Brand new to Huel - it tastes vile!

As someone who is into fitness and strength training, I’ve consumed quite a lot of shakes over the years and had my share of weird tasting ones. However for my first time with Huel, I went for the Vanilla option - big mistake. To me, it tastes like blended soggy cardboard with a chemical sweetness and a really bad aftertaste. I’ve tried mixing it with some Nesquick chocolate powder to take off the edge a bit, but it still tastes dreadful. Any tips to help me through?

Next time I’ll give unflavoured a try and maybe one of the flavour pouches.

I only have 2 Huel shakes a day, as I eat 4 solid meals also, but as someone who needs the calories and also needs to cut down on spending, I’d like to use Huel more - just wish it didn’t taste so bad! Is unflavoured any better?

1 Like

Sounds like you’re one of the minority whose tastebuds react badly to the sucralose.

1 Like

I’ve not seen it so much with Huel, but pretty much nobody likes 'lents on their first try. The texture is odd and the flavour can seem overly subtle and not quite what you’re expecting (especially if you’ve been used to sickly sweet protein shakes).

Usually improves quickly though and within a few meals you’ll be enjoying it. Definitely look at flavours though. I’ve tried using nesquik myself and it just didn’t work out at all. Using a blender and adding whole fruits like banana works pretty well and I’ve got a lot of time for Huel’s own pineapple & coconut, mocha, and rhubarb and custard flavour packs.

A fresh cup of coffee (from ground beans, not instant) mixed with milk and a few scoops of huel is also absolutely superb. You’ll want to leave it in the fridge overnight but man, great way to start the day.

Keep at it, just takes a bit of getting used to at first :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it really surprising how many people think Huel tastes vile. I gave some to a friend to try, and she almost barfed it up while I happily chugged the whole thing and wanted more.

She claimed it tasted like chemicals. Marcus’s theory above about sucralose not tasting good for some people may have some truth to it.

3 Likes

@wickywills Sorry to hear that. Taste is very subjective, but as you can imagine I’ve consumed a lot of Huel and this my favourite way and it tastes real good…

400ml cold water

• 3 scoops of Huel
  • three ice cubes (optional)
  • a teaspoon of coffee granules (optional)
  • blend or use a shaker
  • top up via the spout with another 200ml of water and re-shake
    v nice.

PS. If you leave in the fridge over night it’s even better.

PPS. If you add more water it reduces the sweetness, and vice a versa.

PPPS. Adding frozen berrys or banana and blending is popular

Some great flavour ideas here: https://huel.com/pages/how-to-use#flavour

1 Like

Thanks all for the responses - can see there’s a really great community here, so I will keep at it. So it’s perfectly fine to leave Huel mixed overnight in the fridge? Lots of protein shakes I have normally have to be consumed within minutes of mixing, but if Huel can be mixed with various other ingredients and left overnight without affecting its nutritional value, then that’s great to hear.

4 Likes

Many people leave it overnight in fridge…I always drink it that way, and while everyone’s tastes are different my preferred way is a 50/50 mix of unflavoured/vanilla in 250ml water and 250ml unsweetened almond milk.

1 Like

I’ve never tried vanilla only unsweetened, but the first time wasn’t pleasant, I have a very sweet tooth! So there was some instant Cadbury hot chocolate in the kitchen so added some, much nicer. Definitely makes a difference for me how cold the water is as well. I think each person experiments and finds flavours tastes and consistencies that work for them.

2 Likes

I think it tastes better if left in the fridge overnight. However, this time of year I don’t like it cold, I like it room temperature, so I either make it shortly before I drink it or get it out of the fridge an hour before I think I’ll want it.

I have 125g to 500ml water - plus about 125g or so fresh fruit blended with the water before adding the Huel to the mixture. A mixture of fruit juice and water works well too (my favourite is Cawston’s(?) apple and ginger). Don’t forget fruit squashes or even fruit flavoured spring water. Elderflower cordial works well with black grapes or strawberries. I’m enjoying exploring what can be done with fruit flavours to the extent that I haven’t even opened the bag of unflavoured in the cupboard that I bought to experiment with savoury flavours…

I’ve been meaning to experiment with flavours for about 9 months now but couldn’t be bothered. I still find my Vanilla Huel between neutral and just a tiny bit unpleasant but the perks of speed, simplicity and healthiness outweigh the taste problem. So my personal experience shows it’s perfectly normal to not enjoy the taste from the standard recipe.
As people before me have said try: ice, different amount of water, flavourings(bear in mind that huel flavour pouches have stevia, which I’ve read here can have an unusual taste), different temperature(I actually have a friend who likes it dense and warm like porridge). To me blending or leaving overnight in the fridge makes the most difference with least effort.

@wickywills @Julian @Marcus
Try adding a spoonful of peanut butter powder and a spoonful of coconut oil, I use coconut water :sweat_drops: instead of water which is always refrigerated.
Sliced fresh ginger just before blending!
@Julian no charge for this recipe😳

Having now tried both v2 and v2.1 (with the Christmas Pudding mix), I’m amazed and saddened at how, in just 3 short months, this vegan product has developed a texture and taste that is so synthetic. When the next gum blend comes out in the new year, I’ll try a 100g sampler, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be done after that. I get that I’m in the minority here, with the vanilla massively out-selling the unflavoured, but there it is.

My opinion is that Huel’s taste really isn’t it’s strong point.
However, one can get used to it and the benefits are worth it. E.g. compared to other meal replacements I think Huel has the best satiety (this is something that’s easier to measure on your own), also it’s supposed to be healthier (this is harder prove though).

2 Likes

I didn’t like Vanilla at all either and the unflavoured versions tastes bad due to the pea protein. But whatever is in the flavour ‘systems’ really does the trick. Adding normal chocolate powder was not enough for me, the pea protein taste still came through. But the flavour systems seem to be designed to go with Huel and make it taste fine. I like the banana and chocolate flavours.

Oh its the pea protein that gives it the funky taste? I did wonder. I can tolerate it quite well but I can’t say I love it, and I add whey protein toffee flavour to improve the taste

I like adding 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon for sweetness or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric for savoury and yes, I do add those to the vanilla flavour but hey, that’s how my tastebuds roll!

1 Like

I’m the same, it made me sick today. It is such a shame as I really would like to stick with it

2 teaspoons of cheap coffee granules in with 3 scoops of vanilla Huel works for me, for 3-4 meals a day.

2 Likes

I too have started just today. I have to say it’s not what I was expecting. Will try some of the comments and see how I go. Wish me luck I’m going in for round two :wink: