Actual benefits of huel?

You answered your own question. You know the ingredients. It’s just food.

If Huel isn’t for you, that’s fine, but obviously the convenience is useful to many people here, and helps busy people have a nutritionally complete meal they can rely on at a minute’s notice. It is also very easy to count calories, making it a useful weight loss tool.

If you want to find a kind of ‘super food’ then good luck, it doesn’t exist.

1 Like

So no health benefits then ?

8 Likes

Getting the correct amount of carbs protein and fat is generally considered good for your health. So is getting not too much to too little of all the vitamins and minerals. There may be other secondary benefits, such as reduced food prep time and reduced food costs.

Generally the purpose of -lent foods is simply to provide a healthy option for people to replace any number of meals with. The reason so many people say Huel, for example, has so many health benefits, is because of its complete nutritional makeup. Many people are deficient in some micronutrient or another, and by following a -lent diet that provides everything you need, you minimise the risk of such deficiencies (although you don’t eliminate it altogether because RDAs are based on meeting the needs of 97.5% of the population, not 100%). For those who are already receiving at least 100% of their requirements for every nutrient, there are fewer noticeable benefits (though some still exist).

The main benefit aside from micros is, in my opinion, easy monitoring of Caloric intake. Many Huelers and followers of other -lent diets have been able to lose significant amounts of fat, leading to an altogether more healthy life. In my experience (and I haven’t used Huel extensively as I make my own recipes), most -lent diets, especially those low in GI, will keep someone satiated for a decent amount of time. As such, a Calorie deficit on a low GI -lent generally has less cravings that a high GI equivalent. In today’s world, many of the foods we eat on a regular basis are high GI, which can make weight loss more challenging. To the contrary, with a low GI -lent, you’re more likely to stick with the Calorie deficit, and this is what leads to the weight loss.

However, Huel isn’t a weight loss. It has a lot of protein, which means it can also be a powerful tool for muscle growth which can also make you healthier. It’s also very easy for maintenance.

However, assuming you’re already receiving all of your nutrition and are of a healthy weight, the main benefits of any -lent will simply be the convenience factor - they don’t take long at all to prepare, and for their level of convenience and nutritional completeness, the cost is, in my opinion, justified. You can make similar recipes cheaper if you’re willing to use your own recipes, but this takes longer to prepare and, unless you come across a good recipe, they’ll likely not be as tasty as the commercially available options. So overall, no, Huel is not a super fuel - nothing really is (except arguably some potentially lethal cocktails of supplements that make you feel amazing but come with a lot of health risks) - but it can bring about big health improvements to those who aren’t already healthy, and does so in a very convenient and reasonably cheap way.

4 Likes

Thats all well and good, but there is no “correct” amount of protein carbs and fats. There are many different ratios which are used and people are perfectly well and healthy, the missing vitamins and minerals can be popped in a pill alongside your normal food intake and hey presto

What im asking is where if the proof huel is any better for health than me simply eating my normal meals and having a multi vitamin ?

Huel themselves offered a £35k for a year of just huel

What are the results of this so far ?

This is why I’ve made the switch. Vending machines or pre package sandwiches and crisps and chocolate. I was skipping meals as the above were becoming boring. Been on Huel a week and feel fantastic

You want proof that Huel is better for health than eating YOUR normal meals?

Then I want a complete dietary assessment from yourself, a few dozen volunteers and a £15k research grant please.

5 Likes

And I was willing to give the troll the benefit of the doubt. Will I never learn?

3 Likes

See, this is what i mean

Its all in the mind. You think its some great healthy food youre eating now with huel so therefore your mind is telling you that you feel amazing

Youre eating oats, peas and some seeds with a multivitamin. If i was to serve you up a bowl of oats at each meal with a side of peas and some seeds and you physically saw that and ate that. I bet you wouldnt be saying omg i feel amazing

But because of how it is packaged and sold as some health alternative, your mind buys into that and tells you, you feel great

What im asking for is proof of the health benefits, from huel in the form of studies it has carried out

Because i ask for this, the sheep call me a troll

Hilarious

1 Like

Because it has been answered. Yes it is just healthy food. In a convenient format.This is what is in it: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0578/1097/files/Huel_real_food_ingredients_grande.jpg

Yes you could blend it yourself, and some people do, but would likely be more expensive and not as convenient.

So

Im asking for studies and proof of huels health benefits

You tell me that the question has already been answered and show me a picture of huels ingredients

I know the ingredients but have seen 0 studies or proof of any health benefits, so therefore the question hasnt been answered

I want to know if there are any benefits to my health to consume huel, vs consuming normal food and multi vitamin

By that i mean studies and scientific proof

Otherwise the obvious conclusion is that there are no health benefits of huel and i may aswel crack on eating tasty real food

You misunderstand me. I’m telling you MY reason I have moved to Huel. Yes you’re quite correct, I could eat what you tell me is in Huel. But then I wouldn’t be bothered. The fact that it is in an easy to prepare easy to consume drink suits me fine. Healthy? Yes as it’s stopping me from making unhealthy choices. That’s a win.
I’m not going to be bothered to make my own diy Huel so I will pay the price for a company to make it and deliver it to me. Convenient and better for me than processed meats and bad sandwiches.

