Dizziness and depression

I just started drinking Huel this week and I really like the convenience, but only three days into it, I started getting these bizarre dizzy spells that involve uncontrollable sobbing, and bad spikes in my depression. (And yes, I went to the doctor and they didn’t find anything wrong with my blood work)

I didn’t realize that the vanilla flavor (the one I am drinking) has both artificial sweetener and flavoring, both of which I generally avoid at all costs, and have for most of my life. I’m worried that the sudden dramatic increase in these things is messing with my body. I’d like to simply exchange the vanilla for the unsweetened flavor.

Has anyone else had a reaction like this, and if so how did you progress?

Hi, I’m quite interested to read this experience of yours as I have been having terrible mood swings and anxiety attacks that definitely coincide with starting having Huel. I suffer from anxiety generally but I don’t usually have severe mood swings even when Aunt Flo is visiting. I haven’t ever heard anything about sweeteners or flavourings contributing to mood swings but it would definitely make sense for me if that’s the case. Like you I generally steer clear of artificial sweeteners simply because I don’t like the taste. I have got the unsweetened packs coming tomorrow and sold my other vanilla pack so I’ll be really interested to see if the mood swings die back down. I think you can return unopened packs but I found it easier to sell it on.

you say you’ve just started Huel but what’s been the actual change in your diet? i.e. have you just replaced 1 or 2 meals or are you going “100% Huel” - and are you dramatically lowering your caloric intake, i.e. aiming for weight loss, or are you sticking to about the same number of calories as your previous diet.

I’m not a nutritionist, but I imagine any of these things would probably have more of an effect right now while you’re getting used to changing the way you eat, than the mere presence of artificial sweeteners. Not that I’m discounting the idea outright

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one! I stopped drinking it and within 48 hours my energy levels and depression went back to normal (and oh my god, the sweet relief of going from very depressed to totally totally normal :star_struck: )

My guess is that the stevia had something to do with it, because I read that it has a bunch of other known side effects. None involving depression or fainting, but the fact that it does weird stuff makes me very suspicious of it, especially considering that there have been no other dramatic differences in my life.

I contacted Huel and they’re sending me two bags of unsweetened also, and I’m giving the vanilla flavor to a friend who is much less sensitive to artificial stuff than me.

I started replacing 1 to 2 meals per day, drinking between 2 and 5 scoops (I’m small and don’t eat enough as is, so that was plenty). I was actually increasing my caloric intake because I often forget to eat meals, so nutrition-wise I was doing better off than normal! That’s why I’m so suspicious of the sucralose and stevia, because while the diet was different, I was still getting the quantity of nutrients I needed.

Maybe also worth noting that I did experience some bad bloating and gas the first day, which is common, and subsided after day 1.

My intake is similar- I have 3 scoops over breakfast and lunch then a dinner of something healthy.

I have not tried vanilla, I went with U/U from the start, because I have trouble with Sucralose.

Not scientific, but anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that Sucralose triggers increases in my own depression. Perhaps you have the same problem?

I’m not a doctor, I can’t swear this is a thing, I can’t even swear it’s a thing for me, but it sure seems to be a pattern in me, have some Splenda/Sucralose, have a depressive episode later that day or the next day.