Huel and sedentary lifestyle

Hello

I’m interested in trying out Huel (currently using another powdered food solution, but I like how Huel is actually reviewed and made by nutritionists). What concerns me is that I don’t go to gym or do any exercises much; the only “exercise” I get is commuting via bike. I’d like to combine Huel with solid breakfasts and perhaps solid meals on weekends as a mean for a weight control (I am 186 cm / 108 kg male, aiming for 90 kg… eventually.)

My question regards the nutrition, especially the pretty high protein intake. Is it okay to eat as much protein with such a sedentary lifestyle? Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Hi Anei, welcome to the Huel forum!

The main issue people worry about is the effect of increased protein intake on your kidneys which do a lot of the excretion of protein. However studies have shown that there is no sufficient evidence to support the claims that a significantly increased protein intake in healthy individuals would be detrimental to renal function (Nutr Metab (Lond). 2005; 2: 25). So you don’t need to be worries about an increased protein intake, our bodies are actually really good at dealing with excess nutrients.

You plan sounds great, I still love to eat food and use Huel to replace breakfast and/or lunch, then make myself a tasty and nutritious meal in the evening!

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

1 Like

How far do you commute by bike, out of interest?

I walk 2.5 miles per day at work, on average, so top this up with a 3 mile walk after dinner.

@TimOfficeHuel thanks for the information :slight_smile:

@kjfrazer it’s about 6-7 kilometers (3-4 miles). I planned to walk that distance by foot as well, but it takes just a little too much time (about 2h a day in both directions).

Hi Anei :slight_smile:

I am completely sedentary due to illness (virtually housebound) and I’m also using Huel as a total meal replacement.

I’ve been on it for about 2 weeks now and I haven’t had any issues with it bar some GI changes which could just be due to my own issues not the Huel.

Rhiannon :slight_smile: