📓 Daily Journal: Intermittent Fasting (16:8), ED Recovery and Weight Loss

I love how supportive this thread is. This is my first comment on the forum so I’m not sure how to tag people, but you go girl! xxx

Not sure if this is any use to you, but when I was trying to lose weight, I found that corn thins and hummus were a really good snack. I tend to crave savoury, maybe because Huel is quite sweet, and they are a nutritious and surprisingly filling low fat/low cal snack. Maybe you could try swopping them for some of your sweet treats. They really are yummy, especially sweet chilli or red pepper hummus.

@Lulu awh glad to have you pop by! Here I was thinking no one was reading my thread anymore HAHA :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah, gotta love the Huel community :slight_smile: thanks!
(oh and if you want to tag, just type “@” and their username)

@Wendy_Shepherd ooh that’s a good idea! My savoury and pretty low-cal/high protein snacks are

• hard boiled eggs
  • wafer thin chicken slices
  • popcorn
  • pop chips
  • beef jerky
  • pork cracklings
  • butternut squash chips/roasted veggies

I’m quite wary of the high calories in hummus(?)

I’m still reading!

I did a quick Google search re calories in hummus versus some of your other snacks

Hummus 166 cal per 100g
Beef jerky 410 cal per 100g
Pork crackling 544 cal per 100g
Hard boiled eggs 155 cal per 100g
Wafer thin chicken 105 cal per 100g

Probably no need to worry about calories in hummus, especially as it’s packed with so much goodness from the chickpeas, sesame seeds etc.

How do you get the journal icon on your thread title? I’m planning on starting one now but really want to be part of the cool kids club and use that little piccy thing!

Day 68

Weight: 56.6kg gained less than expected, but no reason not still try to keep my deficit up

Food Intake:

• 12 slices wafer thin chicken, 1 20g slice turkey breast
  • THGarden Party—1 burger :hamburger:, 1/2 sausage (idk why I got this tbh), strawberries, raspberries, 1/2 Mr Whippy ice cream w choc sauce
  • Snacks—125g green beans w sesame sauce
  • Dinner—1/2 of (100g Huel w 15g MochaProtein) this actually tastes so good and has great macros, but I gotta find a way to get it to mix better haha
  • 1 ~175g cinnamon apple cake
  • 2.5 brioche

Exercise: HIIT & short gym sesh

Other Observations:

• So…the next phase of food challenges begins today. I got this.
  • I am CONVINCED that the 4kg I’ve lost is all fat from my boobs :joy::sob::tired_face:
  • Breakthrough! So when I first started my journey at 61.4kg, I absolutely abhorred what I saw in the dressing room mirror and wanted to cry every time I tried clothes on. BUT today at Primark… I started to like what’s I saw in the mirror! I’m not sure how perceptible the difference is, but to me, with all my myopic glory, it seems like I could be a little smaller!
  • Sigh couldn’t take it and purged. It’s hard.

@Squizzle Yay! :smiley:

@Wendy_Shepherd you can copy and paste it from here :notebook: (it’s an emoji!) HAHA the cool kids club :stuck_out_tongue:
Oh I see, I’ve always thought hummus just has MASSIVE amounts of calories, but I suppose so long as I watch the portion size it could be a great and nutritious snack! :slight_smile:

@chrisjeffy98 copy and paste not working for me. I’m using my Samsung galaxy to post. Is there a code for it?

@Wendy_Shepherd try this?

Thanks! That’s worked :slight_smile:

Day 69

Weight: 56.2kg

Food Intake: (~3824kcal)

• 1/2 of (100g Huel 15g MochaProtein)
  • ABACUS Garden Party—~400ml Prosecco, ~150ml white wine, 1 tempura prawn, some pork
  • 1/2 strawberry protein bar
  • 1 Huel bar
  • TrinMayBall—A LOT OF FOOD. NOT EVEN KIDDING. Onion Bhaji, Pulled pork, Dosa, Ice cream, brownie, banana bread, pizza, tuna w coleslaw, marinated tofu, 2(!!) Nutella crepes…

Other Observations:

