How do you flavour your Huel?

Oh same one! Ah well. Frozen berries today with a mix of uu and vanilla was good.

I use ALDI smoothie packs and add them in to blend. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

It makes a great taste and really is like a smoothie, I know that sounds obvious, but itā€™s great. Best so far, and Iā€™ve tried loads of combinations.

1 Like

Mostly with banana and cinnamon.

Iā€™ve seen the smoothie packs, but not actually tried themā€¦could be worth a punt then.

What are these smoothie packs you speak of? I am a frequent Aldi shopper and have not come across them!

Tim,

They are in the frozen section. They do strawberry, banana, and mango, guava, pineapple, and blackcurrant, raspberry, banana.

Ā£1.99 a go, they make about 5 x 3 scoop meals with one pack. Depending on how much you add of course.

2 Likes

Thank you! I feel a shopping trip comingā€¦

Iā€™m a bit lazy and a bit naughty, so I like to use food flavourings designed for baking. Lemon flavouring gives a taste like lemon cake and is really lovely. I also sometimes mix orange flavouring with some cocoa to give a chocolate orange style huel. Salted caramel is everywhere these days and works well in huel. My go to flavour boost is coffee, including flavoured coffees. I like the idea of adding Nakd bars and might try that. Iā€™ve experimented with a couple of hot savoury huels but found them revolting. The one thing stopping me from being 100% Huel fuelled is the fact that I sometimes crave savoury crunchy food. Are Huel rice cakes a possibility??

2 Likes

Great ideas! Are these flavourings ones that have sugar in?

Oooohā€¦ I donā€™t know. As I say Iā€™m a bit naughty like that. The way I look at it though is this - if a half teaspoon or so of food flavouring goes into my huel and stops me from eating a cake or three itā€™s a win all round in terms of sugar, fat, calories and health so I donā€™t worry about it tbh. Iā€™ve gone from a size 14/16 to a 12/14 in less than 6 months and with only a bit extra exercise that I only felt like doing because 2 huels per day made me feel like a new woman whoā€™s desire to start doing a bit of running came as a complete surprise!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing! Well done, really good effort!

I was just wondering, because I keep looking out for new or fun ways to flavour Huel, to keep things interesting. At the moment cocoa powder is a mainstay, but looking for other things which donā€™t have as many calories in.

Ps. I know what you mean, I feel more energetic on Huel as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loving this thread, so many good suggestions. I think Huel with coffee and a little bit of powdered cinnamon may have to be tomorrowā€™s breakfast!

This morning I tried:
50g U/U
50g vanilla Huel
250ml water
250ml VitaCoco milk alternative

I tend to find strong flavours (aside from coffee) unappealing early in the day so wanted something not too sweet or intensely flavoured but still with a little something extra, and this has worked out nicely; mellow and creamy with a hint of coconut. Might be a bit bland for some though. Iā€™ll probably do a 60/40 UU/Vanilla mix next time for a little less sweetness as it still got a bit sickly for me towards the end.

1 Like

So hereā€™s one I havenā€™t seen mentioned before: anybody tried using a shrub to flavour their Huel? :slight_smile: Itā€™s a kindof vinegar syrup made with fruit/berries to preserve the freshness of their flavour. Usually used in cocktails.

Iā€™m trying 50ml of a recently-made strawberry shrub in 700ml+3ƗU/U now, and it works pretty well I think.

Of course the downside is that a shrub contains sugar, and itā€™s almost certainly nicer with alcohol (also perhaps rather too much effort to go to simply for flavouring Huel), but stillā€¦

Wonder if anyone has tried jagermeisterā€¦it is full of herbsā€¦gotta be good.

3 Likes

Could you give a link? Searching (US) amazon I find only the LorAnn oils (which I know) and something called the Wilton flavor system.

I just use the ones in the supermarket. Nothing fancy. Vanilla, orange, lemonā€¦ whatever they have. Except almond. Although I have wondered about a tiny drop of almond essence with cherries to hopefully give a Bakewell tart flavour.

That could workā€¦not tried itā€¦I like bakewell tart trek bars.

Iā€™ve not tried Trek bars yet. Iā€™m a real fan of Nakd bars, the limited edition lemon drizzle flavour is nice. Iā€™ve also wondered about a ginger cake flavoured huel. I really wish I could find some savoury flavours I like cos I really crave savoury once Iā€™ve had a day of huels, but Iā€™m yet to find one that I like. And the couple I tried and didnā€™t like have REALLY put me off. Wonder if thereā€™ll be any savoury huel samples at the HQ day in Septemberā€¦

1 Like

sorry, my mistake. bakewell tart is nakd not trekā€¦same company thoā€¦

The wilton ones would be great I think, too much can be overpowering so be careful. Lakeland also sell baking flavourings, but you can often find interesting ones in supermarkets with the usual flavourings like vanilla, lemon and almond extracts.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p18343/Foodie-Flavoursā„¢-Natural-Flavouring
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=289599620
if you are based in the US, I think the brands you mentioned would be the best bet- theyā€™re all similar products. The US brands have more variety.