Original Vanilla Feedback

The explanation I’ve now received from Tim is:

“The Original you had was indeed faulty but was a very isolated issue and certainly not representative of Original or even that entire batch of Original. It was to do with the incorrect amount of guar gum and xanthan gum being added to some Huel pouches in this batch.”

2 Likes

@coup is talking rubbish then :crazy_face:
Nothing new there :wink:
Although to be fair, Huel’s own information video does show it being made just as he describes… so I’m not sure how they managed to mess up some of a batch.
Glad it’s resolved. I wonder who else got a duff bag but hasn’t opened it yet (Hope it’s not me…)

1 Like

I checked, not me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But…

Some of the pouches?
They add it to the bags later than the Huel powder?

1 Like

Yes it does sound strange this should only affect some of them.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. A batch number is meant to refer to a specific production batch.
So, as adding ingredients after production seems really off to me, I’m wondering how this can be.

2 Likes

Maybe they make it in sub-batches or something, and only one was affected by the mistake. I’m only reporting what @Tim_Huel told me, anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, but just getting a little curious now :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@JamesCollier is anything you’re able to share with us about the process of adding the gums?

3 Likes

Sure. What is it you’d like to know?

Does the section here provide enough info?

@JamesCollier
I think people are curious as to how part of a batch was affected and gums / stabilisers didn’t get added in the correct quantities.
The flow charts and descriptions in the article you link to, plus your video here https://youtu.be/NpK63Auk1_A
perhaps simplify the process (?) and seem to say all the ingredients of a batch are mixed at the same time during your ‘Dry Blending’ process.
If this is the case, how can only part of a batch be affected by an issue?

Please satisfy our curiosity :grin:

4 Likes

OK, I didn’t read the whole thread as I thought it was about people’s concern over claims that we may stop Original Flavour which has been discussed.

If there is an issue, then it’s a quality issue with a whole mix and we’d need to do an investigation.

Yes, all ingredients are added and mixed at the same time in Huel Powder.

So does an issue affect a whole batch or not??
According to Tim, only part of the batch was affected (see quote above).
But you’re saying, any issue would affect a whole batch.

It’s certainly an interesting issue as @dharkhig ‘s and @PatC’s bags were definitely affected, and yet @Africorn ‘s bag from the same batch seems to be fine.

We wanna know how this has happened?!

2 Likes

I have only just heard of this issue. I’m in the office today, so I have just asked the quality team. They are aware as this was raised to them the other day following this thread, I believe.

An issue with one tote mix has been identified. One batch can have several mixes. Basically all the ingredients are accurately weighed and chucked into a tote before blending. A batch is a production run.

5 Likes

Thanks @JamesCollier that makes a lot of sense.
In fact it makes more sense than what we were all imagining (one huge massive blender for an entire batch / production run!)

So if one production run / batch is mixed in a number of separate totes, do you have a way of identifying (and recalling if necessary) the bags in a batch that have been mixed in one particular tote?
The only markings on the bag are the batch number and time stamp, so unless the batch is blended in the same tote, one after the other (in which case the time stamp would indicate the affected tote), how would you identity bags from an individual mix?

4 Likes

So I guess dharkig was right here.

The time stamp on top of the batch number could be sufficient if something’s wrong.

Through the year I have been working for different production companies.
No matter how small a production run was, we always had either a different batch number
or an addition to the batch number (-1, -2, etc. or something similar).
But that is different for every company, of course.

1 Like

Hi @ChristinaT

This is a reply from the production people in response to your question:

These two details correspond to specific production records and documentation, and these thorough records allow us to review a vast array of information.

Each blend within a batch effectively its own smaller batch, which has full traceability.

Using the batch code and time stamp we can reference the production records and obtain the details for the batch, and each blend within the batch. These two details allow us to ascertain which blend a pouch was produced in, trace each and every raw material batch (including packaging), the IBC used, average pouch weights, final blend weights, production numbers, methods, QC checks and results, and the personnel involved at each stage.

8 Likes

Totes amazeballs

[As Tim Burgess once whispered in my ear.]

3 Likes

@Tim_Huel, @JamesCollier - I need a favour.

I LOVE my Original Huel, but the last few months have been a bit stressful, wondering if and when you might withdraw this product and leave us with the New & Improved (which, as you know, myself and many others really don’t like).

So - PLEASE can you confirm, here and now to all present, that you have decided to keep producing Original for the foreseeable future? I apologise if this has already been settled and I missed it. But if not, please make a decision and stop my worries!

And, speaking of delayed decisions, do I need to start stockpiling for Brexit? I’m sure that has been answered elsewhere but I’m tired… zzz

Hi @Lighteater - not sure whether you being stressed about Huel is a good thing (love the fact that you’re so passionate about Huel Original) or a bad thing (it’s only a flavour; life can be stressful enough!).

We have never said we’re getting rid of Original; people in this thread made some assumptions which, unfortunately, lead to … :cry:

So - PLEASE can you confirm, here and now to all present, that you have decided to keep producing Original for the foreseeable future? I apologise if this has already been settled and I missed it. But if not, please make a decision and stop my worries!

Original is going to continue to be produced for the foreseeable future.

And, speaking of delayed decisions, do I need to start stockpiling for Brexit? I’m sure that has been answered elsewhere but I’m tired… zzz

Brexit; what’s that? I’ve not heard of it… :grin:
We have ample stocks of everything. The only thing we needed to stockpile were the shakers and so we have.

11 Likes

And don’t forget the SCOOPS…

2 Likes