Disappointed newbie: Needs hugs!

I started Hueling a week ago, I’ve just weighed myself and have only lost 0.4k
:frowning: I’ve been having 2 scoops for breakfast, normal lunch then 3 scoops for dinner. Doing over 10,000 steps a day. I’m a bit disappointed, I might go full huel next week, 3 a day.
Feeling a bit demotivated. My legs have been really aching from all the walking!!!

Recommend getting the granola cereal as a breakfast just make sure to get some fruits like raisins etc to add to it

1 Like

Half a kilo in a week is exactly what you want to be aiming for !
So… it’s a pretty good start.
Keep going :grin:

2 Likes

Is 0.4 half a kilo? I was trying to work it out!!

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Well I assumed that’s what you meant by ‘k’.
Half a kilo is 0.5kg… and you said 0.4k so that’s pretty much half a kilo.
You want to aim for 1lb / 0.5kg per week for sustainable weight loss. More than that is possible but is really hard to maintain for longer than a few weeks and generally just goes back on again!

Also, I’d recommend that you weigh every morning before breakfast but after the toilet. Make a note of your weight and track it over a number of weeks. Look at the general trend.
Don’t worry about variations day to day as it’s possible to have a difference of as much as 3-4kg on any individual day due to water retention or loss, or bowel contents etc etc
So record it daily but don’t pay attention to the daily value if that makes sense.
Either average it for the week, or just track it on a graph (loads of apps will do this for you) and as long as your trend is downwards then you know you’re doing the right thing.

Bare in mind that the first 2-3 weeks aren’t necessarily indicative of how it will continue though as you’re body will take a while to get used to the change in calorie intake and routine. Stick at the exercise and stick at the calorie counting and you will hit your goal.

Come back here for advice and encouragement when you need it - lots of success stories here too for inspiration if you search the weight-loss category

3 Likes

Thanks Christina, I’m going to stick with it! X

1 Like

As @ChristinaT said, that’s a good loss. You didn’t put all the weight on over a few weeks, it will take time to lose it too. Slow and steady loss is best. Tracking calories for awhile can also help you if you’re struggling. Most of us underestimate how much we are actually eating. My fitness pal helps. Doesn’t have to be forever, but I always do a few days here and there to see what I’m at.

2 Likes

Thanks Catty! I’m using MyFitnessPal, doing 1200 calories a day.
I’ve ordered some electric scales so I can measure everything, so that should help :blush:
Also going to try some different exercise, maybe boxercise. I used to do it years ago, it’s a great workout.

@JoCo

If the walking is a new habit, keep in mind that your muscles will be strengthening and although the scales may not show a big difference, what’s going on inside may be changing rapidly as you build strength up! Muscle weighs more than fat.

Echoing the above, 1lb a week is a good, sustainable target so don’t get disheartened :green_heart:

1 Like

Sorry thats what I meant, measuring the food and logging. Not just “eyeballing” it for the sake of MFP. A scale might help. It’s eye opening how much a real portion of food is. More reason for me to stick to Huel if I’m honest. Less thinking!

I use a good set of straightforward bathroom scales. Don’t trust a set of scales that professes to do everything.

I weigh daily, even now, to keep track of my maintenance weight and continue to log it in MFP. I still weigh everything I eat to keep track of calories. Happy to do this, as no way do I ever want to go overweight again. I felt awful back then. Now I feel great :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks all! I weighed myself yesterday at the gym, it’s one of those body scanner ones. I’m planning on cancelling my membership and joining one that’s on my walk home from work and does better classes. The walk to and from work is lovely, along the Thames, then across a park, I have been aching tho! Guess I’m just not used to it. I’ve hardly been to the gym this year so it’s not surprising I’m very unfit. I have some scales at home but I never use them as they’re a bit crap!

1 Like

When I started with Huel I did substitute my normal meals for the equivalent Huel quantities. And, understandably, I didn’t lose any weight. (That wasn’t my goal at the moment anyway)

The interesting thing is that Huel removed the question of what to eat, and with it, how to make the meal more interesting.
So then I realized I was needing to make the meal interesting because I wasn’t hungry.
So I started reducing the Huel “doses”, further and further.
… to the point that currently I am basically doing intermittent fasting without even trying. And in a matter of weeks I lost a few kg that I had been wanting to lose for years (only about 6 kg, but still, I went from being constantly mindful of what I ate to avoid putting on weight… to just eating whatever when I felt hungry while losing weight).

My point is: 2 scoops for breakfast? That sounds like a lot to me. Are you that hungry? (Personally, I seem to be a late eater so I usually just have some coffee in the morning)

(To be clear: after I got in my current pattern of meals, I pretty much stopped having Huel and friends. Huel simply allowed me to find the way. Now I just use it only occasionally for the convenience of it)

1 Like

Look into intermittent fasting. 16:8

Basically, don’t eat past 8pm, and skip breakfast

Read up about it before ya try it

It’s been effective for me

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve been thinking about doing that too. I’ll have a look into it :blush:

Yes, I’d highly recommend this, too.

I’ve been having Huel 1-2 times a day for the past 14 months, and I brought in the 16:8 IF about 10 months ago. Marvellous combination!