Ready to drink version of Huel

I don’t really get the point of a RTD Huel, because it would be much more expensive, like Jimmy Joy or other competitors, which I would never buy exactly because they are expensive. I want to have better meals, but I’m not rich so I can’t spend double or triple the price. And even if I had the money, why would I spend more?
An RTD bottle could be useful as an introductory test for new customers, or for very limited situations (like I’m in another city, I’ve no Huel with me, I want an Huel so I go to a supermarket). But that’s the catch: it’s not enough to have an RTD for that scenario, it also must be in every supermarket so that it can be found easily. Maybe that could happen in UK, but I don’t think I will easily see it here in Italy.
I also think the plastic waste will surmount any advantage in term of people eating better, because it would be a bottle for any meal, compared to, I don’t know, a plastic bag of pasta that would last several meals, or a box of veggies. But that could be fixed, maybe using some eco-friendly organic stuff as material?

So for me an RTD version make no sense, but I fully trust the Huel team to be better than me, so I’m sure they will go for the best option since they’ve ben great so far. If they launch an RTD version, it will have its market place and its reasons. :slight_smile:

Hi Phil - I think @rikefrejut has made the point - a RTD product should not be compared with powdered Huel, but other food. If more people consume Huel because of it - that’s a benefit to the environment.

I quite like the idea of RTD for some occasions when even a convenient shake isn’t convenient, but it rarely applies. I actually bought a 6 pack of Saturo when it was released…well over a year ago…but I used it so infrequently I have 2 left past use by date now.

I see a vegan RTD in Tesco now…called uFit. So becoming more mainstream.

Yes but the execution is almost as important as the main product. If you dont make your customers proud of what they are using the connection in the future is not guaranteed. But if you make them available products to complement their experience they probably would become prescribers.

They way of preparing and consuming Huel needs to be improved. From the process from the scoop to the bottle.

I totally disagree! I’m a fairly new Huel subscriber but I intend to stick with it, I think they have got the balance between sound nutrition, taste & convenience pretty spot on!

I wouldn’t purchase an RTD version because I like to make my huel to my own taste & vary it everyday if I want to - Huel powder gives me that freedom.

As for better branding… It might help Huel become more visible & increase sales if it focused on becoming a super trendy brand & everyone was dying to get their pics of themselves drinking Huel in a variety of glamorous/exciting situations on Instagram… I know huel already encourages this & uses it as advertising! But really that’s just marketing bullshit ruled by trends… Loyal customers who make up the core of Huels business will be people who keep coming back because they like the product & the effect on their wellbeing & how it fits into their life… Not superficial branding or a more fancy bottle to drink it out of!

Maybe I’m just old fashioned… I do think though, that an RTD version of Huel in a plastic bottle would destroy or severely dent the company’s claims to be super eco friendly & sustainable.

Several people have mentioned that a plastic bottle would harm Huel’s image as an environmentally friendly company. Well, if and when Huel ever does go down the RTD road, why not sell it in a recyclable carton; like milk? The carton would have enough for, say, five servings; and the customer would keep it in his fridge.

You could also sell a special glass, with notches on the side showing the customer where to fill it up to to get a full serving.

I think it would have to be a fundamentally different drink, though. The soy-based drinks seem to have a better shelf life, as a general rule, than those based on oat or pea proteins like Huel. They’d probably have to invest loads of money in tweaking the formula, stabilizing it to survive in a carton for a week. I’m happy with the way the product works at the moment - it’s not that inconvenient to mix my own meals.

If they perhaps released an RTD meal as a totally separate product line, something like “X by Huel” (“x” being the new product name); and continued manufacturing and selling the powder as it is right now; that would tick everyone’s boxes. They could even base the RTD product on soy, since it seems to work better in that format, and so that Huel could also appeal to soy devotees. Anything’s possible in ten years time, when the company has expanded sufficiently!

Hey dolerocket, this isn’t a dig at you by any means, but are there really still soy devotees??

I find that hard to understand when there seems to have been a lot of evidence over the past few years that soy is damaging to health & disruptive to hormones unless it is eaten in the traditionally fermented manner, as they do in China/SE Asia?

I seem to remember there was a lot about this on the documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead about an American guy who swapped his unhealthy vegan diet, heavy in soy & processed convenience food for an omnivore Paleo diet & vastly improved his health.

Soy is also bad for the planet & environment as a lot of it is GMO & grown in South America where rainforest has been destroyed to accommodate.

I would give a serious side eye to Huel with soy!!

I wasn’t aware of the negative implications of soy! That documentary sounds pretty compelling, and I may hunt it down.

I’m not a particular advocate of soy myself (unless fried tofu counts), I simply assumed that there must be a market for it since loads of foodstuffs and meal replacement shakes use it as a key component. If Huel ever did bring out an RTD meal replacement, I probably wouldn’t buy it. Like I said, I’m happy with the powder format. I just thought that maybe concerns with shelf life would force them to use soy in such a product, and that that wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing as it potentially opens up another sector of the marketplace.

