Low carb/Keto Huel

Or vegetable fats.

Hi James. Are the oats coooked for huel? Its important. Or are raw?

No; but what relevance is this to a low carb Huel? Or are you referring to a concern about phytic acid; if so, read here.

Hello James, thank you for the low carb hacks.

As a diabetic trying to lose weight, I also want to control my carbs as much as possible.

The high-protein hack looks like an okay alternative for now, but I too would love to see a nutritionally complete low-carb version of Huel.

1 Like

Hi, excited to hear that an LCHF / ketogenic version of Huel is being discussed! I hope when you think about the formulation you will have the same principles in mind that you had when you designed regular Huel (i.e. healthy, vegan, complete, convenient) and not just weight loss. A lot of people who are switching to LCHF are not interested in weight loss but want to reap all the health benefits of that lifestyle.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have very mixed feelings on keto myself about the health benefits. But I can see the purpose of low carb.

Thank you for your reply. I think everyone on this forum would be delighted if you could find time to compile a summary of what you currently view as pros and cons of a ketogenic diet. I know that you must be extremely busy so please, do not feel pressured. Just a thought.

1 Like

What do you mean?

He means he has mixed feelings on the health benefits of a keto diet.

3 Likes

I mean, I’m not convinced about the health benefits of ketogenic diets in the majority of people.

3 Likes

Just wanted to know where we are with a low carb option??

Many thanks

It’s not something on our short-term agenda. We’ve a lot going on and there aren’t many of us.

Just a quick heads up - the links to the blog post have died :frowning:

Thanks - not sure why, but here’s the correct link: https://uk.huel.com/blogs/news/low-carb-huel-two-hacks

1 Like

Same here, it is the best way of returning to natural hunter-gatherer style diet!

Nothing says hunter gatherer like avoiding fruit and vegetables because they contain carbs.

2 Likes

If you think keto avoids fruit and vegetables, you don’t understand keto very well. Yes, you avoid fruits higher in sugars (which, by the way, are generally only the way they are because we’ve selectively bred them over centuries to taste sweeter), but the vast majority of those doing keto still include generous helpings of lower-carb fruits such as berries as well as a large array of vegetables.

Edit: For those interested, this article does a good job of showing what the sort of fruits our ancestors lived on would have looked like.

No spuds or bananas :pensive:

1 Like

Who mentioned Keto? I thought Phil was responding to the description of a gatherer/hunter diet being low carb. Are you suggesting it would have been low carb or even (consistently) Keto? Isn’t that a ridiculous idea?

The comment chain linked back to reference to a low-carb, high-fat version (of Huel) from eldrin, a phrase typically synonymous with keto, though I suppose low-carb could be what was being referred to. The response to that was that it would be an easy way to return to hunter/gatherer style intake, to which GTIPuG argued low-carb would involve avoiding fruit/veg due to the carbs. Regardless, what I said applies to low-carb just as much as keto - you don’t avoid fruits and vegetables, just ones that are higher in sugars (and low-carb would be even less strict with this than keto).

I am suggesting the gatherer/hunter diet would have likely been consistently low-carb and seasonally keto, though of course not consistently keto.