Deconstructed ingredients by Huel

Hi @matt009

The kelp was removed some time ago, so what you buy now is kelp-free!

We’re always looking at other ideas, so thanks for these thoughts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What’s your view on the issue of those using Huel on a diet? I’ve seen it come up time and time again that there are consumers who want Huel as a ‘complete food’ on a diet, but since Huel is nutritionally complete at 2000 calories this isn’t possible. If it’s definitely off-mission or not profitable/practical, could I recommend Huel put out a nutrition article on the subject? Encouraging additional micronutrient sources while running a Huel deficit, and giving advice on how to choose a good supplement, would really help.

It is possible if the calorie deficit is created by exercise, which should be a part of everybodies routine and really should be a key part of losing weight.

3 Likes

Regardless of that you aren’t gonna suffer too much in the long term if you have a calorie deficit on Huel and not getting 100% of everything.

2 Likes

it still says in the ingredients it includes kelp- thats what i was waiting to see changed…

who do i believe @JamesCollier ?!?!?!

what do i believe …arrrrggghhh !!!

the idea that a small amount of ppl wud buy it is an assumption…

the idea is that it would be Another Option, an addition to the company not a deduction …

its would not be hard to do.

and yes i believe there is a market for ppl who want to experiment with quantities of and different ingredients.

But, i also believe more options of complete food pouches is great too, im not proposing a problem .

You’re making assumptions that people maintaining a calorie deficit to lose fat think they will still get 100% of their micronutrients if they diet using Huel. Plus which as a proportion of Huel users, relatively few eat only Huel for 100% of their diet, nor do Huel themselves recommend this.

The benefits of using Huel as part of a calorie restricted diet are 1) It’s very simple to track your calorie intake. 2) In comparison to other foods Huel is nutritionally well balanced and so is a better option than some other foods which are eaten whilst dieting. Especially it’s a better bet than cutting out entire food groups.

1 Like

They already have this. See:

and

1 Like

I’m not making assumptions, so much as remembering thread after thread on this forum where consumers express that belief. And to Coup: that’s why I said “on a diet”, i.e. restricting food calories. Exercise is important to weight loss but many consumers rely on getting the majority of their calorie deficit from food intake.

That isn’t the subject.

I seem to have somehow missed all these threads where people are stating that they believe they can still get all their micronutrients whilst eating at a calorie deficit. Maybe you can quote one if there are that many?

1 Like

Is it super important? I’m not sure why we need a sourced, possibly aggressive debate about contention over someone saying they think there may be a market for either a micronutrient blend or advice. I can’t really justify the time on it, and I really don’t know how you could either. We could instead leave it as, I think there may be a market, you perhaps think there isn’t, and that’s it.

2 Likes

My bad. I was responding to your point about whether people using Huel to diet really understood that it is no longer a complete food when used at a calorie deficit.

3 Likes

I used to take a multivitamin when I was eating Huel with a large calorie deficit. It seemed like a good idea, but I don’t know how necessary it was.

I don’t know how micronutrient requirements scale with weight and food intake. We know how to calculate energy needs based on body weight, but do micronutrient needs scale up in the same way? If my body weight goes up by 20%, do all my micronutrient needs go up by 20%? I feel like it can’t be that simple, because my organs (which are making use of the micronutrients) haven’t increased in size by 20%. But I don’t know, I’m just some guy.

And if I only eat 75% of my energy requirements, do I still need 100% of all micronutrients?

2 Likes

Hi @Simon - many people do have Huel successfully on a calorie-restricted diet. Huel is complete at 2,000kcal, based on the official figures, but many people require less than this - in the same way as they’d be getting less if they ate less than 2,000-calories-worth of other food. I usually stress that Huel is complete at 2,000 kcal so people are aware.

Of course, most people only have Huel as part of their diet, so they’ll be getting nutrients from other foods, too.

We’ll certainly look into putting together some more info on this.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by body types, but essentially yes. Everyone is different so will need to tweak to suit however, a lot nutritional needs will be very similar from person to person.

2 Likes

well u will know better than me but i mean size… generally speaking… and i also meant what body goals they have…

1 Like

There seem to be differences between the US and European versions of the products. In Europe kelp is still among the ingredients. Here only the Black Edition is kelp-free.

Kelp was/is being removed from all products and the team periodically provide updates on the progress for this however due to existing stocks of materials in circulation they did not plan to update the website details until they are sure that the stock line is 100% kelp free.

1 Like

On the German website it still lists kelp as an ingredient in Huel v3.0

see this line