Do you want Sodium Fluoride to be added to Huel? (poll inside)

I hope that the Huel team will stick with the changes they made in v2.0.

It would be a shame to reverse course and let the improvements get derailed by a small number of people here in the forum who are so alarmist about the changes.

I agree with @Tetsugaku about some people here sounding just like anti-vaccers. We see users in this forum using the same kind of alarming language and tone, describing how they don’t want “poison” in their bodies.

Just like with the hysterical anti-vaccers, the rest of us need be strong enough to make sure they don’t get their way, no matter how much noise the small number of them make.

2 Likes

Can I ask what way you think it’s regressed? We haven’t removed anything from the nutrition page, just added things!

Sorry, I was referring only to the nutrition/formula and not the page itself! The page is a brilliant resource. Though on a related note it would be neat to see a paragraph there on the merits of Fluoride and Salt being added to Huel V2.0 (beyond the quantities occurring in the primary ingredients) just so that users (new and old) can understand their inclusion, in the context of the other aspects of the formula.

1 Like

You can make your point without being an abrasive dickhead.

Like too much salt and flouride.

Its just reading statistics that are based on precisely nothing reminded me of an inconsequential waste of protoplasm.

Maybe you haven’t encountered protoplasm before?

Do we know what the levels of Fluoride were in previous Huel versions? I know you weren’t adding Sodium Fluoride before but I would be surprised if the Fluoride level in, say Huel v1.2, was zero. Was any detected in your manufacturing tests previously? @Gulliver_Huel

1 Like

I like how everyone’s arguing over this but the links I’ve provided have only been clicked ONCE.

I believe most of you are arguing based on opinion right now, please give sources and evidence to why or why not Fluoride should be added!

2 Likes

It’s almost like very few people, even the tiny amount of customers who post in this forum, worry about the flouride.

And it really does sound like the anti-vaxxers here talking about their poisons. I’m just waiting for someone to come along and go on about government sponsored big-pharma trying to control our minds or even worse, post an article that cites a some guy from a Daily Mail comment thread as a source.

2 Likes

Right, inspired the the anti-vaxxer horrors of fluoride I’ve done a Google search which sums up the horror of what the daily mail thinks of it “fluoride site:dailymail.co.uk” and here are the results, which pretty much sums up this thread:

Is fluoride good for us?
Fluoride 'could give you bone cancer’
Is fluoride good for our health?
Fluoride in water to protect teeth could spark depression, scientists warn
£5 toothpaste binds to the teeth and fills in decay before releasing calcium and fluoride
MPs approve fluoride in tap water
NHS could save millions in tooth extractions by putting fluoride in the water
Fears of fluoride plans
Fluoride in the water - even if you don’t want it
Why budget tea bags are BETTER for your teeth.
Now fluoride is off the menu! Celebrity chef Pete Evans reveals his family doesn’t drink tap water… but doctors say his views are from the ‘Stone Age’

Sadly it would appear that fluoride-bashing at the Daily Mail hasn’t reached the levels of hysteria that slow news days normally trigger there and the golden ratio of Fluoride both CAUSES and CURES cancer as well as lowering house prices in the same article haven’t been met.

1 Like

Fluoride is a non-essential element which many Huel customers could potentially overdose if they live in areas with fluorinated water and/or use fluorinated toothpaste (totally non-extreme scenarios). A product with the moto “Everything your body needs. Nothing more.” totally deserves being criticized as many customers choose to consume Huel not only for the elements it contains but also for the elements it DOES NOT.

You can call us anti-vaxxers if it makes you feel wiser but that doesn’t make a strong point for overdosing with a non-essential element by an Everything-your-body-needs-Nothing-more product.

Thankfully Julian sort of agrees with this point.

5 Likes

Do you consider some users to be like “anti-vaxxers” because they question the amount of added salt in V2.0 too? Why do you ridicule the Fluoride discussion and not the Sodium discussion? What about a discussion about the Protein content of Huel? Maybe you don’t care about the nutrition profile at all. In that case, you might want to try the Potato Diet. Obligatory link - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3535562/Andrew-Flinders-Taylor-year-long-potato-diet-lost-32kg-starting-January.html.

