Severe back pain & headache - Need advice for chiropractic treatment

Yesterday, I slipped down the stairs and hurt my legs. I am not able to walk because of the pain. There is slight swelling in my legs. I kept ice pack for 10 to 20 minutes every 2 hours. But there isn’t any change in my condition.

So I did elevation in order to decrease swelling and bruising. Still, I’m experiencing the pain. A friend of mine suggested undergoing chiropractic services from a clinic in Toronto. I am unaware of this treatment. Can chiropractors help with the sprained ankle? Is this effective? Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Put your feet up and drink a Huel.

2 Likes

Chiropractic treatment is an alternative medicine, an alternative to actual scientific medicine that’s based on peer reviewed research. In the dark days of medicine there was a lot of crackpot ideas about how one should be treated and luckily most fell away as scientific knowledge increased but unfortunately some persist to this day such as homeopathy, chiropractic or putting crystals in your shoe and praying… There have been countless studies into Chiropractic over the years and the overwhelming majority of these show that undertaking Chiropractic treatment is not effective in the treatment of the conditions they claim to help. Even previous studies that said it was good for lower back pain only have subsequently been disproved. It should also be noted that there is a small chance of a catastrophic stroke when undertaking their favourite manoeuvre, the massive neck crack. Over the years Chiropractic practitioners have blurred the lines between what they offer and the services of physiotherapists and other legitimate treatments and have also distanced themselves from the more ridiculous historic claims of their ‘profession’. There will be many anecdotes from those who have visited Chiropractors and had a positive experience, I would suggest googling the Placebo Effect and Revert To The Mean. I would also suggest visiting a registered medical professional if the injury persists.

Here’s what Science-Based Medicine has to say about Chiropractic: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/chiropractic/

1 Like