• I can’t believe I’m still losing weight?? This gives me hope that I’ll be able to enjoy social events, control myself, AND still hit my goals. Although yeaaaah gotta work on doing it without purging. (I’m v aware purging rarely helps one lose weight tho it’s just a panic and physiological thing, mostly)
  • So today is going to be trying. Busy busy day. Irregular eating times. Social event. Alcohol. Going to be working at an event for 12h. At night. But regardless it’s still calories in calories out, so my plan is
  1. Move as much as possible
  2. Don’t worry about IF for today
  3. Count calories as per before midnight/after midnight since that’s how my Fitbit is recording it.
  4. Try to eat Huel/Huel Bars/Protein bars/chicken
  • Reflection: As envisioned, it was hard. Staying up til 8am. Working the looooong 12h shift. On my feet all the time. Being surrounded by yummy (and free!) food. But regardless, it was a GREAT experience that I would do again, and really did enjoy.
  • Did well: I would say that yes I overate by MILES, but I tried at every step of the way. Not once did I really feel completely out of control, although there was a point in time I felt like a fat fck and lowkey started to panic when I was working.
  1. I moved as much as I could: I danced whenever I could (even when working HAHAH it was such a great time), I got 10000 steps in before 7am, I went for walks and stuff. But it was a little difficult bc my job scope was to stand for the most part.
  2. I didn’t worry about IFing, because I know I can always come back to it, to do the best I can with the least distress.
  3. I’m not sure how I’m doing the calorie recording yet, I might just count it as yesterday and today as a new day so I don’t try to “compensate for a binge”?
  4. I tried to eat a Huel bar and protein bar so I won’t be ravenous, and I think it was a good idea! :slight_smile:

Day 70 (No Huel)

Weight: 57.5kg ahhhhhh well it was nice being nearly 56kg while that lasted :joy: so yes, eating a shit ton definitely shows on the scales.

Food Intake: (~3046kcal)

• CUMSA GP—strawberries, chocolate sauce, 2 scoops Aromi ice cream, chicken, pork, 1 egg sandwich, 1 kaya bread, some chocolate tart, etc.
  • Dinner—zero noodles packet, 1/2 veggie packet, 70g chicken w bbq sauce. 8 strawberries, 4 ham, 1 turkey slice
  • Bread binge: peel & cs like 20-22 brioche, 1 kaya bread

Other Observations:

• 12.16pm: Lmao I’m lowkey scared to take my weight after eating nearly 4000kcal yesterday. What if I’m 61kg again?! But NO. I’m definitely going to gain, maybe up to 58kg (which would SUCK), but just like those 10 000kcal challenges, if I consistently eat as well as possible after this period and be a little stricter after all the partying (2 more days!), it’ll all be good.
  • Purged once, binged on bread, purged again. Aghhhhh it’s so hard. I can’t lose routine yet :frowning: but I’ll still try my best at every step of the way.

Glycogen has likely replenished. Enter deficit again and you’ll drop back to maybe 56.8kg.

Yes, I’m pretty sure that sudden weight gain is temporary. A few good bowel movements and you’ll be back close to where you were. Don’t panic yet!

Day 71

Weight: 57.2kg

Huel: 100g NewHuel, 15g MochaProtein

Day 72

Weight: 57.3kg

Food Intake: (1582kcal)

• 112g NewHuel, 3g ChocFS
  • 1/3 Pain Au Chocolat
  • Snacks—1 packet butternut squash fries w sesame sauce & nooch, 2 ham, 3 slices turkey, 13 strawberries, 4 mini kinder bueno
  • Dinner—150g salmon w mustard, 6 cherry tomatoes
  • Sweets—1 mini kinder bueno, 1 brownie fibre one bar, 150g skyr w ChocFS & cookie crumbles & almond milk

Other Observations:

