Huel & Hypothyroidism

The instructions are not to have food or coffee until at least 30 minutes after taking, preferably 60 minutes. So surely take your levothyroxine with water at 6.15 and have breakfast and coffee at 6.45. No issue.

I’d be surprised if you fainted after cycling 14k on an empty stomach. That’s less than an hour of cycling so you’d be unlikely to have used up your glycogen reserves by then.

Never said there was anything wrong with wanting or having a coffee in the morning. I just suggested you follow the instructions and have it after your medication.

Each to their own I guess. I was just a bit puzzled as to why anyone would deliberately ignore instructions on how to effectively take their medication, especially if they are concerned about possible impact of Huel on its effectiveness. Didn’t make sense to me that you’d then be deliberately doing something that you know makes it less effective.

I was unaware of such dietary restrictions with Levothyroxine. I recall the advice is to avoid 30minutes before food or caffeine because this will prevent absorption and reduce its efficacy. May I ask who gave you the initial advice?

1 Like

Instructions in medication packets are generic.
Advice from your own GP who knows you well and has been monitoring your condition long-term, is personalised.
If someone is following their own GP’s instructions, I don’t think we should criticise them for not following the generic…

There are numerous times that my GP has prescribed me medication in a way that is not described on the packet, or has actively told me to ignore a specific piece of generic information

2 Likes

As my dose was optimized in combination with coffee and milk, it will be the optimal dose when I take it with that.

In accordance to the Huel, this is an addition to this scheme and as Huel has calcium which inhibits absorption, it could have potentially have an effect. But as it turns out, for me, it doesn’t.

And yes, for me cycling on an empty stomach for 14k will cause my blood sugar to drop very low. I also don’t have the option to have breakfast at work, so there’s that.

I’m not sure what your background is, but I think you’re not keeping an open mind and projecting your own experiences on someone else. I’m not you, what works for me is something else than what works for you. And as my doctor approved this and my blood work is perfect, imho there is no problem. I already regret bringing this up tbh.

@ROAG you’re managing your condition, you’re managing you’re life. It’s all good, you’re doing exactly what you need to do

1 Like

Not sure who you were asking this question to. For me, my endocrinologist went through the instructions for taking Levothyroxine when I was first prescribed. Information about taking on an empty stomach and avoiding caffeine and food for 30-60 minutes are also in the leaflet that comes with the tablets.

I was told that it’s helpful when first trying to establish the correct dose to ensure that you avoid anything which might impact absorption.

Im really not projecting my experiences on anyone. I only responded because you resurrected a year old thread to share a personal anecdote about your experience of taking levothyroxine in a non standard way without including in your initial post the crucial information that this was in agreement with your doctor.

My concern was that this would encourage others to also take their medication contrary to the recommended instructions without an understanding of tolerances and parameters and that it could impact them achieving control of their hypothyroidism.

In any case, I had no intention of starting an argument so apologies if I came off as a bit aggressive. I’m happy you have your hypothyroidism under control as I know how difficult it can be to get to stable levels. If what you are doing works for you then great.

Unfortunately in the U.K. there is still a great deal of inconsistency in how thyroid disorders are managed and a lot of misinformation which prevents people getting to a good outcome. There are also many cases globally where despite blood test results within the normal range people still experience symptoms so I probably overreacted to sharing of anecdotal personal experience which if followed by someone else without consultation with their doctor could result in getting fluctuations in their results.

1 Like

Question to the OP. Yes the guidelines you mentioned sounds about correct. Its purley out of professional interest that I ask. In my experience there is much over precautios prescribing. The BNF can be appplied literally and in accordance with past history and ebidence base but there appears to be conflict with evidemce based knowledge and tacit knowledge.

1 Like

I take my medication at night. Solves all problems and I don’t care about any side effects. I am On a very low dose though.

I’ve been taking Levothyroxine for over 16 years now first thing in the morning, I never even knew about not taking any iron/calcium for 4 hours after.

