POLL: Pre-bottled Huel, Yes or No?

Hey, guys - please debate nicely. We’re all friends here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We all like a mass debate here :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d better do as he says. Rumour has it that he can lift two people up simultaneously - one in each hand :laughing:

3 Likes

No more disposable bottles please.

1 Like

I would love it. That would make Huel even more convenient. I’d like to have that option, love the way bottled Soylent is served and I’d like Huel to do the same.

I’m too picky about how cold or how thick I want my Huel, never mind wanting to mix it with water or milk substitutes or add different flavours. I think Huel on tap would be difficult to get right for enough people.

There’s a company in france that uses very very similar branding to huel, to the point where it looks like someone’s copying someone. They have pre bottled drinks, and it really puts me off the brand. Besides the environmental issue, and the financial implications for huel (higher manufacturing cost, more waste)- what would they have to do to huel to make it last pre-mixed? They’d probably have to stabilise the formula with preservatives.

Assuming you’re referring to Feed, they don’t sell a ready-to-drink mix to my knowledge, so no preservatives are required - I believe they just send the powder in bottles. However, with products like Soylent 2.0 which is ready-to-drink, you don’t need to add any preservatives if your aseptic processing is up-to-scratch. In short, you need to heat the product to a temperature at which bacteria will all be denatured (essentially killed), and then whilst it is in such a sterile state, you seal it in a similar way to how bottles of milk are sealed. That prevents bacteria growth (which is what spoils food) until the seal is broken.

2 Likes

My mistake, I had assumed the pre-bottled ones were ready mixed. Thanks for the clarification, but the branding is very similar, no? It wasn’t so much the bacteria I was thinking about as that’s easy to deal with. It’s the degradation of nutrients- huel suggests to drink once mixed within 24hrs. So ready mixed huel would have to be a different formula- either stabilising the nutrients somehow or by substituting the ingredients?

Yeah, the branding is similar, but then it’s also similar to Soylent’s branding too. I think the reason to consume within 24 hours is to prevent spoilage due to bacteria - I don’t believe the nutrients would degrade in that timeframe. If I’m correct, you’d still want to consume within 24 hours of breaking the seal, but prior to that it’s stable.

2 Likes

Feed ready-to-drink:
https://www.feedsmartfood.com/collections/feed-ready-to-drink

I’ve only ever seen it out-of-stock, so I’m not altogether certain it’s actually been developed. Regardless though, it’ll be due to aseptic processing, not preservatives.

Same here, I think it’s not been released yet.

By the way, I have tried Feed. I’ve tried lots of different alternatives, but I’m still trying to find something that doesn’t give me a headache. I seem to react to so many things. It’s really strange. Even my own recent DIY recipe gave me a headache. So I’m still investigating that…

But my favourite so far has probably been Saturo, in terms of convenience and smooth neutral flavour. If anyone in Europe is looking for their own version of Soylent’s ready-to-drink, that’s definitely it. It’s just a shame about the waste, though, with all those bottles. Also, it’s a lot of water to deliver to someone.

So to continue the eco angle, how about installing a Huel mixer/dispenser beside every electric car recharge point as those roll out across the country? Take a bit of designing, but I’m sure the espresso and milk shake machine industries will have some advice. Pick your base, your flavour, your consistency and your temperature. Bring your own cup if you like…

Yes, it could work.

Recently moved to France, saw Feed in a local supermarket - 4e a bottle. Anyone has any info on whether it’s any good taste or nutrients-wise?

Is it the ready-to-drink version or the powder in a bottle version? If the latter, I received three flavours in a free sample pack: garden vegetables, spicy tomato and mushrooms. I enjoyed all three, finding them to taste similar to cold soups, but clumping was an issue. Nutrition-wise, it’s lower in protein than I’d like, only just being above the 50g RDA, but everything else is solid.

I presume the bottles would be plastic & that would put me off. I use glass or stainless steel to drink from &/or store. Not sure the fast food lovers are ready for Huel.

I’ve lost over a stone in weight since I started on Huel.

I’m convinced that at least some of that comes from the extra exercise - mainly the 20 seconds of shaking per Huel batch, plus the bending over (x2) to put a batch in the fridge, and take a batch out of the fridge.

And don’t even get me started on the power training that comes from turning the shaker lid on tight enough to not splatter around the kitchen.

So NO to this - the sheer physicality of the shaking / refrigerating is doing me the world of good!! :joy:

3 Likes

There is some crossover but I think there would be enough market for both as I found that the bars need quite a lot of fluid with them.
Also right now there are no bars available. :frowning:
What are the flavours that the pre-bottled might be available in?