Huel and Alcohol - The perfect team?

So I like pushing the boat out on new (mostly god awful) flavour combos, as some of you may know when I threw up the ‘Branston Pickle + Huel’ I made last week.

In a few weeks, I’ll be using a nice refreshing beer as my base to vanilla huel, and enjoy a ‘hearty’ pint. Completely defies the point of Huel, but hey, at least it might be entertaining? And if it goes well, I may venture into the world of ‘Hueltini’s’ and ‘Long Island Iced Huel’

It did get me thinking though, how does the processing of alcohol change after consuming huel? I’ve heard that if you eat a lot before drinking alcohol, the food absorbs the alcohol and you don’t get very drunk. But I can’t image huel to absorb much, so do you know if it will slow down the effects of alcohol much compared to a full meal?

I’ve also heard that Huel works as a wonderful hangover cure, and can actually confirm. Although this may be down to the several pints of water consumed at the same time and not the Huel itself…

4 Likes

I volunteer to try out a Long Island Iced Huel this afternoon. Just need to get a fresh bottle of orange liqueur. Funny you should bring this up as I was only considering this yesterday. Huel and alcohol - two birds, one stone. Speaking of which anyone tried Huel and weed? Maybe there’ll be Huel hash brownies at the weekend?!

7 Likes

Not that I’m endorsing use of recreational substances which are, in the UK at least, still illegal, I think I remember reading recently that the effects of marijuana (especially edibles) are increased by consumption of carbohydrates and fats but decreased by consumption of sugars. I may be wrong so don’t quote me on that. Ok sorry for contributing to the hijacking of this post (a metaphor for alcohol being a gateway, anyone?), let’s get back to the OPs question: does anyone know if eating before you drink affects the absorption of alcohol and if a nice well rounded meal like Huel is any better/worse?

1 Like

Have to say I’m quite impressed by the owners of huel to allow all and anything to be discussed on their forum.
For me am excellent selling point and makes me like huel all the more.

Anyway on topic. Eating and drinking. Having a very dodgy stomach. If i eat even a small meal or even a sandwich drinking afterwards is almost a waste of time. It’s like their is a plug blocking a hole.
Must say I’ve never thought of food absorbing alcohol. I’ve sort of felt it sort of blocking passage.
Hence I’ll do the really bad thing of never eating then drinking much more fun.
And huel sure makes for a fast takeaway!

Huel and a nice chocolate stout sounds great. 500ml bottle is ideal.

1 Like

I’ll volunteer to try some Huel hash brownies if you want to send me some :grin:

4 Likes

In a moment of madness/inspiration I added a teaspoon of dark rum to the chocolate and cherry huel combo I had just come up with. The rum really dominates the other flavours which surprised me as I hadn’t thought a teaspoon would do that much. It reminds me of a cherry liqueur chocolate. Very drinkable, but was equally good without the rum. Will be doing a few huel cocktail experiments over the next few days. If anyone wants to throw some suggestions my way, please do. Perfect for my inner alcoholic.

3 Likes

500ml of the new vegan Baileys and 100g Huel…

4 Likes

Sounds like a challenge to me. How about we both make it up and see who can down it fastest? That’s a real challenge. Video to be uploaded as proof.

1 Like

I’m down for this. When I get round to it I will upload a video.

1 Like

500ml of Vegan Baileys? That’s going to be strong - and the most expensive concoction yet. The quest to find a bottle on my provincial neck of the woods goes on…

1 Like

I assume it’s not so much that the food absorbs the alcohol, but that it stops your body from absorbing so much alcohol into your bloodstream.

What makes you think it wouldn’t behave like other food in this way? Huel is a full meal; that’s the point of it.

1 Like

I still haven’t tried the vegan Bailey’s. For some reason it doesn’t quite appeal. But today I added some Salted Caramel Coffee Liqueur to my evening Huel and it’s going down very nicely indeed.

1 Like

I tried regular Baileys and it was lovely… a bit too nice, I’d drink it more often if I didn’t need to do sensible things like work, drive and look after small people!

1 Like

I don’t understand this… Why would you add a protein synthesis inhibitor to your Huel?!

Mmm…delicious protein synthesis inhibitor… :yum::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Huelcohol?

2 Likes

:smile: Good one!

1 Like

I would have gone with alcohuel, but… :wink:

6 Likes

Ha ha, also good! :smile: