Do you have a FitBit or anything to track your steps/calories burned? I got mine just over a month ago and I’ve found it’s really helped me with motivation and tracking calories in/out.

I’ve lost 24lb so far, over 3 months (14lb in month 1 and the other 10 over the other 2 months) and I’d quite like to lose 29lb more to bring me to the mid-range of healthy BMI, but one day at a time as I reckon that’ll take another 5-6 months! First step getting into the ‘healthy’ BMI range, which is 6lb away for me…

Good luck and keep us updated on progress! :smiley:

1 Like

Even without knowing your age and waist Id still suggest simply eating at your BMR for your target weight.

Currently your BMR is roughly:

20 years: 1588 calories
30 years: 1541 calories
40 years: 1494 calories.

Applying a sedentary activity of 1.2 and your current maintenance intake is approximately…

20 years: 1905 calories
30 years: 1849 calories.
40 years: 1792 calories.

Assuming your goal is to get to about 138lbs then your BMR at that weight is roughly

20 years: 1457 calories
30 years: 1411 calories
40 years: 1364 calories.

Giving you a daily calorie deficit of around 450 calories or around 3150 calories a week. No real need to go below your target BMR and any exercise/activity you decide to take will of course increase that deficit but you should see a minimum of 1lb loss every 8 days.

In terms of going 100% Huel that would mean that you would need

20 years old: 361g Huel a day
30 years old: 350g Huel a day
40 years old: 338g Huel a day
(Split between however many meals suits you)

If incorporating fruit into your plan then you may be looking at around 90-100 calories per fruit option.

If that’s the case then reduce the amount of Huel by approximately 25g per 100 calories of fruit consumed. 1g of Huel is roughly 4 calories.

Screenshot_20171007-101215
Click on image to expand it.

1 Like

Hi CharlieMay,

Yeah I’ve a smart fit watch. It nudges me every hours to get out my seat as I’ve been inactive too long.

I’m starting today after being away for the weekend. I’m using the samsung health app to log my meals of Huel and other meals from now on to watch my calorie intake and it also advises calories burned.

Well done on the 24lbs so far that’s great news :heart_eyes: and your so close to the “healthy” BMI range

1 Like

Hi Widge

Wow that is a great calculation. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. I think I am going to aim for 1300 calories a day that means if I am slightly over on some days I wont be so bad.

I will be increasing my huel starting today from 1 to 2 meals a day of it aiming to have 4 portions of huel a day by week 2 which I estimate to be about 600 calories, with a mix of with Banana’s or frozen summer fruits and some yoghurt for about 600 calories and then I have enough calories for my tea which I love and can’t give up. I don’t take any sugar in it just milk.

Thanks to everyone who has commented and offered there support and advice. I’m so grateful for this.

I’m going to update this regularly and let you know how I get on. Good luck to everyone who is also Hueling to lost some weight and body fat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Natasha
I think CharlieMay is right to say aim for about a pound loss per week, this way your body won’t notice the weight loss and your more likely to settle into your weight loss regime. Also if you look on the Huel website you will find all you need to know about the Huel way of life.

1 Like

Hi All,

Well my first week on the Huel increase didn’t quite go as plan and although I upped my Huel I managed to gain 1.4lbs.

This is week 2 and it is going well so far. I am going to put the increase last week down to not having enough water at the weekend. I have now upped my water and having my 2 Huels a day and it seems to be going better this week.

Fingers crossed for a better weight loss this week.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Hi. Widge
Can you work out how I can lose weight and the scoop ratio please… I am 5ft2 and 11 St… I am 48 and walk one or twice a week… Female… Today I had 1 scoop with water a salad for lunch but no calorie value and 2 scoops for dinner… This is my first day on huel… Would really appreciate yr help

Physically impossible. Account for each and every calorie, regardless of value. No such thing as no calorie value unless you literally ate a bowl of leaves?

Your stats and activity level give you a Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or TDEE, of 1750.

To lose 1lb a week, you’ll want to aim for around 1250 calories, a 500 deficit.

Measure each and every calorie, track them in an app like Myfitnesspal and take responsibility for it. Too often people blame lack of weight loss on everyone and everything but themselves.

I’d recommend weighing every couple of days at exactly the same time, after waking up and using the toilet but before eating or drinking anything.

1250 calories is around 8 scoops per day, or 310g, but with no extras such as salad or treats.

Perhaps 3 scoops for breakfast, 2 for lunch, 3 for dinner?