Checked the leaflet and it only mentions no food for 30 minutes - preferably an hour - after taking :worried:

Hi - found this thread and was interested as I have an under active thyroid and take thyroxine. It was only when I moved GP practice that I got different instructions on avoiding caffeine etc and had no idea how important it was until I did some reading - so I don’t think medication compliance advice is always very strong. However I think the calcium concern might be a bit misleading. Huel has 2mg of calcium per 1g of powder. Therefore a 3 scoop shake would have 250mg of calcium - this is equivalent to a 200ml glass of milk and much less than the 800mg of calcium you would get in the average supplement so I think it is probably not necessary to wait four hours between thyroxine and huel. I just treat huel like food and therefore try to leave an hour before huel like I do with caffeine and food. This would seem reasonable to me.

1 Like

I would say that seems to be correct, although I don’t speak from personal experience, just from reading the instructions above,

Hi

I am starting Huel today. I have just bought supplies.

In regards to the Huel and your T4 Meds (Levothyroxine/Thyroxine)

1. Med should only be taken with water & no other medication.
  2. You should not consume any food/drink for an hour to allow proper digestion. ( I take mine at 5 am - that will be changing as I am going to use my Huel as part of IF) So I will just take it in the am.
  3. You should not take your Vitamins within a certain period after Levo - I think it was 4 hrs.Most people with UAT or Hashimotos are on supplements due to deficiencies caused by the disease.
  4. Soy is a NO NO for anyone with UAT or Hashis. Huel does not contain this so that’s a BIG ONE for me.
  5. Huel is GLUTEN FREE which is VERY important with UAT and Hashis

The only thing that is not great - however this can be a personal choice … is that it contains Sucralose. There are healthier options to sweeteners (nutritive/non nutritive) - any sugar or sweetener is recommended to be removed if you have the two issues. Especially Hashis - as it can be counter productive to your two types of anti bodies.

I am looking so forward to using the product. I still actually need to check the other ingredients. However - I have just had a full thyroid panel & vitamin tests done - so I will use this for the next 6 weeks and see if all is good - which I hope it is!!!

Hope some of this helps. x

Thanks for the reply! I hope you have a good time with Huel and it does your body good too :slight_smile: I had my bloodwork done on Monday after almost 6 months Huel (2x daily and normal evening meal) and my TSH levels were perfect. Happy :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thank you for response : :slightly_smiling_face: I do watch my TSH. However in this instance , I am interested in the following:

1. T3
  2. Anti Bodies
  3. Lastly - if I have any gut reactions. As I get quite a few… I have narrowed it all down yet, but Gluten is a Big one for me. I saw now that tehy use Tapioca Starch - I assume it is GF?

Awesome, thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your TSH is fine, your T3 should also be fine, as they are in a feedback loop. Here T3 and T4 doesn’t even get tested if the TSH levels are fine (cause they then always are fine too).

Antibodies is another thing if course, but I don’t know if your diet has such a big effect on it.

As for the gluten, the gluten free version is certified gluten free. The tapioca is only used as an ingredient in Huel v3.0. If you have bought recently, you will have version 2.3 without tapioca.

Happy Huelling and keep us posted! Hope all goes well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

There is an abundance of articles that state that TSH is not the best indicator. Off course - if we looking at symptoms you may be in the Low range of the T4 & T3 and your TSH is in range - but still have the original symptoms. Therefore you need to always test for T4 & T3 also. T4 is not always converting into T3 correctly and then you have RT3. Ideally T4 & T3 need to be in the high range of “normal” .
Range for T4 is (12 pmol/L - 22 pmol/L). Range for T3 is ( 2.10 pmol/L - 6.80 pmol/L). According to the endocrinologists (private ) here in UK & the testing companies who you can order home test Normal TSH is : ( 0.27 mIU/L - 4.2 mIU/L) as the GPS and NHS Endo’s do not order full Thyroid panels - they should follow the nice guidelines which also infact states that a patient should be dosed according to weight - which they do not.

