Carbohydrate

I notice that the meal replacement is rather carbohydrate heavy and quite high in calories for one meal. I follow a vegan diet and have been told by my nutritionist to cut down on carbs as veggie and vegan diets can be very carbohydrate based. Just wondering what those who use this products experience is? and have you managed to lose weight using this product? Thank you :slight_smile:

Huel is about 37% carbs, but they are low GI non-sugar based carbs. This is actually lower than many other foods, and is a good ratio. If we don’t get enough carbs, the body breaks down protein to stabilise blood sugar levels.

Plenty of people have managed to lose weight using Huel as you will see throughout the forum. It is not designed as a weight loss meal though.

I have followed a vegan diet for 30 years next year, and I think Huel is a great vegan product.

3 Likes

The principle macronutrients that we obtain energy from food are carbohydrates, fats, proteins and fibre, and in Huel we’ve set them at the ratio of 37:30:30:3 respectively; i.e. 37% of the energy comes from carbohydrates, 30% from fats, 30% from proteins and 3% from fibre.

Amino acids are the most basic units of protein, and several amino acids are essential for life, with others being crucial for good health, so any diet has to contain a significant amount of protein. There are also fatty acids that are essential for life and good health, so including sources of fat is crucial too. Carbohydrates, however, are not essential per se, but they do have significant benefits to sustaining even energy levels and are significantly cheaper, helping to make Huel more affordable.

We’ve designed Huel at these ratios as they are not only within the parameters of the healthy eating guidelines but are also levels designed for optimum, sustained energy release whilst covering macronutritional requirements for disease prevention. Fats are more energy dense than proteins or carbs, so including them at 30% means there’s less powder and bulk, making Huel easier to consume to meet your energy requirements.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply Hunzas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much Julian for taking the time to reply to my question. :pray:

3 Likes

The beauty of Huel, is that you can make a menu of any size that you like :wink: Just measure out a different amount, and you will have less calories to consume :wink:

I often blend a zucchini up with my Huel, which adds a lot of bulk to the meal, yet is very low in calories. A plain Huel meal (whole shaker filled) is about 400 kcal for me, but with a zuchini thrown in, that drops to about 250 kcal as the zucchini fills out the shake without adding many calories. Sometimes I offset the zucchini taste with some toffee flavouring. It doesn’t taste as good as Huel alone, but it lets me get some greens and fills me up better despite being very low calories.

1 Like