How do you flavour your Huel?

Has anybody tried any powdered greens in the mix? I.e. spirulina, chlorella etc?

I tried it with matcha the other day; the bitterness of the tea really balanced out the sweetness.

Loving the ideas of using tea @JJMC and @Jessica_Invernizzi. How much tea are we talking about? Some time ago a customer said they used Chai tea but had to oversteep more than one tea bag. Are you find you are having to use a lot of tea? We should write some specifications down!

I add a small portion of Tesco’s Frozen Mixed Fruits, it tastes divine. Four Huel’s a day as part of a healthy weight gain alongside weight training. Feeling great!

5 Likes

I’m fortunate that my wife works in a tea brewery so I have loose leaf that I can infuse in small but concentrated quantities.

I use a tea ball as a measure anywhere between 3/4 full to full and infuse that with half a cup of fresh boiled water for 3-5 minutes. Pour it in, stir and away you go.

I have teas of all varieties but not going to try a smoky tea with Vanilla Huel - may get a sample of unflavoured and try it with that.

I use half a teaspoon of matcha powder mixed in a little hot water, and then I’ll mix that with my serving of Huel in the blender :slightly_smiling:

Great topic, thanks.
My experiments so far (all in 500ml + 3 scoops)

1. Frozen blueberries 3 desert spoons tastes great
  2. Frozen cranberries same recipe as above - not as good as the blueberries which were more intense
  3. Cinnamon - 3 teaspoons - great taste , can be a bit grainy.
  4. Ginger - 3 teaspoons of powder - great taste think I should perhaps try cutting a piece of root ginger or getting a jar of ginger but I find the powder easier !
  5. Curry Powder - 3 teaspoons - certainly gives Huel a kick, I would do this again but not daily !

I think on my easy bucket list are marmite, coriander, mint, rosemary, cumin , all as dried herbs. On my fresh bucket list would be strawberries, raspberries, banana, but am also interested in kale and spinach…

Looking forward to more inspiration from your posts !

2 Likes

Blueberries give a great subtle flavouring. My fave is frozen bananas and strawberries tho!

I started trialing Huel last week and intend to move to using it for two meals a day from Monday onwards. At the moment, I have some vanilla Huel and have flavored it with instant coffee (good), fresh raspberries (OK) and cocoa (OK).

Looking forwards, I think that the lack of a savoury taste might get to me a little, so was wondering if anybody had tried adding Marmite to unflavoured Huel?

I use the Vanilla version and these are some of the recipes I’ve been using. I usually also always add 2 or 3 large ice cubes before blending;

• 1 Banana, 3 scoops Huel, 700ml water

• 1 Banana, 3 scoops Huel, 1 heaping tspn unsweetened cocoa powder, 700ml water

• 5 Strawberries, 3 scoops Huel, 600ml water

• 5 Strawberries, 3 scoops Huel, 1 heaping tspn unsweetened cocoa powder, 600ml water

• 3 scoops Huel, 1/2 tspn almond extract, 600ml water

• 3 scoops Huel, 1/2 tspn almond extract, 1 heaping tspn unsweetened cocoa powder, 600ml water

• 1/2 Banana, 3 Strawberries, 3 scoops Huel, 1/2 tspn almond extract, 1 heaping tspn unsweetened cocoa powder, 700ml water

• 2 tbs Nespresso, 2 tsp Truvia (natural sweetener), 3 scoops Huel, 600ml water

Will add more as I try more. Thanks for all of the other great ideas here. :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

Great stuff all of you, it seems blueberries are a real winner! Can someone just bite the bullet and try Marmite with UU Huel?! I feel it needs a blender and we don’t have one in the office! @PhilipEatonRichards, curry powder sounds awesome, have you tried stock pots? Thank you @Clinty for the recipes there. Brilliant.

Send me a trial pack and I’ll try it for you :slightly_smiling:

@TimOfficeHuel “Stockpots” - that is an idea - thanks :slight_smile: I am tempted by the Marmite challenge…

1 Like

Spirulina is great! :slight_smile:

i tried the following as an evening meal:

Frozen Spinach Cubes
Fill blender up to 500ml water
2 scoops Vanilla
3 teaspoons Madras curry powder
Warmed up in microwave

I count this as a successful trial, it’s a curried green soup. Could be improved I think by using boiling water straight into blender, and unflavoured maybe, I am yet to try that though so next order.

@PhilipEatonRichards I’ve done some similar except that I prefer not to heat Huel too much. I find the texture gets too thick and cloying in the mouth.

Instead, I pour boiling water directly on to the frozen spinach and spices. I let this sit long enough to thaw the spinach, simultaneously cooling the water. I think pour in the Huel and blend.

@TimOfficeHuel I tried UU with Marmite a couple of times. I wouldn’t say that I loved it, but it is definitely something I could eat every once in a while. The general umami-ness of Marmite is nice. Unfortunately the saltiness is a little overpowering.

I tried adding the Cocoa Delight Nakd bar into my Huel with 7g of Huel and 500mls of water and it was delicious … They make plenty of other flavours for the bars too, so lots of options :slightly_smiling:

That’s something I’d try…interesting…I love the Nakd bars.

1 Like

Anyone used the my protein flavourings?

2 Likes

Only experiments so far have been:

• A pinch of cinnamon powder - very good
  • A chunk of root ginger - also tasty
1 Like