Fluoride is as much an aspect of Huel Nutrition as anything else. We must have an opportunity to openly discuss it like anything else. Or should some ingredients be treated as special because they unfortunately carry extreme negative or positive connotations? Don’t talk about Fluoride people, at any arbitrary dose - it’s fine!

Maybe we could all learn from a sensible discussion like this - https://discourse.soylent.com/t/is-fluoride-neccesary/2802.

2 Likes

I run marathons and stuff, I’m happy about my salt and potato intake.

1 Like

I see both sides to this.

Sodium Fluoride is toxic in higher doses but that doesn’t make it a poison. Vitamin A is a poison in the wrong doses as the explorers who ate the polar bear liver found out. The effects of mild overconsumption seem pretty tame.

In some cases anti-fluoridation crowd movement does share some commonality with anti vaxxers and calling it a poison doesn’t help. The conspiracies around Fluoride and mind controlling Nazis/Communists are pretty wild. In the past this has made me discredit most of the anti fluoride claims.

Despite this I’m beginning to change my mind and don’t think Fluoride belongs in Huel. Both sides seem to exaggerate the risks and benefits but I haven’t seen enough evidence either way.

No need for the panic. I’m not excessively worried about it and it won’t stop be buying v 2.0 but it probably should be reviewed. So far I’ve been very impressed by the team at Huel and trust them to create the best product they can.

7 Likes

Exactly! Instead of providing relevant, scientifically validated research, and internationally recognised health studies that show benefits or otherwise of the ingredient in the quantities likely to be consumed, it’s odd how some instead choose to resort to insults attempting to make those with concerns appear like “anti-vaxxers” or whatever, rather than attempting to rationally provide anything remotely scientific. I believe this is know as argumentum ad hominem (a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself)

For example, if I responded that they might have perhaps ingested too much fluoride over their lifetimes… that might be stooping to their level. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (That’s intended as a joke, by the way, before anyone throws their toys out of the pram).

1 Like

Please be aware of who brought anti-vaxxers into the discussion. That is off-topic.

Fluoride is not meant to be ingested, it’s action is topical on the tooth enamel. This is why toothpastes are also not meant to be swallowed, and why lots of children’s toothpastes do not contain fluoride (because of danger of swallowing).

Even the action of just drinking fluoridated water has little effect on caries. The main mechanism of action of fluoridated water comes into effect when one rinses their mouth (usually to remove remains of toothpaste) and swooshes the water around their teeth - that is when the fluorine ions in the fluoridated water come into longer contact with the tooth enamel.

Essentially, if Huel wanted to provide any benefits through adding fluoride, they would have to advise to use Huel as a mouthwash - to put the water containing Huel in their mouth, swoosh it all around the teeth for ~10s (made up number by me), and then swallow it (unlike mouthwash). That is a pretty horrifying image.

If you’d like a study, there are plenty online. People on this forum seem to view this source in high regard, so I will use it too:

Disclaimer: I have visible dental fluorosis on my two upper front teeth due to using a fluoridated toothpaste and being in an area with water fluoridation when I was a child - and neither I nor my parents were aware of this possible effect. I view it as a minor cosmetic issue, and am not doing anything about it - but there are people who view it is a very bad cosmetic issue. Had my parents known, I would not have had this issue.

4 Likes

What just happened? Why did the title of my thread get changed to (troll inside)?

I saw it too. If you check the edit history for the title, you will see it was changed by a forum member who has title edit privileges - it was not done by an official Huel moderator/representative (which would be extremely unprofessional).

thanks
it was edited by @Raymondcal for some reason. I’ve never seen him post about this before

Probably got changed by the same person who deleted my obviously controversial post towards some dude who ridiculously claims anyone who questions anything to be an anti-vaccer.