• There’s waaaaay too much to write out for the last 2 days’ intake so I’m not going to bother to try to catch it up.
  • So yeah it’s been a hectic few days!! For one, the balls start at 7 (queueing) and last til 5am with tons of free food and a shit ton of alcohol…so let’s just say I’ve literally eaten 3000-4000kcal everyday for the last 3 days. Not great for losing weight :stuck_out_tongue: But regardless, I have no regrets because I’ve had the best experiences I’ll remember in time to come. These events aren’t regular occurrences, so I’ll treasure it as they come. Sure I could’ve eaten less and events doesn’t equate to overeating, but one thing at a time.
  • BUT just because I’ve gained weight doesn’t mean I can’t reverse the upward trend and lose it again! I’m going to try my best to go back to consistency and I know I have the tools and mental capacity to do this. I love how starting my day with Huel is already like a psychological shift to start the day right after the line is drawn. I’m so glad I survived those few days without gaining back ALL the weight I’ve lost haha. I was honestly quite stressed about going through May week and dealing with food.
  • I didn’t gain too much (I’m the weight I was 12 days ago) BUT it could very well be dehydration from the shit ton of alcohol I drank and did not dance away heh. So I’m expecting a gain til about 58, and will once again work my way down. I’m doing this for myself, and gaining weight doesn’t make me any less capable a person :slight_smile:
  • ED: Sooooooooo it’s no longer as emotional (I remember crying and purging and cutting in the bathroom about a year or two ago in my high school dorm), but I still purge, and it’s really not good for my body. My throat is wrecked (or it could be from the shisha, or it could be falling sick who knows) and it hurts to swallow. I have ulcers in my mouth. I didn’t purge a LOT but after eating like 2000 calories in an hour…I had to purge because I couldn’t bear the thought of having all the calories stay in me, and I couldn’t deal with feeling so fat and having a distended stomach is absolute shit. Sigh I’ll try my best.
  • Phewwwww it feels great to have a day of normal eating. Huel, a couple of sweets, protein, protein snacks… I can’t wait to go back to a consistent routine again.

@chrisjeffy98 I miss your posts already. I actually log in to the forum every day now to see how you’re getting on.

@Wendy_Shepherd awwww that’s so sweet!! I’m back don’t worry! :stuck_out_tongue: will be traveling and moving around a lot so my posts probably won’t be as lengthy haha

This is amazing to read, it shows how far you’ve come. Big props to you! :grin::grin::grin:

Day 73

Weight: 56.9kg see! Just because I gained weight doesn’t mean I should continue binging: I know that’s just a few more days of consistency will get my weight back down again. In fact, I’m surprised I didn’t gain even more since I was dehydrated from alcohol AND it was 3 days of 4000kcal hahaha

Food Intake: (1596kcal)

• 112g NewHuel, 3g ChocFS
  • Fish pie :pie:
  • Snacks—skyr w cookie crumbs, 75g salmon w mustard, 15 chicken slices
  • Dinner—130g chicken & bbq sauce, 75g salmon w mustard, stir fried spring greens, 3 bites fried rice

Other Observations:

• 10.58am: Hungereh
  • 9.51pm: I’m not sure if I’ve overeaten but I’m p full. Was an odd nutrition day though, since I was trying to use up all my remaining food before going to London. 123C 40F 171P (lol everything I was eating had SO MUCH protein in it like skyr, salmon, fish pie, Huel, chicken, chicken slices, and I still had cottage cheese too!)
  • So these coupla days I’m staying with my Brother and he is an absolute Foodie Fiend who kind of judges me for using Huel, BUT also cooks the tastiest food ever. I’m staying here for 2 days so we’ll see how it goes, but I’ll also try my best to do a lot of walking during the day exploring London!
  • 12.32am: I feel so sick omg had a sore throat yesterday, coughing and runny nose and sneezing today :frowning:
  • So I was reading a psychology article about the different stages of dealing with emotions…and I realised how much my attitude towards my weight is starting to shift. Back then, I’d look at my weight and have to desperately suppress the negative emotions that came with it. But now, I’m starting to be able to enter the reappraisal stage: framing my weight in a healthy and more level-headed way not tied to my self worth, which decreases the experience and expression of negative emotion :slight_smile:
  • This journey of losing weight has made me realise that a body is often (note: not always) and indicator of your life—how active you are, how many calories you eat, what type of calories you eat. Ok I have more robust thoughts on this but I’m sick so my brain isn’t functioning properly haha.

Glad to see everything’s heading in the right direction again. You’ve got this. Changing habits and our relationship with food is not easy. You have to get the right balance of motivation, willpower and patience. Something I’ve never managed!