Huel version 2.0 is now live!

I agree with you.
No real problems, just the saltiness.
I don’t find it gloopy or lumpy.

Iama_Cloan: What batch number are you on currently?

2415, i think

1 Like

@Iama_Cloan: Yeah, that’s my earlier batch I mentioned a few posts up. Watery and smooth. I just got in 2439, and it was different. Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

I got a new delivery coming next week. I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

Just finished my stash of 1.2, having a first sip of 2.0… The saltiness is unbearable. Too bad I just started a big subscription, putting it on hold now…

1 Like

Hi Gen, Just in the office and checked my batch number for V2, mine is also 2439 08/2017, so looks like they could have a bad batch. I wonder what their return policy is for a dodgy batch?

What batch number of V2 did you have, both myself and Gen have gloopy consistency with batch 2439 08/2017

If managing my diet was easy, effortless and didn’t take much time I wouldn’t be ordering Huel, now would I? Do you understand that logic?

Hi Gen, Looks like the new consistency is here to stay, had a reply from Huel…

“Batch #2439 incorporates a new gum which is now in-line with the vanilla flavour. The gum is an emulsifier which keeps components well-mixed throughout the shaking and afterwards. The change was required as the old gum used was not allowing particles to stay together (it was considerably more watery).”

:cry:

1 Like

The most scary part about this for me is … the way it was just rolled out so quickly without any form of beta testing or anything (give a few samples out to the most predominate forum users or something).
We are expected to be guzzling this stuff daily and putting all of our trust into these experts.
Now that everything seems to be going wrong there seems to be radio silence. At least put out an official statement or something.

This whole experience has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended).

3 Likes

I started this on my other thread but thought i would put here as i wanted a response regarding this.

I first discovered Huel via someone i know who used 1.2 and seeing how much they loved the product I didn’t actually pay too much attention to the contents of 2.0 because i saw everything i needed on 1.2 (maybe my mistake!). Also being 2.0 i would have thought it was even better (i am sure it is in places).

But now i feel this product has just gone from an absolute genius way of ensuring your macros to something is dangerous.

I never even looked at the competition before i ordered i just took the information on the website and the articles relating to bulking on here - i guess they are all old and based on 1.2??

I wanted ideally to consume Huel 100% but seems like this is now madness.

Even in the booklet it shows the example of Seth, 25 year old male bla bla needs to consume 2,454 and in order to gain says to consume 1,520 of Huel and the remaining calories via evening meals. That would still make it dangerous on salt levels and thats based on your own marketing example!

I mean i don’t know how you can also say ‘Some go 100% but most sub one or two a day’ everyone is different and everyone needs different calories etc. I mean even if i was to consume 2000 calories of Huel how do i get the remainder of my calories without over consuming salt again?

So by me actually trying to consume 3400 calories of this stuff a day you are putting my heath at serious risk!

I would really appreciate some comments from @Julian or @JamesCollier - I signed up today for a subscription to this (initially 4 bags every 3 weeks but was going to up that to 5).

Really disappointed to be honest - feel a bit of a dick now having told everyone how good this is.

3 Likes

Hi @user133

Your comments are noted and we will respond to the salt issue.

Thanks

Yup, batch 2439 08/2017…

Looks like they’ve added the same rancid gum as in the vanilla version. The wateriness was a good thing!

3 Likes

Every day, there are changes in food products recipes, all over the world. Do you think each manufacturer is going to shout out that he just added a new ingredient ? Do you even care when you go to the supermarket that the products you bought last week are EXACTLY the same as today ?

When you first started Huel, did you even consider that the vitamin blend could be harmful for you body, all of them being rated at 100% GDA. What if you eat something else and then go beyond these 100% ?

“Putting all our thrust into these experts” : are you kidding or are they really some of you people that think Huel is like a company of doctors and scientists who sit all day long trying to build for you the perfect recipe for your health, and in the same time saving your money ??? Huel is part of the food industry, and it makes a product that THEY think is good, and that THEY think will sell ok. It is your responsibility to buy that product, then never claimed to be expert in nutrition…

This thread is not about feedback anymore. It’s about people dictating to a company that they want this added, or that removed. It’s funny to see not much time ago there was a thread about Huel having not enough salt. Now it’s too much. If tomorrow 300 people subscribe to that forum and come tell everybody that high doses of potassium can alter cardiac contraction, and that they want it removed from Huel, what should they do ? Did you know Vit K is a key factor of coagulation ? If a group of brocoli fans decided that 100% of vit K intake in Huel is too much because they already eat 2kg of brocoli per day, what should Huel do ?

I’m pretty sure none of you even measured his sodium intake before they bought Huel. And you were probably off the charts, at 10g per day like most of the population even without using actual “salt”. Same with fluoride, you certainly stuffed yourself with it whilst drinking tap water, and you never really cared about it… But now, it’s a big concern, because you think that Huel is the miracle product that’s gonna make you a healthier person…

4 Likes

Thank you Matt. They did not mention that to me in the very brief acknowledgment I received to my complaints. Just opened a new post on viscosity alone, and will be citing that.

