Overweight sugar addict trying Huel for the first time!

Where do you live? I am in Glastonbury…you must be close.

Yes, I live with my husband and 3 children near Taunton :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to see I’m not the only Huel bumpkin.

Ha,! No, I love living in the countryside, don’t need a gym when you’ve got rolling hills to traipse about!

1 Like

Bristol here, almost enough people for a west country huel and cider dinner party… However that doesn’t sound like much of a dinner party!
:rofl:

I’m new to this, I’ve placed my order, just waiting for it to turn up! But I just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing your journey on here, i’m just trying to be a bit of a sponge and take it all in, so it’s been fab reading people’s journeys so far! I’m sure I’ll be posting mine soon!

1 Like

Hi @LozzaW!

Sorry for the late reply! Having the children off school for Christmas has left me really behind with work and I’m still trying to catch up, so blogging has had to take a back seat!

How is it all going for you on your Huel journey so far? :relaxed:

Hi Everyone!

just a very quick update!

So I reached my next mini-goal of 11 stone 4 (2 stone lost) and then 11 stone 2 (back in my BMI!) before Christmas. However Christmas and New Year excesses have caught up with me and this morning I was weighing in at 11 stone 5.8, oops!

I had a bit of a nasty cold/flu pre Christmas and it was so bad I had massive coughing fits if I exerted myself at all, or even went outside, so I stopped my walks. Trouble is with the kids home and a heap of work to do (from home… with kids around…) I haven’t started the walks again yet. I can see the judgement in my dogs eyes… :dog2:

I’ve also slipped in my eating habits, having well and truly re addicted myself to sugar over the festive season! I’m now back to Huel for breakfast and poached eggs for lunch at the moment, trying to slowly reduce quantity of food and sugar without crashing, because I’m so busy I can’t afford a sugar crash right now!

I feel I’m in a bit of a holding pattern. Not gaining anymore weight (thankfully) but not losing any and not feeling super motivated to right now… This could well be a January pattern for me, it was after all last February that I first started trying to lose weight after a ‘stuff my face with leftover Christmas food’ January (and failed, until by Huel journey began in July…), so maybe I’ll keep pottering along trying to slowly get back on track so that by February I can have my ‘New Year New Me’ moment :wink:

How are you all doing? :slight_smile:

@Hayz-NZ @Sarah_Susannah_Berni @lilbo @Emma @TheJackal @AMP @Madferret @LozzaW

Hi @CharlieMay, how funny, I was just thinking about you last night and Wondering how you were getting on.

Your post has made me feel so much better… I got on the scale this morning (have been avoiding them like the plague) and crickey… 3kg agggghhh (about .5st) but I’m not surprised at all after what I’ve been eating for the last 6 weeks.

So today I started back on all my shakes and cups of tea instead of cake / biscuits, feels good to be back but yes it’s going to take me a little while to get out of some bad habits I have formed :weary::weary::weary: I’m up to about 73kg so around 11.7 I think.

It may be a new year but gosh it sure is the same old battle huh!!!

Keep up the good work… will check back in a few weeks. Cross fingers we will all be a few grams lighter :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

Brought some new glass flasks for my tea and smoothies to help me get back on track to. Cross fingers they help :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

I am loving it so far!! I worked up slowly from 1 meal a day, but now most days I have it for all. Unless I’m eating out, but it’s making me aware of my food choices when I do go out, as anything that’s too rich goes straight through me. I’m feeling good on energy levels, managing to weight train again, it’s the evenings I tend to flag, but I just go to bed! That would’ve been when I normally binged as I wanted to stay up…weird logic! I feel like I’ve turned a corner with sweet stuff over xmas; I was also ill and food made me feel worse. It’s been learning that the sweet stuff isn’t going to just disappear and I’m not missing out by saying no. It also helps that nobody bought me any chocolate so I haven’t got any sitting around tempting me. I do need to get on the scales as I’ve been a bit scared to, knowing I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life, but clothes are fitting again and I’m feeling confident that it’s coming off! Big thumbs up for huel!!

We’ve totally got this :crossed_fingers:

Ooh nice, very fancy! My Huel is just shoved in the cupboard between the kid’s school books and the pot of misc. pens and post it notes :wink:

What teas are those then?

All meals, wow, well done! The most I do is 2 meals, since I have to cook an evening meal every day for the kids and I don’t have enough will power to do that and then not eat it :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad you’re loving it - how are you making up your Huel?

I don’t think I have the tolerance for crap food that I used to, I do notice the effects it has on my body a lot more in terms of feeling lethargic, bloated, headachy etc. I’ve also had similar experiences to you; when I was doing more Huel and eating pretty clean, going out for a big ‘all you can eat’ style meal for a birthday was definitely a ‘straight through’ experience for several days :open_mouth:

The clothes are a great indicator :smiley: I’ve gone from sitting on the edge of 14/16 to being comfortable in 12s now and even bought a pair of skinny type jeans before Christmas, whereas I’d usually go for wide leg to fit my thighs in and basically hide my body (I store fat in my thighs and arse, so it’s either tight thighs or gaping waist band, le sigh…). At first I was like, I can’t wear these! But the shop assistant looked at me like I’d gone nuts when I asked if I looked fat in them, so I thought what the heck! Of course my current ‘skinny’ is lots of other people’s ‘fat’ and I’m not done yet, but enjoying the freedom of being 2 stone lighter :slight_smile:

Yeah i don’t have anyone else to consider, cooking for one is a bit of a non event. I’d normally just never do it, then when i got hungry reach for the sweet stuff and binge. So the Huel is great!

