Do you want Sodium Fluoride to be added to Huel? (poll inside)

We are all entitled to change our minds, especially in light of new information.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a definite no. With almost all toothpastes being fluoridated nowadays, thereā€™s no need to add it to a product like this, and for those that do want it, can very easily source it elsewhere. Iā€™ll be holding off buying my next large batch until we get word on the matter.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out. I must have clicked that in error - I tried to take my vote off, but all itā€™s done is moved my vote to ā€˜yesā€™, when I didnā€™t want to vote at all! Please ignor my vote.

2 Likes

Can I ask why you are so afraid of a minuscule amount of fluoride? You speak of wanting to ā€˜avoidā€™ it, but whatā€™s it going to do? Explode in your face?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already stated I already live in an area that adds fluoride to the water at 1.5mg/l, add that to the current amount of fluoride in Huel 2.0 and youā€™ll see its not exactly miniscule but actually above the recommendations. And while it may not explode in my face as you put it, but as its a known neurotoxin and I, like others here who you seem to have skipped mocking, want to avoid it. As is my right when paying for a product. If Huel add fluoride I will cease to purchase the product. And no where do I say Iā€™m afraid of it, if just like to avoid it.

5 Likes

Why not keep fluoride out and just let people know that itā€™s not in there? Then, if they want it they can find it somewhere else on their own accord.

To put it another way: It hasnā€™t been included up to this point, and if itā€™s never added, no one will miss it.

I voted no, as my partner will take a firm stance of not buying Huel again if itā€™s added.

5 Likes

In Huel v2.0, Fluoride is included by adding Sodium Fluoride.

I am advised by my doctor to monitor and limit my Sodium intake, due to being at risk of developing hypertension.

Hence I voted ā€˜Noā€™, because the Sodium content of Huel v2.0 is already a bit too high for me (and there is no way I can remove the Sodium from Huel). By not including Fluoride (as Sodium Fluoride), the Sodium level in Huel will decrease, which is good for me.

Additionally, fluoridated toothpaste is trivially available in every shop that sells toothpaste in my country.

2 Likes

Because fluoride ingestion across the country is so varied, and itā€™s use so controversial, I would agree completely with your suggestion of edging towards removing it. Customers will end up with unpredictable amounts of a non-essential ingredient depending on where they live (on top of whether or not they consume tea, for example, which can provide very high levels of fluoride!)

4 Likes

There are many places that have made it quite clear how negative fluoride can be for other parts of body and immune system. Of course it is not mentioned in mainstream as its been 'okā€™d by manstream .govā€™s. I am surprised, shocked and disappointed that such a great product would even consider doing this.

I think there is also a reason for only having so much protein as a daily recommended amount for consumption. We each have different requirements, proteins make muscle and other parts of our body grow, it also makes negative things grow as well. It made my psoriasis get much worse, my knee joints became very painful. My body is very sensitive so i need less protein, my issues only flare up in the past when i ate too much protein. If you could separate the protein so i can add that which i need then i would live purely of Hule. As it stands, am now making my own powdered foods which is a hassle, i would much sooner just eat Hule. Too much protein+fluoride will cause illness.

2 Likes

This genuinely comes across like the anti vacers - put the fluoride in and donā€™t worry about it, the world will be a happier place and youā€™ll lose ten customers.

4 Likes

Fluoride is just too variable and controversial (as in the science really isnā€™t decided, not ā€œsome people think its badā€), and salt is the easiest thing to add to something and one of the hardest things to remove from diet in general (anyone not on 100% Huel is likely to exceed daily salt recommendations unless theyā€™re very careful now. I know that my non-Huel meals are more likely to be a ā€œcheatā€ meal or a meal out than a green salad without dressing - when Huel had less salt then I didnā€™t have to worry, now Iā€™ll definitely be over-sodium-ed). Iā€™d vote for a lowering of salt (with a recommendation to add for the 100% Huelers, you could even sell small branded packets to shake into the big packs upon delivery for the 100%ers!) and abandoning fluoride.

6 Likes

That contributes nothing to the discussion. Youā€™ve missed the point entirely - is Fluoride essential for your nutrition needs? The only answer is ā€œnoā€. I donā€™t recall Huel being a dental health and/or public health company so why are they over-reaching?

3 Likes

It adds everything to the discussion. Youā€™re a tiny, tiny vocal minority that has an unfounded unscientific objection to something for whatever reason.

Thatā€™s fine. But the reality is of the thousands of Huel customers Barely 5% will even notice the 2.0 changes or even ever checks the ingredients.

I trust the ā€œchefsā€. If you donā€™t like it donā€™t buy it but donā€™t pretend your opinion is indicative of the masses. This poll isnā€™t :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am a professional scientist. Okay, suppose you live in the Republic of Ireland. By law, the public access fluoridated water from the local water supply there. It is likely that the significant amount of fluoride in Huel v2.0 when coupled with water is going to drive you over some of the recommended upper limits for fluoride. What now? Youā€™re laissez-faire attitude is no adequate solution.

Edit: Huel isnā€™t a Mars Bar - I think you have greatly underestimated the number of customers who care about each and every ingredient in Huel. This is particularly true of the customers who eat close to 100% Huel.

8 Likes

as a ā€œscientistā€ you know that recommended levels of anything are normally a factor of 100 away from ā€œdangerousā€.

Secondly - as someone who studies human nature for a living I can tell you that - 95% of Huel users donā€™t read this forum, 90% of forum users only visit once every 2-4 weeks and of those that visit once a week or more, only 10% of those saw your poll and of THOSE only the motivated ones bothered to click it and vote.

Also your poll wouldnā€™t stand up in any sort of scientific trial as it wears itā€™s bias on every word.

You care. Thats great, you should care. A statistically insignificant number of others agree with you.

4 Likes

Nonsense - you try eating 500g of Sodium, for example (I do NOT actually recommend doing this). All the nutrient quantities are worthy of serious consideration, particularly to anyone eating 100% Huel over a long period of time. Consulting the forum or not Iā€™d imagine a lot of users consider this page - https://huel.com/pages/nutritional-information-and-ingredients. That looks a lot different than it did a year ago for new/prospective customers. In some ways it has improved sure, but it has also needlessly regressed.

Not my poll. It doesnā€™t matter if there are few of us caring about the details - weā€™ll sort this out and you and your ā€œ95%ā€ can rest easy.

1 Like

Which specific claim you are referring to?

As is so typical in an online discussion, you pretend you have no bias, ignore points made against your points and continue regardless. It was already obvious you were;t listening to other opinions, hereā€™s some more proof :slight_smile:
Nobody cares about the fluoride (or atleast, not enough of the user base to matter). I see it so often, the inability to discern what you yourself believe from what others believe, or do.

1 Like

You are in the tiny minority that thinks fluoride needs to be added to Huel or anything else.

Natural food contains practically no fluoride at all, and there is a reason for that. We dont need it.

Or do you suppose that fluoride is the only substance on earth that needs to be elevated by man, to far greater levels than ever occur naturally?

3 Likes