Huel 2.2 - texture

Ah, fair enough. I found without the grid it ended up far more lumpy though, hence I ended up using it. The mixer balls arrived today, so I’m going to try with that, see if it helps at all.

That actually sounds like an amazing product that I would be very interested in.

Alternatively, have you considered ignoring the small minority of people who have issues with FODMAPs and including inulin as the soluble fiber that holds Huel together? I am not making a recommendation, just wondering if that’s something you tested.

I’m happy to report that adding a shaker ball made the world of difference. Added 2.5 scoops with 500ml and it’s the same consistency it was, without the lumps. I’m guessing it’s the fact it keeps clumping together that’s the problem. I’ll have a go with the 500ml/3 scoops at some point, and the 400ml/2.5 and 400/3 as I used to have it, see if it works well with the ball. Did reattach the top grid after shaking up to make sure I didn’t get any huge lumps, but so far, so good!

1 Like

That’s great news re the consistency… but is it the same flavour after diluting?

I’ve found if I dilute it enough to get an acceptable consistency, the flavour is weaker than before. It’s impossible to get good consistency and flavour at the same time with 2.2 compared to 2.1.

Another problem with having no thickeners in would be that the liquid would taste like flavoured water. Which sounds like it may be pleasant, but really isn’t.

Seems to be, though obviously it’s a bit weaker having gone to 2.5 scoops. I’ll try a full 3 scoops tomorrow morning, and report back.

1 Like

So, tried a different approach today and it worked wonders!!!

Fill shaker with 3 scoops, NO WATER
Shake vigorously powder up and down
The Huel will sieve through the mesh, then shake side to side and make sure all powder is below mesh
The Huel is visibly finer in texture
Add water and shake vigorously as you would expect

This produced a shake with zero lumps, as opposed to what I posted earlier.

Give it a try. If it is like this for me again then problem solved!

1 Like

Usel to be called Huel 1.2, with a lovely 1:1 calorie to milliliter ratio. About as thick as milk.

It’s gone now.

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback on the consistency issues. We are getting very mixed feedback, but we assure you we are looking in to this, and it’s important to get it right. We’ll continue to update you.

5 Likes

On second bag of 2.2
07:00 Filling 2x Huel supplied mixing bottles
Breakfast - 300ml (ish) tap water into bottle - 2x level (ish) scoops in Huel supplied scoop
Lunch - 500ml (ish) tap water into bottle - 3x level (ish) scoops in Huel supplied scoop
Add Huel supplied mixing grill & top - shake for 10-30 secs
Breakfast bottle in the car while crawling through traffic
Lunch bottle sits in laptop bag till 12ish - quick shake - 1 min desk settle to minimise ‘cap drip’

No issues - does what it appears to be designed to do - has been this way for the year I’ve been drinking Huel

1 Like

I haven’t tried 2.2 yet but don’t see a problem with just adding more/less water as required.

The consistency of a single batch changes for me depending on how much I’ve packed the powder into my storage containers before mixing!

James - good to hear you’re looking into the issue.

For what it’s worth, I’m coming to the conclusion that the consistency and texture of 2.2 changes dramatically with overnight refrigeration - my preferred method of preparation, as any chlorination flavour in the water disappears, and I like my shakes cold without having to add ice cubes. Consistency is fine if mixed with sufficient liquid and consumed immediately, but the shakes become kind of gelatinous when left overnight in the fridge.

Have you tried leaving just the water in the fridge over night? The water would be dechlorinated and the Huel cold when it’s mixed in.

1 Like

I haven’t, and that’s a good idea - though not quite as convenient for me I typically make up my shakes on an evening and leave them in the fridge, then take two of them to work with me the following day. It’s one less thing to do on a morning…

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. How do you feel this compares with leaving v2.1 in the fridge overnight fridge?

Very un-scientific. But new to Huel as of this morning. Made a banana shake as per guidelines provided in the box. Only changes were 50:50 ratio almond milk to water, plus ice. Used my Nutri Ninja and the texture was spot on.
Unsure if any of this is of use, but thought I’d share.

Hi James…

Both 2.1 and 2.2 thicken when left in the fridge overnight, but 2.2 thickens up more, for sure, and in my opinion it has a slightly more gelatinous texture and appearance.

With 2.2 I’ve had to increase the amount of liquid to get what I feel is a similar consistency. Using 2.1, I found that 76g of Huel plus 380 - 400ml liquid (mostly water, with a small amount of unsweetened almond milk) and refrigerated overnight produced a shake that I could easily drink straight from the shaker, with very little left behind in the bottle. With 2.2, I’m now using 68g of Huel and 450ml liquid to achieve similar results; plus, with 2.2 I often get a few small lumps left in the mix, even after 30 - 40 seconds of shaking (not a huge problem, but noticeable), and when I’ve finished drinking there is quite a bit of product left clinging to the shaker grid.

Bear in mind, I’m using roughly two parts U/U with one part Vanilla. I don’t know if 100% U/U or 100% Vanilla would produce different results. I mix using the Huel shaker bottle with the grid in place, but whilst I’m sure the lumps could easily be avoided by using a hand blender, the shaker bottle is more convenient for me.

I thought I had gotten a bad batch… had to check the forums… my first shake of this batch and it’s very gluey… very unpleasent :disappointed:… I don’t really want to drink the rest to be honest…

1 Like

Michal - try adding a bit more liquid and / or reducing the amount of Huel powder slightly. You’ll get a weaker flavour as a result, but it’s still tasty enough, and at least it will get the consistency closer to 2.1. It’s working OK for me while we await the team’s response and hopefully a solution (in the form of v2.3, I’d guess)…

One of the great selling points of Huel was that it could give you a full nutritious meal for the same amount of effort as making a cup of coffee. 1 shaker, 600 calories if you want (and I want, 4 scoops UU please, sometimes in a nutty milk), 10 minutes from making the meal to washing out the downed shaker. Wasn’t that the whole point of this product?

But now that goal has vanished because for some reason Huel want their mixture to be thicker than a McDonalds milkshake, no matter how much extra water is needed and how much extra hassle and time it takes to make. It blows my mind.

Huel wanting the vanilla flavour to be textured like a McDonalds shake, I suppose I understand that reasoning (although I can’t drink the stuff), but why force the UU to be the same? Surely with UU flexibility is key? And thicker doesn’t help its flavour any.

2 Likes