Slight Change to Huel v2.2 Formula

To be nutritionally complete, we have to have a certain level to be legally compliant. Although I don’t agree with you, I fel the higher level of the US ‘RDA’ is more on point, backed by sound science.

Also, note that this thread is old and refers to v2.2 - we’re on v2.3 now with a different calcium inclusion.

Can you provide a source for this sound science?

I am looking at the nutritional label on my current pack of Huel (delivered last month).

James should I start a new thread to discuss this topic? Perhaps, that would be better for the forum’s organisation of topics.

There’s always google, or the official US gov page for calcium… info and 140 sources here: Calcium - Health Professional Fact Sheet :wink:

Thanks Tristan. For what I hope would be obvious reasons, I don’t generally trust government guidelines for health.

With regards to calcium, I’ll leave this here for anyone who cares about their health.

I apologise for the bad audio - it’s a shame it’s not better; however, all of the data is well presented so the bad microphone placement shouldn’t obscure the very clear message.

And of course, I would love to know if Huel has experts who check the studies or if they just blindly go with government guidelines.

If the former, I would love to know which studies helped with their decision, after all, I have been putting their product into my body - it would be nice to feel reassured.

Hang on a sec let me just grab my tin foil hat.

2 Likes

Which study that was referenced in the video do you refute?

:joy::joy::joy:

You got a spare? Could do with borrowing one right about now…

I’m not sure aluminium is going to preserve your self-image.

Please, I’d look fabulous! :wink:

1 Like

Actually, the science shows that tinfoil hats wouldn’t attenuate signals, they’d actually act as an amplifier, it’s the very definition of irony lol.

1 Like

That’s cool. Always do your own research, but you can’t cast out 140 citations out of hand. Just because gov’ts have agendas it doesn’t stop science from being science, no matter how they “interpret” it.

Thanks, I watched some of this video and thought it was pretty interesting. I’ve been using huel for about 18 months now and recently had blood tests to try to pin down the cause of my unexplained various vague symptoms. I was really surprised when the results came back and showed slightly low levels of calcium. Everything else was fine. I’m now wondering if the high calcium levels in huel are behind this. I really don’t want to have to stop using huel, but will wait for the results of the blood test done to look specifically at calcium, then I might decide to try eliminating huel and see what happens. I don’t consume any animal or dairy products, and like you I’m sceptical about the govermentire recommended RDAs and food pyramids because of the apparent lobbying from the meat and dairy industries.

Wouldn’t we all suffer from this though?

I go through around a pint of whole milk a day during maintenance and bulking, plus around 500g Huel, a chicken breast and some veggies.

My bloods are literally flawless with no deficiencies, have been since I was 16 with glandular fever…

As I said, I’m just wondering. As a middle aged woman it’s more likely to be hormone related. Watching the video threw up some interesting thoughts

Calling myself an ‘expert’ would be a incredibly arrogant, but - as the information on this site should indicate - we do not ‘blindly go with government guidelines’. There are a number of factors that help my decision making process on amounts of any micronutrient including bioavailability, how the inclusion affects the product, how it behaves over shelf-life, any nutrient-nutrient interactions, plus - of course - evidence on levels for optimal nutritional intake. Do bear in mind, that the minimum levels per 2,000 calories of Huel are also based on the notable population sub-group with the highest requirements. Also, to be ‘nutritionally complete’ we have to at least meet the NRV at 2,000 calories.

2 Likes

Might well be hormone related, low Oestradiol can Lower blood calcium levels a bit, I’m Hypogonadal and on TRT, when I first started my calcium was quite low, getting my Testosterone and Oestradiol back in line has also got the serum calcium to where it should be.

Optimal Vitamin D levels are also another factor when it comes to calcium absorption.