Huel version 2.0 is now live!

Argh, down to my last v1.2 bag and genuinely a bit freaked out about placing my next order! I’ve only just got people at work not giving me weird looks for drinking shakes all the time, I can’t let them win by quitting :wink:

I recently finished my last bag of v1.2 and have now, due to already ordering the next shipment before realising exactly what had been changed in the formula, have opened my first bag of v2.0.

From a purely taste experience, I don’t know what all the fuss is about - personally I think the slightly saltier taste is welcome, as it makes the mix a bit more savoury - but I can’t notice any difference in texture, and I reckon those having issue with consistency just need to adjust their Huel to water ratio?

The only issue I have with it, as well documented in another thread, is the introduction of Fluoride to the ingredients.
Having been personally Fluoride free for the past few years by careful selection of toothpaste and bespoke water filtration, this is a massive concern, but I will sacrifice this for a short term as the alternative is to waste 4 bags of Huel.

I honestly hope there is an update on this in the next couple of weeks, which will be roughly when I will run out, as to accidentally order is vastly different from intentional… and I’m not sure I can bring myself to continue to support Huel if Fluoride is being forced upon us.

To Huel; is there any way those of us concerned can specifically order any remaining v1.2 stock whilst this issue is being figured out??

1 Like

I would also be very keen to order v1.2.

While you might not be bothered by the taste, bear in mind the Huel v2.0 would carry an amber salt warning from the British Heart Fundation and Blood Pressure UK.

Blood Pressure UK have this to say specifically about “medium” level salty food:

Medium - 0.3-1.5g salt per 100g of food - Eat small amounts occasionally

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourlifestyle/Eatingwell/Salt

Huel v2.0 is at the upper end of that range (1.3g per 100g) and most Huel users probably go beyond what would be considered “small amounts occasionally”.

Just trying the make the point the salt content really is a health issue. The health benefits of reducing salt intake (to below the levels of Huel v2.0) are pretty much the least controversial and most undisputed across all of medicine and nutrition.

1 Like

To Huel; is there any way those of us concerned can specifically order any remaining v1.2 stock whilst this issue is being figured out??

I have 5 bags of v1.2 I’m happy to sell. Unopened. Vanilla flavoured - in a nutshell, I purchased them but can’t have them because they contain gluten, so now on gluten free Huel.

I’m in North London - feel free to drop me a message to arrange.

I will not resume my order of 100% huel until a) they are finished looking into it, b) answer the questions repeatedly voiced here, c) have some official statement explaining how it went wrong and d) fix the product.

And hopefully very soon, because if they haven’t done this by the time my last bag of v1.2 runs out I will be purchasing from a competitor. I am not demanding anything, I’m letting huel know what I think of their product in text, in case voting with my wallet wasn’t already loud enough.
The very poor response from huel is just as off putting as the salt and the sf.

5 Likes

I wonder if there are some variations in the texture and consistency between batches of V2? A friend has also said the V2 is a lot thicker and gloopy, and that’s with the same water/huel mix, as have others, but then some others say no notice? Do you use a blender or a shaker? Is it 3 scoops per 500ml? Would be interesting to have a poll to see if there are variations going on.

1 Like

2 bags of 1.2 left eep!

I started looking around for other products and heard about Nutberg somewhere on this forum. I am just waiting for delivery, also got some Ambronite on route.

Both look like much better natural products without all the processed food type stuff that is in Huel.

I did order Huel V2 as the way I see it, the salt isnt really a problem in the way I use Huel, only thing I wouldnt actively go out of my way to consume are the other components in the UU version, but I guess I could smoke crack once a day for a month and it wouldnt kill me ha!

UU Huel to me when made with 3 scoops to 450-500ml of water seems thinner than v1.2 when shaken for 10-20 seconds and drank and it does taste salty, not in a nice way but not in an intolerable way either, it would be better if it didnt have the salty taste that it does now.

I did notice if its left in the fridge for hours or overnight it develops a paint like smell/taste to it which is crazy and it really settles in the bottom of the shaker like insanely thick gloop. Its like drinking thick diluted paint.

1 Like

Haven’t personally tried any alternatives cos I’m too lazy, but read around a lot and no one is 100% happy with any of them. They all have pluses and minuses. I think the ethic and people behind Huel stands up to scrutiny. They appear to really care about the product and for the right reasons. Some of the others out there it’s purely business, others are just nut-jobs. Just don’t want my Huel to go away

3 Likes

In fact now I think about it, Huel now exhibits non-newtonian fluid properties!