They market (and encourage) this product as a complete meal replacement.
Of course I am going to be concerned when they release an untested version which seems unsuitable for purpose.

3 Likes

Reading the posts back and forth i’m starting to realize that all the people who complain refer to Huel more as a medecine than actual food. You are talking about beta testing, pre releases etc etc…There are no such things in the food industry. The only pre release is based on taste alone, on a little range of users.

Even the vitamin blends that you buy, for most of it, isn’t beta tested or whatever…This is not medication, it’s just a nutrition complement, therefore it doesn’t have to pass all the regulations of actual medication.

Same with Huel, it is just food. Do you ask at the grocery shop what type of pesticide is used to grow their tomatoes ? Regularly (because they can change their formula too, and the variety of tomato grains)?

Do you think the ready-to-eat sandwich that you bought yesterday has been tested on long term to see if the high levels of sugar that it induces is harmful for your body ?

NO. It’s food, it doesn’t have to be tested like drugs, it doesn’t have to provide you with tons of scientific reviews about the benefits of its components, and it doesn’t have to answer to all the specific details that each and everyone of you think is bad for his/her health. IT IS NOT a health product, it’s food. And i think they have been really following this thread and answering many questions.

Once again, i can’t see any similar type of customer service when we talk about food products. It just doesn’t exist. They certainly have a phone number or an adresse where you can complain. But here, you have a full forum to discuss with the actual guys that prepare the stuff. Don’t be too demanding. it’s ok to leave feedback, it’s not ok to claim that this or that isn’t appropriate in the recipe.

Has anybody thought that maybe, maybe, you couldn’t just lower the salt ou increase something else without ruining the entire recipe ? Again, it’s not a pill, it has to have a taste, a texture. Try making huel at home, with your own ingredients if you like.

I don’t care about Huel, i’m just one of their customers, but i think the way the things are going is not OK. If Huel starts to change the formula everytime there are a few complaints, where are we going ? Someone said earlier that 87% of customers are against theses changes, this is absolutely wrong, it’s only 87% of the voters. Fortunately, Huel has a bigger customer range.

7 Likes

I’m not referring to it as medicine at all, I was and still am very happy with V1.2 (luckily I still have plenty).
The only reason I mention some kind of testing is purely because currently it’s just salty gloop, this is just basic quality control, most companies have it.

My friend who’s V2.0 I tried was not so fortunate, they had V2.0 shipped to them automatically as part of their subscription.

3 Likes

I understand your point that people on the internet can nitpick unnecessarily. All I can say is I am not obsessed with my salt consumption - my interest started when I tasted v2.0 and found (by the taste alone) it to be saltier than anything else I would ever eat. It is basic general knowledge that high salt diet is bad for health so I came to the forum to check.

When I looked into the numbers I actually found it shocking. I would urge you to look into it yourself so you can understand why people are upset. This is not nitpicking over 3.7g v 4.5g or for some extreme cases like people who want 4000 caleries a day. Nor is it a case of everyone wanting some different little tweak to suit their demands. This is a serious mistake resulting in a doubling of the salt that now makes a 100% Huel diet unsafe (at least for older people) according to the entire medical profession.

If you don’t care about nutrition then you obviously have many more options. I think most Huel customers do care about nutrition. They certainly market and sell it as a healthy product and do make clear it was designed by a nutritionist.

Hopefully towards a useable product! While it might not bother you there are clearly quite a few people on the forum who were loyal and enthusiastic Huel customers, promoting by word of mouth, who will not use v2.0. Either because of the dangerously high salt content, the unwanted and unnecessary flouride, the taste, the gloopiness from the new gum or the artificial paint like smell. This is not endless complaints about an established product - v2.0 was a radical change.

I do also think other food does receive scrutiny from a nutrition point of view - that is why salt levels are finally coming down in many processed foods. I think if a supermarket doubled the salt content in its range of fancy ready meals it would probably make the national nightly TV news.

The US Tolerable Upper Limit for salt for anyone over 18 (they break it down by age) is 5.75g per day. That is defined as the level at which 97.5% of the population will experience no long term health effect from consumption at that level (therefore 2.5% will experience long term health effects at that level). 100% Huel significantly exceeds that level, even at 2000 calories, more for anyone eating more. I think I would find it hard to keep under and I just have Huel for lunch. Every scoop of Huel has more salt than a package of crips!

If you have some argument that this isn’t a health problem, or why you personally are not worried about high salt consumption thats fine. But I don’t really understand the argument that people should not care about it. I haven’t heard anything on here actually disputing that Huel v2.0 salt content is harmful to health. Given that, do you really think they shouldn’t change it?

Your contribution to the discussion seems to be that in your view Huel customers shouldn’t care about nutrition or health, and that Huel shouldn’t listen to customers. I don’t agree at all with either of those points.

9 Likes