I didn’t know about the issues you mentioned. I’m sort of new to this game! You’ve certainly inspired me to do some reading, though…

Yeah fried tofu can be really tasty… I used to have soy milk as a dairy alternative but I avoid it now based on what I posted above. I enjoyed Cauldron brand marinated tofu in a stir fry occasionally when I was strict veggie & lived near a place that stocked it, but now I eat some meat a couple of times a week & give soy a miss as much as possible… I think it’s added to a lot of things inc. shakes & protein powders because its so cheap due to the scale its produced on for animal feed.

That’s a whole other rabbit hole to go down though, as animal feed made from GMO soy means that the resulting meat from those animals is GMO too but doesn’t have to be labelled as such.

I really appreciate that Huel is properly healthy & removes some of this nutritional & ethical minefield from my daily life though!

Would you be willing to share some links to studies about the negative health effects? I couldn’t find any but I am interested as I use unfermented soy products every day. From my understanding it’s mostly been debunked. Also they do eat a lot of unfermented soy products like tofu in Asia.

Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-02820900966-2/fulltext

The environmental effects of soy are largely caused by the fact that we feed it to cows instead of eating it ourselves. If we ate the soy bean ourselves

Quote from Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jun/21/ethical-living-soya
“The first thing I should do is to explain that although Europe imports 39m tonnes of soya a year (imagine it contained in 15 miles’ worth of lorries bumper to bumper), 90% is destined for animal feed. It’s beef rather than veggie burgers that ate all the soybean. Secondly, at least tofu (soybean curd) allows you to source dietary protein directly from a vegetarian food. By contrast it takes 8-16lb of soybeans to produce 1lb of beef, which is spectacularly inefficient. Hardly a snappy riposte, but it should do the job.”

I’ve seen quite a few different articles over a long period of time Nwolc - would definitely refer you to the documentary I mentioned, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead… Without in-depth googling, this is the best summary I can find for you & it refers to individual studies in the text:
https://www.livestrong.com/article/474660-soy-and-hormonal-imbalance/

I’d imagine there are a lot of studies that say soy is safe, but I would be interested to know who paid for them & whether they have a vested interest in the soy industry… I would suspect they do. But I am very cynical like that!

Looks like I was definitely wrong about the amount of soy consumed in SE Asia though…!

https://www.theveganrd.com/2011/03/soyfoods-in-asia-how-much-do-people-really-eat/

On balance I’d still rather not have soy - but looks as though the evidence against it isn’t as conclusive as I thought… Thank you for picking me up on this!

I’ve been vegan since the 80s when soya was common… There wasn’t much else in UK. I have no qualms about consuming soy although admittedly I don’t much any more apart from a couple of ml in tea a day… And tofu occasionally.

I did watch fat sick and do not remember the anti soy stuff… But I watched it when it first came out. I have the dvd so will try to rewatch… It is a very good doc. As is Supersize Me by Morgan Spurlock

Huel is my daily lunch and occasional breakfast on a normal office based day, but I’ll admit to having a shelf full of 500ml Saturo bottles in the fridge that I’ll grab for wedding days. I pop two bottles in a small thermos lunchbox with an ice pack and they’ll be cold all day.

It’s laziness for sure, but I might get two minutes arriving at the church before the bride for example, I can down 500kcals in seconds and be good for the next 4 hours, to be honest it’s as much due to it being very easy and pleasant to drink (all the flavours taste great and it’s really smooth). Huel has been revelatory for me but I simply can’t neck 500kcals quickly even with a perfect mix, the texture just doesn’t allow it for me. It will be interesting to see what mix they come up with as my guess will be that’s it’s going to feel quite different to anything most of us concoct.

Blimey. How many times you been married?

Be careful about one documetary, especially if it’s based on one individual: that’s not science.

I don’t want to put soya in Huel products, but my decision is partly due to the negativity in the market. However, soya is fine.

And the fact it’s a common allergen. If we can minimise allergens in Huel (GF Huel is allergen free) then all the better.

They didn’t have allergens when I was a kid. Once peanuts got in on the act everyone wants in on it… Lactose, mustard, soya… And now even lupin. I know someone with a kiwi fruit allergy…

Rather than a bottle (plastic) why not one of those cartons with the lined inside? or even a sort of squeezy pouch?

I understand it’s probably a nightmare to choose the best way to carry the drink

@TimOfficialHuel, outside of the debate around the worthiness of a Huel RTD… is there any news you can share around progress/dates? Looking at the telegraph yesterday it would appear that a certain US based RTD is about to hit the UK market.

I’m not @TimOfficialHuel, but I’ll chip in.

Progress is great and things are moving forward, but I wouldn’t want to commit to a date as there are a number of variables. We’re taking our time with this product as we want to get it right, and we will.