It should be marketed as edible Oobleck!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, the Huel crew have earned a lot of good will from a number of us I think. I really don’t want to switch unless I have to

4 Likes

Their lame fob off regarding saltand sf has eroded the goodwill I had for them. Now they need to convince me if they want my money.

1 Like

I posted this in another thread but I hope it is OK to repeat part of it here because I think the calculation gives an important perspective and I want to reach the subscribers on this larger thread.

Here is another way of thinking about it using the per 2000 calories Huel uses.

2000 kcal Huel v2.0 = 6.4g salt.
2000 kcal of Walkers Ready Salted = 5.4g salt. (11.7 packs at 171 kcal per pack * 0.46g salt)

If you ask someone what would be wrong with a diet consisting purely of Walkers Ready Salted Crisps I think most peoples first answer would be that would be too much salt. Huel v2.0 is 18% saltier than Walkers Ready Salted!

For me the real problem is that I thought Huel was carefully designed by knowledgable nutritionists. If they mistook max salt for recommended salt when reducing salt is the single most well known and universally accepted dietary health intervention you wonder how much you can trust them for anything else. The EU numbers were explicitly renamed a few years ago (from “Guideline Daily Amount” to “Reference Intake”) to avoid exactly this mistake.

How can you describe doubling the salt content of Huel to now be nearly 20% higher than salted crisps as the addition of “a tiny amount”.

By Huel logic the pure crisps diet is actually deficient in salt, and a woman consuming 2000kcal of Ready Salted a day should supplement with 0.6g of salt to reach the EU Reference Intake. To me that sounds completely ridiculous so I hope it brings home to others the scale of the error here.

Never mind the flouride thing which to my mind has less serious health consequences but seems an equally bizarre decision (it only has benefit topically applied to teeth - there is no dietary benefit to ingesting SF).

I realise I might be coming across as a bit of an internet crazy person but my IBS is back with a vengence and I really miss Huel v1.2 which was working so well for me.

3 Likes

…sounds like a challenge.

1 Like

Fair enough! I tried asking a few people and actually got equal responses for saturated fat and salt…

I suppose you’d be okay as long as you started off by just replacing one meal a day with crisps before working up to two and then going up to 100% in stages.

6 Likes

Does it have to just be ready salted?

2 Likes

I’m starting to wonder whether or not the previous 8 bags of 2.0 really was 2.0. In the end I’ll have to trust that this is the case. It was batch 2415, 07/17.

Just got another 8 bags, as per my usual order, of batch 2439 08/17, and WOW… the consistency for the exact same amount of powder in the exact same amount of water was SO different.

As in I heard and felt it when I was shaking it up. Gloop gloop gloop… and it drank like syrup. Had to add plenty of water. I’m not looking forward to doing five or more deciliters per 100g just to get it drinkable for me. It feels like I’m looking at 8 bags of ordeal. I will not be ordering as many bags next time just to check ahead of time if the consistency is the same. After which I will shop around for alternatives.

Figured I’d just add my voice to the mass in here. One bottle and I was wondering what happened? How much xanthan gum or whatever else is doing this… is in this stuff?

PLEASE, do… something? Consistency and temperature are my absolute top aspects when consuming this. It was so watery and drinkable before.

Edit: The fluoride and salt is also a concern. Not happy about what I’m reading in here.

Edit 2: 5dl-100grams, 1dl more than my earlier proportion. Definitely thicker. While I could earlier tip it over and it would just rush down my throat it’s now a steady slow gruelling process of having it drip down. Almost feels like it’s getting stuck in the plastic netting, it’s so thick. And this is with more water than before. I can no longer say I’m looking forward to my next bottle. This is going to be a long month.

1 Like

I will check on Tuesday what my batch was, as mine was also super gloopy, but then I’d seen others saying no change or thinner than 1.2 and I wondered if there had been a bad batch. Will be very interesting if they are both from the same batch!

2 Likes

Considering mine were both 2.0 but markedly different, I’m hoping wildly that it’s a bad batch. The whole reason I bought a full 8 bags for the second round of 2.0 was that it was exactly the same from earlier, consistency-wise. Otherwise I wouldn’t have.

It is so surprisingly artificially thick. Guess this month I’ll be drinking waay more water…

Edit: This forum format is bleeding my eyes.