Explosive, watery diarrhoea!

I don’t know what’s going on with Huel lately, but the last few “improvements” to the recipe seem to more and more be playing havoc with my bowels. I have kept a food diary, as I usually have loose stools anyway, but if I have more than 1-2 cups of Huel a day, there is a 100% chance I am waking up at 2AM to piss out my ass for 20-30 minutes.

I have just bought two gluten-free versions, so I will be back to update to see if there’s an improvement. But I do eat other foods with gluten whilst abstaining from Huel and have no issues, so I doubt it’s that.

Huel does have sucralose in the Vanilla version, which could be the cause, since they don’t tell us how much of it there is. Honestly at this stage, I’d rather it was sugar. I can’t stand the vile taste of the unsweetened version, and I feel like the sucralose content must be super high to mask it. Huel team, how much sucralose in 100g of Huel?

Anyone else feel like Huel isn’t compatible for people who doesn’t normally have chronic constipation?

Just answering about Sucralose.

Vanilla flavoured Huel contains only a very tiny amount of sucralose: it’s what we feel is just enough to give Huel a pleasant taste. 100g of Huel contains 27.14mg sucralose which equates to 132.37mg sucralose per 2,000kcal.

Also,

I have IBS. I’ve suffered both from insanely hard stool, very infrequent and also ‘pissing out of my bottom’. What I notice on Huel is that it’s much improved. Granted, when I do 100% I don’t go often. 2-3 times a week at most. When starting Huel going 100% first time I had an unpleasant experience of it not wanting to come out, was very sand-y and painful. Also sweating and feelings of being near fainting. I did go 100% pretty much within a couple of days of being new to Huel though, even when recommend to ease into it. Nah, not me man, know-it-all, ever I’ll-be-fine. Haha.

Have you investigated possible allergies? That could explain it I guess.
Also, for me it’s the sugar. Whenever I eat sugar in fairly large amounts I get the worst runs imagineable.

1 Like

Yeah if you shit 2-3 times a week, it’s no doubt Huel will improve your situation. I’m not transitioning to Huel for the first time, I’ve been taking Huel for over 2 years now.

I’ve had an allergy test before, negative. I just recently had another and a full blood test, awaiting results. I just feel like Huel is the only thing upsetting my stomach now and as a bodybuilder who also works, I don’t have time to prepare and eat 4-6 meals a day. Hence my reliance on Huel.

I might have to start looking at alternatives now, though.