Breakfast-skipper - does it matter?

I started a breakfast-skipping habit about 3 years ago and find it helpful in managing weight, plus I have a bit more time at the start of the day. I eat between 12 noon and 8pm each day. When I started, I enjoyed a green smoothie at noon, then had solid food between 6pm and 8pm. I’ve switched to Huel for the noon-meal as it’s quicker and cheaper. I find it ok and will probably stick in this pattern, perhaps having hurl in the evening too if I want to lose weight.

Which is how something like this becomes international news.

Bahahah, genuinely cracked up. Unbelievable…

They do say that breakfast should be your best meal of the day - breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper - or some other gubbings like that…

Having said that I normally couldn’t face breakfast until I started HUEL,except on maybe a weekend when it would be later (mid morning) before I ate but now I make a double portion of HUEL first thing, have 1/2 for breakfast at home and then the remainder for my lunch …

I never have break fast just my 2 scoops of huel for lunch and a healthy dinner.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s a sign that you have eaten too much in the evening or eaten too late. Sometimes, when I have had a big meal later than normal, I don’t have much of an appetite at breakfast; but if I eat a moderate dinner early, then by breakfast I am starving hungry.

I guess I was always one for skipping calories thinking that I would lose weight faster but then falling in the trough when I finally did loosen the corset strings… Im now finding that well spaced out HUEL during the day caters for my appetite and I am a lot more restrained in the evening when I have ‘normal’ food

There’s no evidence “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. I’ve skipped breakfast for the last few years and find it better:

• the digestive system has a decent rest (see 16/8 intermittent fasting topic)
  • it de-stresses getting ready for work
  • it’s easier to avoid over-eating.

There is evidence to support both sides of the argument, that 16/8 fasting & skipping breakfast to do this is beneficial but also that regular balanced meals throughout the day have a stabilising effect on blood sugar too although you will not experience ketosis as you do with 16/8, 5-2, keto or atkins diet etc if you eat carbohydrates regularly throughout the day as part of a ‘normal’ balanced diet.

The problem with proclaiming superiority of one diet or eating regime over another is the you can only ever really speak for what works for you & your body, & everyone’s system & chemistry is different so that a variety of approaches can be taken by different individuals & they will all be healthy & feel great & may think their way is the best. Some people thrive on vegan or vegetarian diets in a way they never did on meat & dairy, others find the paleo or atkins diet with lots of meat & very little carbs suit them best… Exactly what you are eating is as important as when or how often & there are so many individual factors towards good health & lifestyle that it’s impossible to just proscribe one way & say this will be best for everyone.

I graze on my huel throughout the day, sometimes with a bit of real food thrown in there, sometimes not til dinnertime when I always have a proper meal unless I’ve had a big lunch, but what I find so great about huel is that it is so versatile, you can consume it how you want & when you want cos its so convenient, & the users on this forum & the experiences they post reflect this.

1 Like