Do you want Sodium Fluoride to be added to Huel? (poll inside)

That is because it’s been banned, stopped or been rejected for the other 98%.

Whether it’s healthy or not is still controversial, so maybe Huel could simply not get involved. That would leave us with the option of using fluoride mouthwash and toothpaste, if desired.

9 Likes

In addition to your points, some regions don’t add fluoride because it already occurs at levels close to those recommended. We don’t have all the numbers for those.

1 Like

Have you got a source on that?
You realise that you could buy sodium fluoride cheaply, and consume it separately?

I drink roughly 4L of water a day separately from the 2L of water I get from Huel. 2L on its own seemed low to me.

Why wouldn’t the water in some foods also contain Fluoride?

I like this idea, but maybe you could make a separate version of Huel with fluoride specially designed for areas of the world where they don’t have access to fluoride.

1 Like

“inorganic chemical” is in fact a technical term. See inorganic chemistry. I make this point, not because I think that this definition matters in any more general context, but for this specific discussion it is important that we all understand such terms in the same way.

Is this what you mean by “inorganic chemical”, or is it actually artificial substances that you are looking to avoid?

I think Huel without fluoride is the way to go; then all the consumers’ teeth will fall out if we don’t use fluoridated toothpaste/water. Luckily we don’t need teeth to consume Huel, and they “could” increase their customer base.

*yes it is a a lame attempt at humour!

10 Likes

I’m unsure that flouride is a bad thing. The NHS only lists it as a potentialproblem in high doses for children with developing teeth and Huel isn’t listed as for children.

1 Like

I got dental fluorosis as a kid from high amounts of fluoride.
My ideal version of Huel would be one that’s safe for kids and pregnant women.

1 Like

I actively avoid fluoride in toothpaste and bottled water - and do not use tap water. This will stop me using Huel.

Now, the reasons are of course personal to myself, but I don’t believe I need it and the links to ADHD, hypothyroidism, and endocrine dysfunction are why I avoid it.

4 Likes

Hrm, it does state it’s not suitable for children or pregnant women or to consult your doctor before using it. Their individual and ideal nutritional requirement differ from us “norms”

Yes, I realise that adults have different needs but @Julian has stated that he may make a version of Huel suitable for children in future Why huel could be not recommended for children? - #2 by Julian
and the addition of Fluoride strays from that idea.

Ahh. Can’t wait for gluten & flouride free unflavoured but sweetened Huel and all 20,000 derivatives of every flavoured flavour pouches with or without sucralose!

6 Likes

Even when omitting outliers like pregnant women and children, the range that everyone else (“norms”) covers is enormous. This is why it is such a challenge to keep everyone happy. I think there is a case to be made for a new product release - “Huel Zero” - no added sodium, no added flavouring/sweetener, no gluten, no added fluoride, etc. And maybe it should even aim for complete nutrition in terms of micros and macros (to a certain extent) at a lower total calorie count (e.g. 1800 kcal).

You want some more sodium/electrolytes? - add it yourself accordingly.
You want some more fats? - blend in some nuts/seeds.
You want some more protein? - blend in some hemp protein powder.
You want some more fibre? - add in some ground psyllium husks.
Etc.

Heck Huel Ltd. could even sell additional powders/packs to achieve the consumers personalised nutrition, just like they already do with the flavour packs! Aaaaaand… on top of this they could easily make a simple app to help users portion out the right amount of ingredients (if they weren’t inclined to work it out themselves). You could have an entire product line:

• Huel Core
  • Huel Flavour Packs
  • Huel Protein Pack (e.g. some blend that is mostly protein to have minimal impact on the other macros & micros)
  • Huel Fat Pack
  • Huel Fibre Pack
  • Huel Simple-Carbs Pack
  • Huel Complex-Carbs Pack
  • Huel Sodium Pack
  • Huel Fluoride Pack
    Etc. Etc.

Not everyone would need each of these additives. The ability to add to Huel Zero should be viewed as a positive, the lack of ability to take ingredients away from, say, Huel v2.0 is a negative.

Edit: Bizarre that I only saw the post directly above this after writing this one! =D

Edit2: You could leave the vitamin/mineral blend out in a Pack on it’s own too. This would allow individuals to optimise their micro-nutrient intake too.

3 Likes

Huel Zero, nutritionally incomplete human food.

5 Likes

While that did get a laugh out of me, I’d still make the argument that it can still be considered “nutritionally complete” - just for certain activities/activity levels. With the correct proportions of the additive Packs it can be “personally nutritionally complete”. As it is, Huel is something like “generically nutritionally complete”.

If Sodium Fluoride is being added purely for dental and oral hygiene then no.

I’m no expert on the subject but in my opinion dental mouthwash is as important to dental and oral hygiene as brushing itself. Adding Sodium Fluoride into my food just because some people don’t use decent toothpaste or use mouthwash at all is not what should be done.

7 Likes

INT. Nick’s house, Autumn, raining.

NICK sits sobbing on the sofa, rocking back and forth, tears roll down his face into…

CLOSE UP OF BOWL OF BLAND COLOURLESS FLAVOURLESS SLOP.

NICK: “I’m so glad I bought this new food, it’s truly the future”

NICK WIPES TEAR FROM EYE WITH THE BACK OF HIS HAND

NICK: “It’s a beautiful blend of bits of dried vegetable and contains no sodium, no flavour, no sweetener, no fluoride and is made in an environment that contains no traces of nuts or gluten.”

NICK LOOKS AT THE EMPTY SOFA OPPOSITE.

NICK: “My only regret in life is that I didn’t have any children so that I could feed them nutritionally incomplete human food which contains just some of the vitamins & minerals a person needs to survive. If only my own mother had raised me on a diet so varied.”

NICK REACHES FOR BOTTLE OF MORPHINE AND SPRINKLES A FEW DROPS ON HIS FLAVOURLESS BREAKFAST, SLOWING STIRRING THE SLOPPY LIQUID WITH HIS CHEAP ALUMINIUM SPOON.

NICK: But at least I’ll feel better in a few minutes.

NICK CRUNCHES UP TESCO VALUE MULTIVITAMIN AND MIXES IT IN.

SCENE MISSING

TEARS

2 Likes

I’m also in the no boat to adding fluoride - I wish I’d known before-hand so I could have placed my next order early and avoided version 2.0 and stuck with 1.2.
Have you changed the GF version in the same way?
Thanks

3 Likes

I use fluoride toothpaste but I’m against adding fluoride to Huel. Fluoride is not an essential nutrient [1] and has a low upper tolerable intake which makes it easy to unwittingly consume too much [2].

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/3332 [1]
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/fluoride#adverse-effects [2]

2 Likes

I’ve just seen that James Collier has voted voted “no” to fluoride in Huel! I wonder why it was added to Huel if their own nutritionist is against it!

2 Likes