How do you flavour your Huel?

A little bit of VitaFiber can add sweetness and fibre to Huel with a modest increase in calories.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m a Huel newbie but Iā€™ve just had a 50/50 Vanilla/UU, flavoured with preserved ginger and a little honey and it was delicious!! Probably should have just used UU though as it was a wee bit sweet for me. You can always sweeten something if itā€™s not sweet enough but you canā€™t take the sweetness out if thereā€™s too much of it!

Looking forward to trying some savoury flavours as Iā€™m far more of a savoury fan. Just trying to think what I could use. I have a whole load of spices in the cupboard but I donā€™t think those alone would make for a nice flavour. I suppose maybe with a stock cube and add some spices? Might be too salty though. Will experiment!

2 Likes

Well, that was a successfuel (<-- typo but Iā€™ll leave it!!) experiment. UU with half a veggie stock cube, half a teaspoon of marmite, some black pepper, some chilli powder and some of that seaweed you use to make miso soup. Drank it hot out a big mug.

Only trouble is I now want another big mugful! :grin:

I think I definitely prefer going the savoury route so will need think about what I can buy in to flavour it, rather than just seeing what Iā€™ve got in the cuboards. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Really cool idea! What an awesome combination. I still havenā€™t experimented with savoury flavours yet. Need to get amongst it.

I got the unflavoured version and strawberry pouch. I thought the strawberry was disgusting and didnā€™t mix well with the unflavouredā€¦so I mixed the unflavoured with some chocolate almond milk (by alpro) and it gives a really nice malty flavourā€¦

I love the vanilla huel though.

Iā€™ve recently discovered Liquiflav drops from Bulk Powders (who I initially found via https://diy.soylent.com ).

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/liquiflav.html

So far, Iā€™ve tried the Raspberry and the Chocolate Mint. Both are excellent, especially the Raspberry flavour which actually had me thinking the Huel grains were the little pips, even though Iā€™d mixed it only moments before. Last night, I even had 2 scoops of unflavoured Huel with the Chococlate Mint as a dessert and it did the trick.

All flavours are vegan, the red for the Raspberry and Strawberry coming from beetroot not bugs. I find that 15 drops per 200ml is about right.

[addition] and while youā€™re there, Iā€™d also recommend grabbing a tub of the no salt, no sugar, no palm oil, no preservatives Peanut Butter.

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/peanut-butter.html

Ordered some tart cherry juice today to try with vanilla Huel.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Weā€™ve all been coming up with smoothie recipes that are simple and delicious for ages. We used your great ideas, amongst some obvious favourite flavour combinations to make these and collate them in one place. Let us know what you think after trying any!

Coffee and Ice
Add 400ml cold water first, then:

• 3 scoops of Huel
  • 3 ice cubes
  • 1 teaspoon of instant coffee
    Shake vigorously for 10 seconds
    Top up with 170ml of cold water and reshake.

Mint Chocolate
Add 400ml cold water first, then:

• 3 scoops of Huel
  • Ā½ cap peppermint extract
  • 1 teaspoon of Huel Cacao
    Flavour System or some drinking chocolate

Peanut Curry
Carefully add 250ml boiling water to shaker first, then:

• Ā½ low salt vegetable stock cube. Dissolve this in the water first, then:
  • 150ml cold water
  • 3 scoops of Unflavoured Huel
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • Ā½ teaspoon curry powder

Berry or Banana
Add 570ml cold water or almond milk to a blender first, then:

• 3 scoops of Huel
  • Large handful of frozen or fresh berries e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries
  • a frozen or fresh banana (optional)
    Blend until smooth.

I like to make ā€œgolden milkā€ with my Huel. Turmeric is said to have some great health benefits including anti-inflammatory. I make up a batch of golden milk paste (see internet) which is Turmeric with a twist of black pepper and sometimes some oil and honey - you can add ginger as well. You can then mix this with warm water and Huel to make up the golden milk. I use the UU version of Huel - not sure if the vanilla one would work or not.

1 Like

I make my Vanilla up with hazelnut milk instead of water. Itā€™s almost too delicious, I always want more immediately on finishing and often take the shaker apart to get the last bits, but the satiation settles in after a minute or so after Iā€™ve finished.

I find the slight edge of hazelnut milk really helps balance out the artificial sweetness - I was previously having trouble with artificial-sweetener aftertaste when I was just using water.

1 scoop of vanilla, 2 scoops of unflavored, a teaspoon of cinnamon a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of chocolate flavor has actually got me enjoying and craving this stuff. And I have been converted to putting it in the fridge to chill it too. No solid food cravings whatsoever but that is semi normal fur mich.
Most definitely going to experiment a lot more with it from now on. Different kinds of nut milks do sound like a pretty damn good idea.

1 Like

I have been trying a few options:

2x nespresso espresso
200 ml skim milk
Topped with water

Tastes great, I even added half a tea spoon of the chocolate huel flavour system. Thatā€™s great for breakfast.

Frozen fruit strawberry and banana
200ml skim milk
Topped with water

Nice freshly made as frozen fruit is still icy.

I have found the fridge is great mellowing the taste and can really thicken up.

I use a combination but my favourite is 1 banana, 1/2 lime (dice the zest and add the juice), large teaspoon of whole nut peanut butter, sunflower seed, flax seeds, almond butter and coconut oil. The extra fat and protein makes you feel fuller for longer.

Have posted elsewhere on the forum but this is a summary of my favourite flavours so far. I usually have 75g Huel as Iā€™m trying to lose some weight. All blended with a Nutribullet.

Chocolate:
75g vanilla Huel
500ml almond milk
10g green and blacks cocoa powder

Cheese and tomato:
75g UU Huel
100g feta cheese (to taste)
1/2tin chopped tomatoes topped up to 500ml with water
Add pepper to taste

Cheese and onion:
75g UU Huel
100-125g cottage cheese with chives
Chopped red onion to taste
500ml water

Also tried various stock cubes with UU and thought they were horrible! Am going to experiment with humus (plain and lemon/coriander) and cream cheese (Philadelphia light) this week.

3 Likes

This morning I had black coffee in vanilla and it was as delicious, meanwhile I made my husband a delicious banana choc nut breakfast:

3 scoops vanilla huel
Half a banana
2 teaspoons green and black cocoa powder
2 teaspoons almond butter
400ml cold water

Blend

Topped up with large handful of ice then blended again

It made loads, the nutribullet was above max but it was delicious.

The colder the better for me - I wonder if having it too cold has an impact on the nutrients?

1 Like

Being cold has no impact on the nutrients.

Being too hot has minimal impact on the nutrients. Vitamin C degrades with heat, for instance.

I just made the following:

1 tsp maca powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 scoops vanilla Huel
300ml rice milk
300ml water
In the vitamix

It tastes just like the white choc chip Harvest/Tracker bars you used to get!
My favourite flavour yet!

1 Like

That sounds lush! Like chilli chocolate!

Iā€™ve not tried the bars you refer to, but I make that combo (without the vanilla extract) and it is really good I agree. I donā€™t use my vitamin for it anymore either, just the shaker then overnight in the fridge.

Maca and matcha tea are really good together too.

This tastes delicious and makes 2 shakes, so I use it to replace 2 meals:

1 Litre of Unsweetened Almond Milk
1 Banana
200g Vanilla Huel
3 Heaped teaspoons instant coffee
1 level dessert spoon of peanut butter (preferably made from peanuts and nothing else)

Whizz in blender, leave in fridge overnight and there you have a delicious and nutritious breakfast and lunch!

1 Like