Original Vanilla - Is this the beginning of the end?

Original is by far the most versatile flavour. I can’t see why they would wanna ditch it. Unless they are moving towards all premixed flavours and no boosts. And then have unflavoured for your own recipes. Personally I don’t find unflavoured works very well to add flavours to - I like drinking it on its own and its great to mix with the others to reduce sweetness but the Original is the one that you can add flavours to and it works so well.
I like variety so would prefer to have original plus lots of flavour boosts, than lots of bags of open premixed.
I also really dislike the vanilla flavour so can’t use this as a base.

The only change I would be happy about is if they toned down the sweetness of original. That would save me mixing it with UU. But then everyone who likes extra sweetness would be upset lol.

Seeing as the survey went out to 18,000 people who regularly buy original, and no one I know who buys original got the email… I guess we could estimate that maybe the email went to a quarter of the people who actually like it and buy it.
So maybe 72,000 people like it?! Haha not so unpopular after all

I really like Vanilla and can drink it as it is. I also like Coffee premix because it has a subtle flavour and isn’t too sweet. Berry and Mint-Choc are nice but will only buy a bag now and again. So my staples at the moment are UU, Original, Vanilla and Coffee.
I have all of the flavour boosts apart from Matcha and Chocolate. Least favourite flavour boost is Strawberry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I haven’t tried the strawberry flavour yet. Berry was so so so so bad I think I’ve been put of any berry Huel for life :joy:
I love the mint choc in original. I also love mint choc premix even tho it’s different. Mocha and caramel :yum:
Vanilla, banana, berry and toffee all disgusting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:raised_hand: Berry for breakfast is my fav!

That was always the original philosophy of Huel but there’s been a slow move towards premixed flavours and ending original would sort of finish that move off leaving just U/U for people who want to make their own stuff.

I did get the survey email and my feedback was similar to your thoughts about it being the best base to flavour from.

Berry, mint-choc and coffee premixes are all lush :smiley:

I’ll only occasionally have UU/vanilla with a flavour addition - premixes all the way for me.

I would be happy to subscribe to 1 bag Original to 2 bags of UU forever. No premixes for me. I would say to just put less sucralose in the Original but that wouldn’t suit everyone.

Original for me.

Please get rid of vanilla over original!

Noooooooooo :scream::scream::scream:

It would be a real shame to see my favourite flavour go, but if it’s a loss making product I totally understand the reasoning behind it being removed from sale.

I’ve just received my latest batch, but I’ll try the coffee and mint-chocolate pre-blends in my next order. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a combination with the boosts which comes close to Original!

It’s strange how people’s taste with the Original flavour differ so much. I really don’t find it that sweet at all. To me it’s quite subtle, but it has a fuller overall flavour than the others I’ve tried and works better with the flavour boosts. The ‘New and Improved’ Vanilla on the other hand was overpoweringly sweet, just undrinkable to me! Berry had a bad aftertaste with me too.

@jake83 my taste buds must be the same as yours. I guess it’s the same with everything - people’s taste buds are all different and what one person finds sweet, someone else will find sour and someone else will find bitter.
Personally I think they need to keep a range of flavours to suit everyone but the bigger their range grows they need to start providing samples so people can discover what flavour suits them personally.

I totally agree that both original and vanilla are way too sweet. Why dont they just tone down the sweetness in both recipes and increase the sweetness in the flavour boosts…

Because not all huelers want to use flavor boosts. And simplicity of just shaking 100g of vanilla premix and voila, perfectly yummy shake - it’s kinda amazing. If you don’t like it, you can use U/U with flavor boosts or mix U/U with vanilla or original. :slight_smile:

Just a reminder. As far as we know there are no plans to end production of Original flavour Huel

I find it fascinating that people think vanilla is sweet… To me it tastes as close to a neutral flavour you can have… not sweet at all until you add flavour boosts (of course with them you get the opposite problem… a tad too much and you end up with a chemical soup, so I’m glad for the choc and mint powder and hope for more flavours in the future).

I find it too sweet, even though it has less sweetener than original.

I find it far too sweet as well - much sweeter than the other premix flavours. Unfortunately, for my first huel order I left the flavour mix at the default (ie 2 bags of vanilla) and found I had to prepare the huel extremely thin and watery to make it palatable. Now I just mix with UU as required and can have it nice and thick.

Just to add my two cents, I have tried various Huel pre-blends since New Years (New Vanilla, Berry & Mint choc) and only recently purchased one bag of original vanilla after seeing all the “hoo-har” about it’s future.

Well, I love it. I bought the new one as it was called “new and improved” and I actually quite like that too, but the original is nicer. Original is more vanilla-y (rather than over-sweet like the new and improved). It smells like vanilla pudding/cheap custard powder or vanialla ice cream but actually tastes far more neutral than that, and way less sweet than New and improved.

I am currently working through it with my flavour boost samples (Banana I love you!) and will certainly buy more once it’s gone.

So, I like both, my only actual complaint is the slight confusion caused by the similar names and subjective description of “new and improved”.

After being a reader for a while, I signed up just to reply to this! I first used Huel at the beginning for 2017 (v2.1 I think) for a few months, then after not using for about 18 months I bought again at the end of last year. Thanks to the forum, I knew to expect a difference between Original & New, so ordered a bag of each to see what I preferred, and it’s definitely Original. Like others I found New Vanilla more toffee-like; I mean it’s not awful, but it’s not for me. I received the survey just as I was finishing both bags, so could accurately say I preferred Original. I’ve now (re)started a subscription for Original, and interestingly the bags I received last week have a different label, so now it’s just Original rather than Original (Vanilla).