Is the macro ratio of Huel ideal?

A high protein version of the already high in protein version?

1 Like

There is no one ideal macro ratio, it varies between individuals. Someone on a large calorie deficit requires more protein in order not to lose a lot of muscle mass, for example.

3 Likes

Will differ according to everyone’s goals and diets.
I would rather have something like 15/20:40/42,5:40/42,5:3 since I am cutting carbs and function much better on high fat / high protein

Can you explain that ratio you’ve posted?

Not being arsey, just never seen it written like that with four components before :slight_smile:

Sorry, my bad.

I meant the macros with a flexible breakdown but with an exact split to give the 100%
Something like the below but without being picky on the percentages

15:43:43:3
20:40:40:3

I actually upgrade my huel with coconut oil, MCT oil and some extra protein (clean grass fed organic whey) in order to reach something similar to the macros above

Ahhhh okay, gotcha! I see now. :smiley:

I’d like to see even more protein. (Although that would make the product more expensive)
We can’t have less fat since one should aim for 0,7g - 1g fat per kg body weight and in that perspective Huel is just about right or maybe too low for some individuals.
For the active human being I’d recommend 2 - 2,3g protein per kg body weight.
(Interesting read: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need/ )
Carbs are the one thing I would change for example when on a diet, but as far as standard Huel is concerned, they should just add to the fats and proteins as many carbs as are needed to reach 2000kcal.

you all are wrong!! : P

trigger warning: if you are allergic/resistant to “alternative medicine” or “conspiracy theories” or “racism”, then better ignore my post. wikipedia labels this as “pseudo science”, but thats just wikipedia’s subjective opinion, and i beg to disagree, with my own subjective opinion. words against words!

huel is optimal for mesomorph bodytypes (william sheldon, WP: Somatotype and constitutional psychology) = elements fire + earth = heart-shape + pear-shape = brain of a son + mother = naturally atheletic = can build muscle / lose fat easily with little workout = politically conservative (mostly repetition, sedentary cultures, dominate in predictable climates with little variation) = hard science (WP: Hard and soft science) (require testable claims) = disagreeable (WP: Big Five personality traits # Agreeableness) (psychotic-open + neurotic-closed) = narcissists/nazis (grandiose + vulnerable) = individualism = results culture (spencer stuart) = transactional leadership = exchange economy (capitalists) = protestants (seek worldly success, testable claims) = typical stress hormones are adrenalin + endorphin (supplement tyrosine or D-phenylalanine) (julia ross - mood cure)

huel has an energy ratio of about CPF 40:30:30 = mass ratio CPF 48:36:16 which is (on average) the recommended ratio for mesomorphs. many sources recommend this ratio, just google: macronutrient ratios mesomorph endomorph ectomorph

what are the other two ratios?

endomorph = energy ratio CPF 25:35:40 = mass ratio CPF 32:45:23 = low carb diet = keto diet = weight loss recipes = high fat diet (good fats!) = element air = brain of a daughter = neurotic and open and agreeable (WP: Big Five personality traits) = naturally fat = hourglass figure = good for (sumo) wrestling = dominates in continental climates (sample: mongolian race with typical roundface) = easy gainer = hard loser = easily builds fat + muscle = when fat can starve for long times (survive hard winters) = low metabolism = typical stress hormone is cortisol (supplement with GABA) (julia ross - mood cure)

ectomorph = energy ratio CPF 55:25:20 = mass ratio CPF 62:28:10 = high carb diet (slow carbs!) = weight gain recipes = low fat diet = element water = brain of a father = psychotic and closed and agreeable (WP: Big Five personality traits) = naturally skinny = “aspargus” figure = good for high jumping = dominates in maritime climates = hard gainer = easy loser = hardly builds fat + muscle = needs constant supply of food = would starve in hard winters = needs mild winters = high metabolism = typical stress hormone is serotonin (supplement with tryptophan) (julia ross - mood cure)

ps, not sorry for necrobumping this thread, this topic is underrated (constitutional nutrition, personalized medicine)

Hey, thanks for your input and thoughts.

I’m not going to go into Sheldon’s ideas around personality, I will stick to the nutrition bit. Unfortunately, there’s little evidence supporting different macronutrient ratios for the 3 body types. This isn’t words against words, this has been empirically disproven otherwise we would see 3 clear, distinct responses to diets that are studied, but we don’t (Source and Source and Source).

Just one more point, not all low carb diets are ketogenic. A macronutrient ratio of 25:35:40 (carbs:protein:fat) is not a ketogenic diet, you can find out more here if you’re interested.

2 Likes

thanks!

one aspect of sheldon types is typical sugar metabolism:

endomorph bodies have a low base metabolism (low energy need) (“fat people are lazy”), so they prefer to convert carbs to stored body fat

this perfectly makes sense, if you live in climates with hard winters, where you must survive several weeks without any food. but this becomes a problem, if you have food every day, and with a “balanced” diet (mesomorph, moderate carbs) you tend to accumulate body fat over the years. one therapy would be fasting in winters (intentional starving), but that requires discipline or peer pressure

ectomorphs have the opposite tendency: high base metabolism (“skinny people are nervous”), prefer to use carbs instantly, prefer to burn body fat/muscles to serve the high glucose need (very active brains), prefer a constant food supply (many small meals)

ectomorphs eating a moderate-carb-diet will have a constant hunger for more carbs. this is my experience with huel, i always crave more carbs, my body is 2/3 meso + 1/3 ecto -morph

one source of confusion are mixed types (like 2/3 endomorph + 1/3 mesomorph) (all in all you get 12 combinations = zodiac signs = again “pseudo science”), which are the result of culture (nurture, environment, education), so what is caused by a combination of discrete values (black/white), in reality appears as a continuous spectrum (all colors are beautiful)

synonymous claims are: “obesity is a genetic predisposition”

Again, I totally understand where you’re coming from as on the face of it, this makes sense.

However, gaining body fat is about consuming calories above the body’s needs, regardless of the source.

The idea of an ancestral diet also falls apart when you dig into it. All humans evolved from the warmer climates of Africa before moving northwards. Metabolism has many factors but the idea that skinny people have a higher metabolism or preference for carbs has been debunked. In fact, it’s the opposite the larger you are the higher your metabolism because the body has more cells and mass to maintain hence the need for a higher calorie intake.

Herman Potzner has some really good work on ancestral diets and how this relates to humans today which might be something you want to read. I will link to a couple of relevant articles of his for you: 1 and 2.

2 Likes

@Dan_Huel @JamesCollier
Hello to both of you,

I want to reduce slightly my carbs consumption which is mid low right now, 30% of my intake, but I dont have in mind to fully reduce it or go full keto. 80% of those carbs are low GI including Huel.

I would like to ask you if you know if there is any scientific benefit in the no ones land of having a low carb diet but not going full keto.

I must admit that this is one of the very few times I feel like I am missing out due to eating Huel-only - because otherwise I would have gotten a bag of popcorn before reading further, since this is how many great posts start :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very true -when the above is the opening line it is always an indicator of something interesting to follow…

I guess my first question is why do you want to reduce your carbs? What’s your goal?

Just improve my nutrition and health on the long term. I work from home and exercise twice per week.

If there is no proven benefit in reducing more my carbs intake I would maintain my current diet.

I don’t think there would be a benefit for you Adrián. As the majority of your carbs sound like they’re from good sources e.g. wholemeal and oats then I would suggest there’s no benefit reducing your carbs further unless you enjoy cooking and eating lower carb foods more.

1 Like