Cardio or heavy weights

Afternoon everyone

An unusual question, which may get divided answers …
As my weight is dropping, (THANKYOU Huel) should I spend more time doing cardio to lose weight OR heavy gym work to keep muscle and get stronger ?
Some weeks my weight doesn’t seem to drop … and weight loss has slowed recently …
I also do a 3+ mile dog walks virtually daily and 2-3 10+ mile cycle rides per week

Off to the gym now … I do 3+ visits for about a hour a week (shoulders, chest and heavy weights today … should I be better off spending the hour on cardio ??)

Ideally both.
However, strength is more useful during cut to keep muscle mass and also muscles increase your metabolism.

I usually say I do weights for my body and cardio for my brain as I feel this is true, for me.

3 Likes

Yes ideally both.

I do 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights. They say cardio burns the most calories but with weight training you keep on burning even on the next day. So I think the ideal workout should have both.

2 Likes

Thankyou
Think the gym will stay my heavy weight sessions and cardio sessions will be cycling and long walks !

Now to keep losing the lbs …

1 Like

Personally I’d go with the weights.
But I’m not saying “don’t do cardio”, I’m saying “don’t do cardio in the gym” :stuck_out_tongue:

Get out on a bike or something, it’s much more interesting and if you have to go from A to B for a moderate distance anyway (3+ miles daily but not something ridiculous like 20 each way on a daily basis) it really doesn’t take a huge amount of extra time up

edit: only just noticed that your last comment indicates that this is exactly what you plan to do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can do all the weights in the world but have a crap heart.

Get some cardio done and keep the old beater going strong. Remember, the heart is a muscle that needs training more than any other muscle in the body. :smiley:

I know people who can bench 200 but can’t run a 5K for shit.

I find a 10k every Sunday keeps it chugging along just fine.

1 Like

I agree … with all comments :+1:
Think the cycling and dog walks will cover much of the cardio work
So I reckon I have To keep up the good work and maybe intensify it occasionally

1 Like

I use Fitbit to track my calories expended. If you eat a 500 defecit you will loose weight. Eat 500 more you will gain weight. Weight training is better for getting in shape.

Im no expert but a few thoughts… Building muscle is vital. Lifting weights 3 days a week with a good routine will pay dividends. Muscle is heavier than fat, so you might not see your weight drop - but if you are on a calorie deficit you will be burning fat. If you dont lift - your body will burn muscle first - youll just look deflated. Ive been on weight loss since Jan 18. I dont weigh myself anymore but with lifting weights and cutting calories my body is transforming (im 46) Ive lost 5 inch of my waist and clothes fit and hang well - thats more important than the scales.

I do 2 days of HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training (30sec hiit, 30 sec rest x 10 x 3 sets - 40 mins) - again proven to be a greater fat burner than ‘cardio’

As for the comment about working the heart - weights do this well… i wear a polar heart strap and my heart will easily go to 70-80% max during a weight session. In short, lift weights, do HIIT and throw away the scales!

Good luck!

This is normally bollocks - To make this work with a 500 caloric deficit you’d need to put on 1lb lean mass a week, that’d be a heck of an achievement!

THANKYOU all

I too had noticed the trousers / shirts getting baggier !
I went to the gym this morning and felt great ! Lifted and pushed for longer with heavier weights so a good work out
Also joined in the Dad’s race at my boys sports day … and didn’t come anywhere near the back !!
I gained about 3lb this week :cry: but that’s a meal pre theatre AND had to snack at work while on nights … forgot my huel !

Will do weights and cycling at least 3 x a week plus Huel for 2 meals a day …
So far so good !!

As i say… im no expert! I think we can agree muscle is heavier than fat… but i always had a general understanding that if you were on a calorie deficit, your body would ‘eat’ muscle first unless you worked it (or took proteins and BCAAs) which would force it to switch and eat fat? I know its probably a lot more technical than this but I’m sure if you only did cardio on a calorie deficit you’d deflate away, losing muscle and body shape? no?

No no you’re right there - Without progressive overload and sufficient protein intake your muscles will experience atrophy while in a caloric deficit.

I’m just saying I see a load of fat people saying “I haven’t lost any weight but I’ve been going to the gym so I think I’ve gained the weight in muscle”… I’m like ye OK mate :joy:

might be going to the curry shop after the gym!

1 Like

Or they made the same mistake I did in the beginning. I put on weight in my first few weeks because I was tracking my burned calories but it wasn’t accurate.

The tool I was using back then told me I had burned 950kcals per session. So whenever I got back from gym I started eating. And I thought that was okay because I had burned so much I could compensate…

Now I just stick to 1600kcals and 30min. Weights and 30min. Cardio every day and now I am actually losing weight. I don’t count the burned calories anymore.

Note: I am a tiny woman so for me this regime works.

1 Like