How did we get here?

I’m not sure whether to be ashamed of this or not, but the first time I heard of Huel was on a Dave Gorman TV show in which he was making fun of the abbreviated name!
It intrigued me enough to have a google.

No bad advertising eh? :blush:

A personal gripe though Huel team - where are the adverts with the fat or skinny people making their Huel in my tiny scruffy galley kitchen with the boyfriend in the way and the washing up not done and the dog under your feet and every surface cluttered??

I’d be interested to know how others got here.

4 Likes

A sponsored advert on instagram bought me here !

2 Likes

I heard about it via a mutual friend of @Julian, tried the sweetened - hated it. Heard about the UU and was desperate to lose weight so got on board again. Now been using it for over a year, less a religion now, more of a lifestyle

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Kate! Although Dave wasn’t a big fan of our website, I’m sure he pointed a few people in the direction of Huel in a positive way too!

The folks in the video weren’t picked on their morphology, just on what they had to say - and their location! We got many applications for the video via the forum and were overwhelmed by how many people wanted to get involved. I know you are only kidding though :blush:

The kitchen is a house in London that the family rent out occasionally to film crews and it fitted the contemporary vibe we were going for!

I got here through an advert on Facebook and went on the website’s careers page - if you were wondering :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I saw an ad on Facebook, it is the only time Facebook has been of use :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been here since the dawn of time. I was here before even Huel was here. I remember when this was all fields.

Haha, actually, I arrived one late summers day in August 2015 after searching on Google for something like “UK alternative to Soylent”.

Hands up anyone else who remember Huel v1.0? :grinning:

5 Likes

What would you say are the biggest differences between v1.0 and 2.1? In terms of flavour, texture etc.

I’m not the target demographic - but I’m glad to have been caught somehow in the fallout!
That kitchen’s bigger than my house…

1 Like

I read an article in The Telegraph a few months back which was pretty positive and it stayed in my mind. Then my husband asked if I’d head of this huel stuff.
A couple on months later we decided to give it a go at the start of the new year. I’ve been on 2 huel meals and a regular meal every day since. In that time I’ve lost weight and got the energy to train more so all in all a great experience

3 Likes

I was using joylent and got super hyped when I spotted a UK product launch, even more so when I saw the ingredients :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I read about Huel in an Easyjet magazine on a flight to Lisbon in Aug 2015. Looked it up straight away…

1 Like

Didn’t join the forum for a few months after tho…

i saw an ad on facebook and thought “finally i don’t have to cook ever again!”, never looked back :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Facebook kept advertising it at me and I kept ignoring it thinking, "Well that looks really cool and convenient, maybe one day someone will make a vegan one."
One day curiosity got the better of me and I happened to find out it was in fact vegan. :smiley:

3 Likes

Version 1.0 was sweeter. It was much easier to get sick of it. I used to struggle on any days where I tried to go 100%. It was nice chilled, but at room temperature it tasted like melted vanilla ice cream.

I think you would be surprised, Kate. I’m not sure what you think the target is, but really it is busy people! A pretty broad demographic to say the least. Everyone at times requires quick food, perhaps not every day, but I would be surprised if a month went by and you hadn’t once reached for something quick in the local convenience store (meal deal, coffee shop panini or takeaway). Next time you do get caught short on your nutrition, make sure you remember that Huel is here to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There was a Stuff you should know podcast on Soylent in January, it got me thinking about meal replacements, so after a little research, I came across Huel. I was looking at the website, and then watched the promotional video, which to my surprise was actually filmed a couple of doors down from where I live in West London. It’s strange to see your street and neighbouring house in a promotional video, so I took it as a sign that I should give Huel a go. Enjoying the journey so far.

1 Like

I clicked a Facebook advert for the first and only time in my life so far. The mysterious white bag looked intriguing enough to get me reading the whole website!

1 Like

I was back in the States last summer and reading yet another article about Soylent. It mentioned Huel as a UK based alternative and so I checked it out. I’ve been interested in this type of food since Soylent came out, but never got around to trying it until recently. I think things just came together at the right time for me.

2 Likes

Heh, would be interesting to see if there was some web hit spike after that Dave Gorman TV show :smiley:

1 Like