In regards to Anti Bodies and CRP HS - the higher they are - shows that there is inflammation in the body. Inflammation can be caused by diet. AIP is recommended for 30 days to ascertain what types of food/substances are aggravating you/

I am using the Ready-to Drink complete Meal at the moment - it does state that V1 is has Gluten Free Oats also that the product is GF. I wonder if there is a version without Tapioca Starch… however as I said they say V1 is GF so not sure if the Tapioca Starch is GF?

Thanks for the positive support :100:

I have Hashimoto’s, confirmed by biopsy. I’m under the care of a hospital consultant currently as even though I’ve been on thyroxine for 25 or so years, my TSH has always been unmeasurably low and my T4 on the high side of normal (but still in range). Until now I’ve never lived in one place long enough for my GP to get antsy about my low TSH but they fussed so much I asked to be referred to hospital to get it sorted. So I recently had my T3 measured and that was mid-range. No-one can suggest why my TSH is suppressed but the nice professor at the hospital is bringing my dose of levothyroxine down very slowly trying to bring it into range as apparently that will make everybody happier. So maybe my feedback loops are broken?

I’m not a doctor so I wouldn’t know. Hope you feel good though and get the care you need!

I have post-natal Graves or Hashimoto, it’s inconclusive because the signs are not clear. I never had any symptoms, not when my levels were going through the roof, not when they were super low. Maybe there’s also a lot broken with me :wink:

I just get checked out now every 4 months and as long as my TSH is good, my doctors don’t worry.

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed hypothyroid (Hashimoto) for over 8 years and explored multiple ways to help manage any possible swings in my body due having a fixed T4 dose from Levothyroxine. I have had my dose increased and decreased multiple times (even asymmetric dose -different dose on the weekends). I have found that this came from my weight increasing or decreasing which changes with dose change… annoying. Ie if I put on weight a normal thyroid would increase T4 production but this does not happen when hypothyroid meaning a dose adjustment to be within normal TSH levels.

However my current regime of:

• ensuring no consumption of caffeine or food (especially grapefruit) for an hour after taking my medication in the morning and taking it at almost the same time each day,

• the 5:2 diet of 500-600 (max 800 cals 1-2 bottles) twice a week using ready to drink huel (up to two bottles at 12pm and 6pm),

• replacing lunches during the working week with ready-to-drink huel,

• and working out (resistance training ie kettlebell/swimming ) twice a week,

seems to have multiple combined positive effects for me when managing hypothyroidism. For instance:

• the 5:2 intermittent fast increases effective T3 sensitivity while putting my body into ketosis state by reducing my insulin levels meaning I burn fat. This means that the Levothyroxine (T4) which is converted into T3 is utilised as efficiently as possible with added benefit of a metabolic boost (sensitivity) and fat burn (limited muscle loss).

• replacing lunches with Huel reduces sugar spiking (therefore insulin) during the work day meaning I feel more awake, help reduce stomach size (feel less hungry), snack less and feel contently full (also gluten free and vegan…win). It also contains a good dose of zinc, selenium and iodine which all help thyroid function and conversion of T4 to T3 (huel ensures I get an almost daily intake of those). It also ensures that I can get a balanced meal when fasting while ensuring vitamin intake.

• resistance training puts my body into a fat burning zone, gives me a BMR boost and feels good. This all leads to higher muscle mass which also boosts my BMR.

Considering Levothyroxine toxicity (levels in the blood) change with weight and muscle/fat density, it means the combination of these things all adds to a BMR boost, fat management, muscle increase and less spikes in insulin which reduces body weight variation and therefore helps manage any dose changes (which I don’t enjoy with a combination of hyper and hypo side effects).

I have found all this almost minimal effort to maintain which means actual sustained weight loss!!! I also tend not to swing between hypo/hyper meaning most of those side effects have all but gone (and no dose change!).

For the first time I actually feel like I’m in control rather than at the mercy of if I forgot a dose or had a little too much cake/wine.

Thank you huel!!

Tim :slight_smile:

1 Like