Huel version 2.0 is now live!

This is not true in the slightest. We have no contract with any suppliers of salt or sodium.

5 Likes

My water supply is fluoridated (good old Northumbrian Water) so unless I spit the tap water back out (or purchase separate non-fluoridated water) Iā€™m ingesting it.

Does your area add fluoride to water?

Filtering in general does not remove fluoride.

Additionally Iā€™m reading articles that suggest sports drinks, beers, wines, processed drinks, processed foods are all sources of fluoride ingestion.

Also teflon / non-stick coated pans should be avoided and stainless steel used instead.

Whilst personally Iā€™m not exactly bathing in it, but for the past near 49 years Iā€™ve been ingesting it probably every day, exceeding suggested levels but have lovely teeth to show for it, I cannot really avoid it in one form or another.

That given I have decided that I will not be avoiding Huel V2.0 either.

2 Likes

So, how long will 2.0 be around? When will we know if the salt level will be altered or not, and the fluoride removed or not?

It appears many of us donā€™t want 2.0 as it stands.
I would love to have a longstanding subscription for myself and my husband, but the salt and fluoride are putting me off.

Iā€™d just like to know if/when changes will be made so I can either make my own, find a different provider or just go back to solid food.

1 Like

I didnā€™t think Huel manufactured Huelā€¦ if that makes sense.

I thought the Huel came up with the formula and had it manufactured for them. So all they have to do is reformulate it and get rid of whatever they ordered.

My two cents in this ā€œworryingā€ thread.

I am an avid Huel consumer since the days of 1.0. The transition to 1.2 was pain-free, and helped getting rid of the lumps (I actually liked them here and thereā€¦) but reading this thread I see:

• fluoride
  • (too much) salt
  • taste significantly changed.

To me, this was enough to cancel my subscription, as, at the time of writing, there are no exhaustive answers from the staff.
I will order, maybe, a sample of the new version, but I donā€™t see the point to make all the changes that were made. It just made me look for alternatives.
If the product was (nearly) perfect and nobody complained, why change?

3 Likes

Can you provide evidence?

Regarding the salt issue, thinking back to last year, some people were actually asking whether extra salt could be added. There was a question over whether people were not getting enough salt. For a while I was getting headaches and wondered if this was due to lack of salt. It was something that James was looking at for a long time, so it wasnā€™t just a sudden decision.

That being said, I do think it has too much salt now.

1 Like

It is a pity that the issue with salt and fluoride has completely overtaken this thread - there are so few comments about lutein/zeaxanthin/lycopene, the reduction in vitamin/mineral amounts, the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, xylitol, and the replacement of folic acid.

I would very much like to know peopleā€™s thoughts about those too, because I can only do so much of my own searching and investigations.

2 Likes

There is good reason why these two issues have dominated discussion. Either on their own potentially render Huel unusable for sizeable groups of users -To make two ā€œbreaking changesā€ at once is incredible.

The addition of phytonutrients with evidence for their merits is great but itā€™s an interesting path to wander down as there are literally trillions of phytochemicals - we know very little about which ones have an affect on our health and to what extent (if any). Presumably by adding powdered whole-foods like tomatoes (without being able to isolate the Lycopene specifically) this will change the balance of other nutrients (micro-nutrients in particular). I donā€™t like to think that the core Huel formula is so fragile that the addition of a few new phytonutrients will change the ingredients balance on every new release.

The substitution of seemingly more available ingredients is a noble idea. But that could also be a game of whack-a-mole.

The Xylitol/Maltodextrin thing was pretty trivial in terms of quantity but an improvement nonetheless. Itā€™s changes like this that Iā€™d hope are ā€œlocked inā€ now - i.e. they will be changed very very rarely - and only for good reason.

I donā€™t know enough to comment on the Omega-3 and 6 ratios.

TLDR - if it ainā€™t broke donā€™t fix it. Donā€™t make loads of changes to the formula at once. Donā€™t arbitrarily release a new formula every couple of months without any prior warning. Itā€™d be nice to asymptotically approach a theoretical ā€œfinal formulaā€ - i.e. less changes occur over time. Weā€™re getting the opposite of that.

5 Likes

Dont forget Carrageenan!

1 Like

My only issue with Carrageenan is this move towards adding needless thickeners. There is nothing wrong if your liquid separates - just shake it and drink it. Why does everything have to achieve a pristine aesthetic - itā€™ll be an absolute mess in your stomach in a second anyway!

1 Like

I have also skipped my current 16bag/2month subscription shipment looking forward to the Huel team properly addressing the issues raised by the community. The fact that the reasoning isnā€™t properly explained after so much time is more worrying to me than the changes in the Huel formula themselves. Huel team in the near past has been so eager to answer all community questions and now I feel like they avoid to address the most serious of concerns Iā€™ve seen raised since last year when I began being a customer.

5 Likes

Because haters and trollers, who think they own the company, always whine and complainā€¦ To hard for them to shake, I guess.

2 Likes

Exactly. Iā€™ve never understood why liquid separating freaks so many people out. Mine separates every single day into 3 parts. Top is a weird brown clear liquid where my coffee is, next layer is the majority of Huel and the bottom is large bits of oats etc. Quick shake and itā€™s all sorted.

2 Likes

I really, really like Huel 2.0 as it is, so thank you, team, good game, donā€™t change anything.

Please, trollers, haters and paranoids, stop whining and snivelling.
Get out, fork the recipe if you want, buy other products, get a life, but please, STOP.

5 Likes

I think you mean ā€œpaying customers who care about what they put into their bodies, who are asking reasonable questions in a space designed for them to ask those questions.ā€

Itā€™s not trolling to respond to a thread in an honest way, itā€™s not hate to ask why the salt levels have gone up, itā€™s not paranoia to discuss possibilities in the light of no clear answers, itā€™s not snivelling to check the salt levels within Huel and reason solutions. Itā€™s how the product improves. Itā€™s how the business grows. Itā€™s how we all drink more Huel, and tell our friends to drink it too.

We all love Huel, we are all paying customers - hence the understandable debate when the product changes.

This isnā€™t the army, we arenā€™t here to follow orders: debate and questions are good.

9 Likes

No.
A company offers a product, you like or not, you buy it or not. But you canā€™t act as if you were the boss or the designer of the product.
A company canā€™t respond to everyone whim, fear or preference, itā€™s impossible.

2 Likes

While this is true, companies also need to listen to customer feedback. They donā€™t necessarily need to act on it but alarm bells should sound when you see overwhelming feedback AGAINST the changes youā€™ve made.

Saying all that I bet Huel is selling just as well as ever and if sales are good then I doubt anything will change.

1 Like

This is a forum.

82% of the people on this forum have said they wish for the SF to be reviewed. This is not a whim.
The RDA for salt intake is 6%, this isnā€™t a preference - itā€™s a fact.
Fear is born from the unknown, while we are debating statistics and facts (eg actual content).

Ghostwatch, BBCā€™s 1992 live Halloween documentary, where ā€œMr Pipesā€ appeared and then re-appeared before attacking Sarah Green in the basement was full of fear.

This is simply a forum for a tasty and healthy drink. To debate, discuss and question.

7 Likes

Trollers here are not on this forum to debate. They are here to bend Huel company to their own will, and they wonā€™t stop to attack and attack again, until they succeed.
(and this is 82% of the voters, actually)

1 Like