Sucralose and gut biota

We have not as many people perceive aspartame in a negative way

1 Like

I understand. Sad, though.

Did you do something to get rid of the Stevia after-taste?

The flavour pouches are a combination of sweetener and flavour and any after-taste is subjective.

I just wonder why, when all of us here are presumably using Huel because it is one of the healthiest meal replacements available, would anyone then add in anything that is possibly going to cause their bodies harm in the long term…?
I personally do not mind unflavoured/unsweetened Huel, for me its for fuel not pleasure, and I cannot bear the after taste of stevia, aspartame/sucralose et al, so I would only ever add real fruits or sometimes vegetable stock.

2 Likes

The ADI for Sucrolose is currently 5mg/kg of bodyweight I believe.

The average UK man is 5ft 9in tall and weighs 83.6kg giving an ADI of 418mg. The average UK woman is 5ft 3in tall and weighs 70.2mg giving an ADI of 351mg.

Vanilla Huel provides 132.37mg sucralose per 2,000kcal which is 31% or 37% of the ADI for the average UK man or woman respectively.

That’s not to say that consumption of Sucrolose doesn’t negatively affect the microbiome (or have other negative affects), but aspartame has also been shown to negatively affect gut bacteria, so it wouldnt make sense to switch sweeteners on that basis alone.

If I may ask which company is this? Is it also based in the UK?

aspartame

U/U is with the stevia flavour pouches is great - you can adjust the sweetness to match your personal preference. I find the sweetened vanilla variety okay in small doses, but it gets a bit too sweet everyday for me.

The other day I realised I was chugging back neat U/U and I’d forgotten to add the flavour and it tasted fine to me. I wouldn’t have liked it without any extra flavouring when I started drinking it over a year ago, but now it’s great.

1 Like

Those of you who are not enjoying the stevia based flavour packets, you should check out the MyProtein Flavdrops which use sucralose as sweetener. I use a big squirt of those in my Huel and it tastes great. My favourite is the toffee flavour.

1 Like