So Many Meal Replacements Drinks - But They All Contain Soy?

Sure. Sugar can be addictive. Candy can be addictive. Fast food can be addictive.

But, junk food is not as addictive as drugs.

I’m not trying to start an argument (I promise). But that kind of hyperbole can be harmful to those that suffer from drug addiction. “Hey, giving up heroin is as easy as giving up Big Macs!”

You might be able to point to similar brain functions when it comes to cravings or withdrawal, but the two aren’t really comparable.

@Ric Well, more than a third of US adults are obese:
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Either that’s a LOT of people with glandular problems, or there’s something they can’t stop eating.

Also, regarding sugar addiction:

But just to clarify an earlier point: I never actually explicitly said that I thought junk food should be made illegal as such. I said that it is perfectly legal, and yet they ban other things. I was making a comparison between something legal that is harmful and something else that is banned. I can see how it seemed like I was saying that I thought it should be illegal, but I didn’t quite mean it to that degree.

Clearly, a significant portion of the human race has a severe problem with food. In all honesty, I’m not sure what the answer is. Perhaps making things illegal doesn’t really help, it just turns ordinary people into criminals. But something needs to change somewhere…

I think education is the answer, and making sure the production and marketing of unhealthy products is done responsibly, if at all. But that’s not going to happen. Who wants a population of informed, healthy, independent citizens when you can have ignorant, sick, dependent consumers? Even organisations with good intentions rely on the gullibility of their audience.

Turn off your TVs, educate and heal your mind and body - for-profit businesses certainly won’t do it for you.

1 Like