Huel 2.2 - texture

Hello, as a faithful huel subscriber I felt compelled to sign up to the forums to give you my feedback on 2.2.

This is my third day of 2.2. It’s much thicker, which is not what I was expecting as I read that thickeners were removed? But nevertheless, I’m finding it unmanageably thick. The texture has become gloopy and jelly-like and quite unpalatable.

Am interested to see what everyone else makes of it. But I don’t think I’ll be able to use huel for much longer in its current form :frowning:

5 Likes

Thought I should add - I have been using huel for 15 months. I have it for lunch every day, I really love it! I will be truly devastated to lose it :cry: :cry: :cry: but this new texture absolutely does not work for me, I’m struggling to force it down.

1 Like

+1

Far too thick, mixing same measure of Huel vs water as v2.1< does not mix. Very lumpy, so lumpy in fact, it does not easily pass through the shaker screen.

3 Likes

It’s funny how we’re all different, I find the texture just right.

3 Likes

That’s me a bit stuck then, I thought 2.1 was thicker than 1.2 and really didn’t like it. Ordered lots of v1.2 but with a bag and a half of v1.2 remaining I had planned on trying v2.2 with the gum removed. If it really is thicker than v2.1 then I may not get on with it :frowning:

3 Likes

If its thicker that is good news. I left my old batch in the fridge for hours until it finally got to a nice thickness. If this one is instantly thick i may have to buy some

3 Likes

The issue boils down to this:

Everyone who is complaining that Huel is not thick enough - just use less water, you will make it thicker that way. Alternatively, add some thickener on your own.

Everyone who says Huel is just right - keep on using the same amount of water as you’ve always been using.

Everyone who is complaining that Huel is too thick - tough luck, you’d have to use so much water it would not fit into the shaker and you’d not be able to consume so much water per day anyway.

Yes, I would prefer Huel to be much thinner.

9 Likes

Glad this has come up. I’m nearly through my first bag of v2.2 and I’m finding the texture really gluey and that’s from someone who likes her Huel thick. I’m adding so much water that it’s right to the top of my shaker. I don’t like this new version.

2 Likes

I use a stick blender and since using v2.2 every batch results in a lumpy mousse texture. I’ve tried hand mixing and using a mixer ball. In most cases, after I’ve added additional water to thin it out I’ve spent 10 mins fussing around and end up with a very diluted Huel. I think for 3 scoops I have to use more than 600ml of water as where before I used about 500ml. Regardless, there are lots of clumps inside. Had no issues with 2.1. I like the recipe change but this new texture is challenging to get into something smooth and consistent.

Have any of you made an adjustment which addresses the thick whipped cream texture from a blender?

1 Like

It used to be less. 1.2 mixed 100g with 400mil and it’s just a hint over the thickness of water.

But sure, 400 calories to 600+ mil of water that overfills a shaker seems perfectly reasonable. Have at it.

1 Like

Everyone who is complaining that Huel is not thick enough - just use less water, you will make it thicker that way. Alternatively, add some thickener on your own.

Everyone who says Huel is just right - keep on using the same amount of water as you’ve always been using.

Everyone who is complaining that Huel is too thick - tough luck, you’d have to use so much water it would not fit into the shaker and you’d not be able to consume so much water per day anyway.

Those do seem to be the options on offer, but there’s only so much water that a shaker (and a stomach, for that matter) can comfortably take. Increasing the amount of water needed with each version change seems to be a guaranteed way of incrementally reducing the customer base.

3 Likes

Hi, everyone.
I did notice the thickening as well.
However, I have a 1L shaker, so now just I add some extra water and that’s it.
I also got the impression that the taste is now slightly better, but that might be just my imagination.
By the way, I’m always using stick blender to blend some frozen berries into Huel.

2 Likes

Can you let me know the batch number of any batches that you believe to be lumpier or too thick please? Thank you.

How much water do you drink in a day for how many calories you take in?

Am I the only one that noticed hardly any difference at all? Just add more water if it’s too thick surely?

4 Likes

A lot, actually. I’m trying to gain some weight, so my smaller meal is 150g of Huel and my larger meal is 220g of Huel (maximum that fits into 1L shaker, still not being terribly thick). I’m targeting around 2500-3000 kcal per day, but that’s not very strict.
Similar with water. I was always drinking a lot of water, so with Huel it’s kind of included in the meal. I haven’t counted the exact volumes, I would assume somewhere above 2L per day.

1 Like

To the point of a gallon? I either overdrink or choke on it. My shaker’s not big enough to water down 100g sufficiently on 2.0+, and doing that five or six times a day is untenable.

It’s not going to change, but the current thickness would be perfectly possible at 350mil per 100g, or less.

1 Like

Opposite for me. For 3 scoops I’d use 400 to 500ml, blend it and get a smooth shake with v2.1. Now with 2.2 I end up with a very moussey thick shake which is glacial to pour. I have to use about 550 to 600ml to make it drinkable. I use Thermos flasks for two meals but with 2.2 my 1L flask doesn’t fit in two Huel meals. Just have to rejig everything to fit. Still tinkering but my Huel kinda comes out like porridge now.

Doh, that doesn’t sound good. I’ve used same method I always have. Fill a third of my shaker with water. Three scoops of Huel. Add a little more water and give it a proper shake. It’s thick but definitely drinkable. Never put the Huel in first!

1 Like

I’m using the U/U gluten free 2.2 and it seems to have much more clumps than with 2.1.

Batch number for the first opened bag with clumps:
2950 10:28am