5 a day shortcut powder

Isn’t that also true of fresh fruits and vegetables? Say I was to buy an orange in a shop, it wouldn’t tell me how much vitamin C is in it for example. Same with a tin of baked beans, which also apparently counts as 1 of your 5-a-day, but there’s no information on the micronutrients in it. Don’t food products only list micronutrients if they’ve been added, e.g. fortified breakfast cereals?

1 Like

@IcyElemental OK, that’s a job I might do when I get time - would be interesting. There’s more info on that link than most, though. But if these brands feel they have so much to offer in the way of micronutrition, why not state the amounts?

@Marcus fruit and veg are grown and sold and the nutritional info for oranges it freely available and the results of 1000s of analyses. And well illustrated with your baked bean analogy - that’s my point above - just eat well.

Yes, if it’s fortified with a nutrient the brand would have to state amounts, but also if they make a claim for a nutrient, which is possibly why they don’t make claims.

One of two reasons I’d suspect. Either they’ve got a lot of fillers in that would make the amounts lower than people would expect, or else they don’t want to run the tests to get an accurate idea of the levels. I bought a couple of the options I found earlier today to give them a shot, though I’m not concerned with the micronutrients as I know I’m already getting them - it’s the phytonutrients which interest me.

Amounts would be interesting - phytonutrients too

Do you think this would work to ensure one get’s their 5 a day?

Complete Greens/Super Greens Powder Pure and Natural

Huel is supposed to be a complete food with no added nutritional components needed…however most people don’t use it as a sole food source.

I’ve been adding this self same product to some of my Huel meals since the beginning of April (since Joe @IcyElemental mentioned it in a thread; as well as taking a vegan vit 3 tablet, cos he seems to know more about nutrition than I ever could).

Despite being touted as unflavoured, it does have a definite taste and aroma: quite herby and probably well suited to savoury Huel, but I use it with my vanilla/unflavoured mix - sometimes with matcha tea, coffee, or raw cocoa and it actually tastes ok with all those flavours, although it is still noticeable. May not be to everyone’s liking…

Thanks. That’s good start :smiley:

Re those complete supergreens, thank for the link. Ludicrously expensive though, sadly. Unaffordable for me.

Meantime, in the absence of affordable powdered viggies, and since I am only able to consume 1200 calories a day max, and usually only consume 900 to 1000, I found this organic carbon based vitamin supplement to compensate for the other 3 Huel servings I’m not having every day :
https://www.biovea.com/uk/product_detail.aspx?PID=3717&deptid=0&cid=0&OS=204&NAME=ORGANIC-LIFE-VITAMINS-30-fl-oz-887ml

Yeah I trialled this too, extremely basil-y aroma and taste, though I haven’t found it too awful to just down 3g in water three times per day. Probably won’t bother with it again though as I have some isolated phytonutrients. I will, however, continue with their Complete Fruits which are fairly pleasant.

I haven’t tried the complete fruits…

It’s a tad bitter (as fruit powders often are) but mixed with a shake it’s quite nice. I also add in MyProtein’s Nutri Purple but that isn’t really necessary

In my experience all the greens powders taste vile and make me gag. But Bulk Powders do a brilliant fruits powder called Complete Fruits. 1 serving is 2 of your 5 a day if I remember correctly and it mixes well with Vanilla Huel when I blend mine.

1 Like