1 Like

But as you have refused to tell us your current diet how do we know you’ll benefit or not? For all I know you eat the best diet in the world. In that case why are you bothering with Huel?

1 Like

Well there are many studies showing that eating a balanced diet is good for your health. This is just that in a convenient form.

According to your other posts, you have been eating it for a while, so why do YOU do it without the proof you are looking for?

Huel are a small company, and I’m sure they will reveal the results of their year on Huel experiment, but that isn’t a full scientific study. That would literally take millions of pounds that this company clearly doesn’t have. So instead, you have to use your own brain to work out whether this helps you consume healthier food.

If you want to eat ‘real tasty food’, then go on then. No one is stopping you. I will eat real tasty food too - I call it Huel.

1 Like

Sure, there is no “correct” amount because there are many different amounts at which someone can be healthy - but as such, any one of those amounts which promotes health can be considered healthy. The missing vitamins and minerals in the form of a multivitamin actually wouldn’t be everything you need, as multivitamins don’t contain electrolytes or phosphorus. More to the point though, I just had a brief glance at the forms of the micronutrients that are added to Huel, and they are actually slightly superior to the ones found in typical multivitamins. We’re not talking glycinate levels of bioavailability, but certainly better than what is found in pills.

The problem with asking for proof Huel is better is we don’t have quantifiable data on the normal meals you eat, the effect adding a multivitamin to that would have, and the effect just Huel would have. Huel does contain some added phytonutrients (nutrients found in plants that, whilst not essential for human life, are considered beneficial) which you would be missing out on, but it’s simply impossible for any of us to say Huel will be better for you without seeing your dietary intake currently. We can be almost certain that you wouldn’t find your health would deteriorate, but we can’t guarantee it would improve.

I assure you the health benefits of -lents are not entirely in the mind. As I mentioned, I make my own recipes so end out mixing the ingredients that go into it. My final recipe is similar to Huel, with some notable changes (more MCT fats mainly, but also different protein sources and slightly less carbs currently). Despite knowing all of the ingredients that go in, I know my health has improved. This could largely be due to deficiencies I previously had (I need more magnesium than most people, and this was highlighted to me due to my use and making of my own -lents). However, I do know it’s healthier.

With that said though, no, Huel isn’t going to be healthier than if you already have a superb diet. But for the majority of people, it is an improvement. “Results for 2014 showed that 61.7% of adults were overweight or obese (65.3% of men and 58.1% of women)” (https://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/adult_obesity/UK_prevalence_and_trends) - clearly the UK at the very least has a huge problem with people eating too much. Huel can aid that, and can improve the quality of the food those people are intaking. Huel may not lead to an improvement in your health if your diet is already great (though I’d argue if you’re requiring a multivitamin with your food to meet your nutrient requirements, Huel would be better just based on the forms of micros in it). However if you do exhibit symptoms of a deficiency, or are overweight (or underweight for that matter), Huel (and -lents in general) can be a powerful tool for health improvement.

Huel is still working on those studies and I’m sure they will come out in due course. However to satiate your curiosity, they did actually release data from a mini-study already: https://huel.com/pages/one-month-on-huel-trials?utm_content=bufferd0442&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I haven’t read through it so don’t know what the conclusions are, but maybe that will help you.

2 Likes

The topic isnt about huel being easier to prepare or convenience or anything, just health benefits

So you say huel is healthy because its stopping you making unhealthy choices. But the healthier options to processed meat sandwiches have been there the whole time, on the same shelf probably. But you ignored them and chose the junk, so yes huel vs junk sandwich, huel will win of course but so does a non processed sandwhich

Why is the choice always huel vs crap food?

Huel vs good food is what im interested in. Is it any better atall or not

Because if not, then i dont know why im bothering ? I may as well just eat good food which has a wide and varied taste and texture

Im bothering with huel because i bought into the hype on this forum and thought it was like super fuel for my body.

1 Like

You can eat any diet and be fine. As long as its not got processed stuff, refined sugars etc. Inuits eat 90% fat and are fine etc so the ratios arent overly important and the whole balanced thing is over blown

As i said i started huel because i thought it was some super healthy fuel for the body. Now im realising its simply oats peas and rice lol and i am actually no better off than when i was eating my usual meals and having a multivitamin, as there seems to be no actual health benefits of using huel. The consesus is, its better than junk food and its good for saving time.

I threw up in my mouth a little with that last paragraph of yours. What a true sheep, your owners will be pleased

I don’t know why you’re bothering either. Or come to think of it why I’m bothering with you. Don’t use it.
You have a choice as we all do.
Do your own studies. Pick up some decent Tanita scales and a heart rate monitor and tell us what you think we need to know. There is a difference between people being honestly impressed with a product and hype. You need to define what you mean by hype. If something is popular it might just be because it’s good.

1 Like

You’re obviously hurt by “buying into the hype” then finding out it’s just oats and peas. So take what you have left, then move back onto your superior diet that you won’t reveal to us and leave the rest of us who are happy and don’t blindly buy “hype”.

2 Likes