Is Huel "antisocial"?

It is often said that food and eating were social activities. And many socializing activities are based on food. Eating together seems to give a joining momentum to people. I always struggled with this, as I did not want to take part in this. That way you tend to be an outsider quite quickly. Some people are also exerting pressure in this respect. In summary it always caused problems.

That is why I would be curious to know how others who are on a liquid diet deal with this issue.

If your friends are cooking or eating out, do you join them or do you find an excuse why not to take part or just sit there without eating anything? Telling people that you prefer shakes?

What about meetings with business partners or business activities? Does that play a role for you? And if yes how do you deal with this? Do you have your shake nevertheless, regardless of whether other people expect you to join their dinner?

What about people with families? Do you skip family dinners? What do you tell your kids and your partner?

If you’re a single withouth a family or friends in home office you may never have to think about that - but I doubt that this applies to many people.

So how do you deal with it?

well - its not really been a problem the last year assuming you’re all complying with distancing and gathering rules :slight_smile:

I find that while yes eating together is a social activity - what you eat when you are with friends shouldn’t be an issue unless they or you make a big deal about it. You are still there after all and the food you eat does not define the social experience you are having.

In the good old days when we ate in restaurants in close proximity to each other, if I did not want to eat a big meal - I would just take a soup or risotto - something like that.

much more than you’d think. Marriage rates globally are still declining - In the US for instance, 45% of over 18 year olds identified as being single on the last census.

During the pandemic a few things have been different, that’s right, but that does not change the fact that social activities are tied to food very often. And even now, people stll meet, people have families and friends, and the food topic often comes up when one person is on a liquid diet and does not want to “join”.
I often had to defend myself. And I guess it must be even worse when someone has a family with kids. Business partners, colleagues and friends are one thing, but if people ware living together sharing things and doing things together seems to be expected even more.

Can’t sleep. Just to say that I had a Thai Green Curry hot and savoury for dinner on Christmas Eve and neither my niece nor my mother batted an eyelid.

I’ve had a shake on a date before now, it was a first date so admittedly informal, I bought her a pasty and we walked along the beach together as the sun went down. She was curious but not in any way condemning, I just said I was on a plant based phase at the moment. (And before you ask yes we did see one another again for a few months actually!)

I lack the internal bits to hold onto my stomach contents, so I used to avoid eating any food at work or I’d likely vomit it back up, which is fine at home but not so much fun at work. When we’d have work meals, I’d either not go or end up sitting there while everyone ate and I didn’t. I’d go from waking up til I got home from work without eating anything. Huel was an absolute game changer for me. Breakfast… lunch… no vomit! No one was really bothered about it at work because they knew about my stomach issues. After a while Huel had helped so much that I could eat solid food through the day and hold onto it. So in that respect, Huel allowed me to be more sociable :laughing:

5 Likes

Interesting story. Have you ever found out what caused the vomiting? Psychological stress or an organic cause?

I often got sick having to explain why I did not join - which sometimes even lead to avoidance behaviour - I did no longer join a meeting or an activity itself. People were sometimes talking to me as if I did something bad, a behaviour that has to be discredited or punished - as if everyone had the obligation to eat together with others. I also often ask myself whether a liquid diet would be compatible with family life. Whether this would be “responsible” or fair.

There seem to be cultural norms that are quite strong, and it is unlikely that it will change in the near future.

I did, I don’t have the required anatomy to physically keep the food in my stomach. So if I eat and bend over, it’ll basically just spill back out into my oesophagus. Certain foods obviously make the situation worse and my stomach and oesophagus were really inflamed. Which caused more vomitty goodness too. Huel helped reduce the inflammation by being liquid and easy to digest, and that kind of reset it. So the problem still exists, but not as bad and totally manageable

So you at least sometimes make it to tolerate solids, for example at social events?
Anyway, you don’t seem to be the “standard” Huel user.
So what about the others? What do you tell people why you don’t join them at their “food events” or get-togethers involving eating together? And what do you tell your partner/family?

Hello,
Guess I’m standard Huel user, 2+ years in using bags @ home, RTD @ work with bars for breakfast (with disastrous 3 bag H & S trial!)
I have this issue only with my sister & family members who are feeders, therefore they can’t meet their own need if I have my Huel drink or bar instead of their offerings. It was the same when I went veggie @ 17, then vegan which was even more challenging for them. Now 36 years on, those friends & work colleagues (who have my interests @ heart) are delighted I have found a way to more easily control my IBS also remaining energised & cheerful as a Macmillan CNS within a covid-filled hospital.
Top tip: take up knitting to let your hands do something productive while others eat & your ears attend to those around you…