Going Huel full-time. Healthy?

Hey Guys,

I’ve been considering going from having Huel for breakfast to having Huel for all meals of the day. When I asked a doctor friend about this they said they couldn’t recommend it and that solid normal, healthy food was better. I was wondering if this is true and if it would be a bad move to go Huel for all meals of the day? Looking online there doesn’t seem to be many immediately apparent clinical studies on this.

For the record I have no issue with the taste of Huel, live a healthy lifestyle and would eat healthy, non-junk-food meals were I to not go full Huel.

Hi,

I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be healthy honestly. Now, I’m no expert but from my understanding Huel contains everything your body needs including phytonutrients. I am 100% most of the time. I feel great. I chew gums and occasionally have granola and my bowels work fine, too. I haven’t had blood tests or such but I imagine they would be better now compared to my previous diet consiting of vegan junk food.

1 Like

Most of the time medical people say these things because they don’t actually understand what Huel is. Nutritionally complete powdered foods have been around for years and some of the older ones were very poor quality using things like maltodextrin as the main carb source.

There are people on the forums who are 100%. Here is one thread. I believe the only draw back was a folate deficiency. Huel has since increased the amount of folate since this thread was started.

Huel also funded two month long clinical trials of 100% users, the article is here.

A user once reported that their teeth started to feel weak being 100% Huel, so maybe using chewing gum would assist with that.

3 Likes

@Brahms My recommendation would be to learn more about nutrition so that you can educate your doctor (or just find a doctor who is more knowledgeable already).

Doctors often have a knee-jerk reaction to complete foods, because these foods are simply too new for the doctors to have learned about them. I was lucky with my doctors - they continue learning all the time so they knew about complete foods already and looked into them.

1 Like

Hey @Brahms!

In a nutshell, Huel is a nutritionally complete food. At 2000 calories, Huel supplies sufficient amounts of all nutrients you need; including macros (protein, carbs, fat, fibre) & micronutrients (vits & mins). In some instances, Huel goes above and beyond the recommended Nutrient Reference Values (NRV) for certain micronutrients, where we believe higher intakes would have beneficial effects to health. For example, it’s widely believed that as a population, we’re not consuming enough vitamin C. As such, Huel (Vanilla) has been formulated to contain 375% of the Vit C NRV (based on a 2000kcal Huel diet).

If you’re looking for advice regarding diet and nutrition you should always discuss with either Dieticians or registered Nutritionists versus Doctors. Most Doctors are only given basic training in nutrition as part of their education and as such are not experts in this field. To give you piece of mind, Huel was formulated by James Collier BSc (Hons), Registered Nutritionist. He has over 25 years of experience working in nutrition and dietetics, including 7 years as a Clinical Dietician in the NHS.

Yet another doctor giving advice without really having a clue what they’re talking about. I’ve made the point elsewhere in this forum that GP’s are not oracles. They have wide-ranging, but very, very general medical knowledge. I work with them so I know from extensive first hand experience.

Hi!
Well, I personally feel much better with 100% Huel than eating “real food” (I know, Huel is also real food, but you know what I mean) or just replacing two meals a day. I never felt tired after my meals again, I felt satiated throughout the day and to me the most convincing fact is, that my dyshidrotic eczema absolutely vanished just because of Huel. Obviously there are some ingredients in “normal” food, that are not good for my body, but unfortunately I still don’t know what they are. Huel helped me immensely there. I have been trying to find out about my triggers for the last decade.
The interesting thing here is, as soon as I started eating vegetarian meals again, the eczema returned. So I am going back to 100% Huel as soon as possible (waiting for my next delivery) and I will also try to identify my triggers with the help of Huel. Before Huel, my only option to do this was to eat cooked white rice and then slowly adding ingredient after ingredient, until I would show a reaction. That was grueling and took weeks over weeks, and so I didn’t stick to it. But with Huel, I know that my body is healthy and I can take my time to find the foods that cause my skin troubles.
So yes, from my experience, 100% Huel feels good :).

I know that this is not a clinically verified answer, but from my subjective experience, I can really recommend going 100%.
Maybe some of you guys out there have similar problems.

Cheers!

3 Likes