I’ve got the vanilla one, although i’ve ordered some unflavoured on my next subscription as i want to add some veg to make some savoury ones. I’ve been adding a bit of almond milk, water and then either bananas, blueberries or cocao powder, or just having it plain. It’s also so much nicer with ice cubes!

Yay! Go you! That’s so amazing, 2 stone is no easy feat. Same as me with the fat stores! Thighs and butt! So hard to lose them on this area. Although I’m also learning to embrace it to some degree, i’m never gonna be a skinny minny as i also weight train, and i enjoy my curves. I’m finding the Huel great after that too, just so convenient, and it hasn’t affected my strength.

1 Like

Well done on what you’ve achieved so far!! With sugar cravings I find frozen grapes amazing :wink:

1 Like

It’s been a long time since my last post and I think that’s because I’ve felt there’s nothing to really report - I’ve been going around in circles, overeating (mainly on the weekends) then using Huel during the week to try and get back on track. But really I’ve just been kind of maintaining/slowly creeping back on weight.

My starting weight 11 months ago was 13 stone 4 (84.4kg).
My lowest weight at Christmas was around 11 stone 1 (70.3kg).
My current weight, this morning, was 11 stone 9.4 (74.1kg).

One thing I’ve come to realise is that eating normal food really triggers my cravings. So I can do a whole day with Huel for breakfast and lunch and suffer no cravings, but as soon as I eat dinner, whether huge or healthy, I want chocolate/cake etc. I regularly have 2 slices of multigrain with natural peanut butter and a bit of nutella as an evening snack, which is not the worst thing, but is around 500 calories! So takes away all my deficit :\

I’ve always thought 100% Huel would not work for me because I cook an evening meal for the family each evening and I’m not good with food FOMO :wink: But hubbie said he wanted a real health kick, so I suggested trying some ‘100% Huel’ days…

We set our parameters to be Huel for all meals made in whatever way we want, with fresh, raw fruit and vegetables as snacks.

Today was Day 1!

I had 3 meals of my standard blend (1 scoop UU, 1 scoop Vanilla, 1 teaspoon raw cacao, 300 ml water and 100ml Alpro coconut - shaken and chilled in the fridge)

Plus snacks of an apple, sugar snap peas, carrots and grapes.

I also added 100ml of Alpro almond milk to the last blend - I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but almond milk really thickens the blend, even when you’re adding more fluid - in fact once I made one with all the fluid being almond milk and by the morning it was too thick to drink! At 13 calories for 100ml, it’s well worth it for a more satisfying tasting blend :smiley:

So according to my FitBit by calories consumed is 1336 and my calories out (so far) is 2384. (need to get back to doing more walking too…)

Got to say right now I’m pretty hungry and could easily have a couple of slices of toast, but instead I’m going to have an early night. Other than some hunger, I’ve felt pretty good all day, no headache, fatigue etc.

I’m not planning to go for this kind of deficit every day though, 500-750 calories under is more sustainable, so I may add in a 4th Huel, or even that couple of slices of toast. But right now I just want to see some results in the right direction! I feel less bloated already :slight_smile:

How is everyone else doing?

@Hayz-NZ @Sarah_Susannah_Berni @lilbo @Emma @TheJackal @AMP @Madferret @LozzaW

1 Like

Welcome back :slightly_smiling_face:
Hueler for 2 months here but loving it so far

2 Likes

Well, today has been tougher than yesterday! There is a certain euphoria in the first day of lower calorie ‘purer’ diet. A satisfaction even in that not stuffed to brim feeling!

This morning I weighed in at 11 stone 6.6, down nearly 3lb! Now I’m under no disillusion that that is fat loss, more loss of bloating and difference in the weight of food consumed, but hey it’s nice not to feel bloated. Plus I woke up really early, but still felt pretty clear headed, nice :slight_smile:

But after a busy morning, where I racked up around 10k steps walking into town and back, having eaten only 2 Huel’s I felt a bit tired. I snacked on some wafer thin ham (24 cals for 3 slices - winning!) and half a bag of hulahoops (salt cravings!) and then, when my hubbie took the kids out, I kind of accidentally napped for 2 hours!! Which is completely unlike me, normally kid free I’d be trying to desperately finish some work or tidy up. When I woke up I felt like I was on another planet, so I had a big glass of home made elderflower cordial and slowly felt better.

I nibbled some veggies when I made the kids tea, then had my Huel. After dinner I had a cup of nettle tea and a sneaky 2 finger kitkat.

As you can see, I’m not sticking to a purely Huel diet, but Huel for meals, with mainly raw fruit/veg for snacks and a couple of small other bits, plus plenty of nettle tea and water. I find something warm and wet really helps with feeling satisfied, even if it’s just herbal tea.

So total calories in 1399 and out 2530 and I’m off to bed!

1 Like

Always wondered why folk snack when they are losing weight. Just stay off snacks and stick to meals. Keeps things simple and keeps food diary and ramblings short and simple :grinning:

1 Like