Fruits that Blend Well

Hi guys,
Thought I would create a thread here about natural stuff you can blend with Huel to make it more interesting. I’m an unflavoured Huel man myself and I generally enjoy the taste, but I do find that having a breakfast that’s slightly sweet makes mornings more enjoyable and motivates me to eat properly.
The RDA for sugar in a grown adult is about 30g I believe. 2000kcal of Huel provides 3.5g of sugar, so I feel like we have a bit of leeway to add in some additional sugar, as long as it’s in the form of fruit or vegetables and not syrup.
Anyway, I like to weigh all my ingredients rather than measure by volume and I can attest to the quality of the digital Salter scales, so I usually mix three ice cubes with 250g water (250ml) and 100g unflavoured Huel in my Nutribullet. This gives me an extra 100kcal to play with to hit the 500-550kcal mark for breakfast. I have found that a whole banana, a whole apple OR 150g (punnet) fresh raspberries works really nicely, providing just enough sweetness to make it delicious and moreish. I now look forward to meals a lot more! I’m going to see how frozen berries work since they are cheaper and could replace the ice cubes. 150g of things like raspberries,blackberries and strawberries should stay under the 100kcal mark (and under 8g sugar).

Let me know if you find any other low-sugar, natural combos (preferably under 100-150kcal) that work as well, I always enjoy experimenting with this kind of thing!
Cheers guys!
Z

I like a banana in mine :smiley:

1 Like

Apple and cinnamon (ceylon) works really well for me, and banana and nutmeg is a close second :smile:

2 Likes

Frozen Mango, Pineapple and Summer Berries which are all easily available from supermarkets work well.

1 Like

For what it is worth, in 2014 the World Health Organization dropped its sugar intake recommendations from 10% of daily calorie intake to 5%. For an adult of a normal body mass index (BMI), that works out to 25 grams of sugar per day.

Still leaves quite a bit of leeway to add in some additional sugar, as you point out.

Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries!

1 Like