Query from a newbie

Hello all, new user to Huel and also new to counting my calories on My Fitness Pal. As someone who is relatively new to all this and only do light exercise should I be overly worried about by Protein vs Carbs intake or just focus on my total calories?

For example 2 Huel shakes today has taken my total Protein goal for the day, my dinner will likely consist of both carbs and protein but will take me over my goal.

I’m just trying to lose some weight so I guess I should be more focussed on calorie totals initially? Sorry If the answer is very obvious or I’ve answered it myself. Thank you,

Callum

Dan just posted two new Huel articles that may help you - scroll down a bit to this and this

1 Like

If your goal is losing weight, you can absolutely do that on a diet that consists largely of regular Huel. The carb content is not a barrier to that.

However, having heavier carb or heavier protein elements of your diet can benefit you depending on what kind of exercise you do. If, for example, you are doing a lot of endurance exercise, carb loading is really important to get the best out of your sessions.

My advice would be to not worry about it all at once. Just stick with lowering your overall calorie intake (which is no small task and requires a fair bit of adjustment in order to do it in a meaningful way). Once you feel you’ve got some decent results you may find yourself at a plateau. Then it’s time to consider looking into things in more detail.

I am, by no means an expert. There may be people who offer other advice, but what I am saying is what I’ve always found to be good for me.

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing me to this Phil, that’s a useful read

Thank you. That’s helpful to back up my initial thoughts that really all I should worry about is eating cleaner with Huel and focus on my calorie goal. I know trying to do too much at once isn’t sustainable and finding Huel so useful to replace breakfast, lunch or sometimes both to control my calorie deficit as lunch would usually be when I’d buy something quick and full of calories from the shops

Sounds like you’ve made a healthy change. I’d just keep that going for a while and see where it leads you.

1 Like

Another Newb to Huel question on the back of this conversation and the Nutrition and Exercise Video @Dan_Huel posted to the Instagram account. Being a heathen I haven’t got an Instagram account so can’t reply directly to the video.
My health has been really poor this year and I have put on weight and gone from training for the Invictus Games to struggling to walk for a few miles without multiple rests. That is in hand and is being medically sorted.
I have just started using Huel Black primarily for weight loss at the moment and will next week start to back it up with an hot Huel meal of the day.

Question I have is (I got to it eventually) Once I get the green light to start exercising (slowly) and start building myself up again will be around Carbohydrates and which Huel to use. I will be primarily focusing on Cardio with some strength training and a lot of stretching to assist. Should I look at taking Normal Huel post Cardio workout or even pre workout? as it has increased Carbs? Using Huel Black post Strength workout?
At what point with Cardio/ Strength training is Huel Black or Huel 3.0 more advantageous to use?

I haven’t been able to find the answer within these forums…Maybe I am just using wrong key words

Many thanks in advance and have a great weekend everyone

regards

Kibs

Hey Kibs,

It looks a bit like you’re slightly conflating Huel with protein powder if you don’t mind my saying so.

I treat Huel as food, so basically normal food intake, and will then use gels mid cardio and protein shake post training.

It’s a nuanced distinction I appreciate, but an important one. Huel being a complete meal I personally don’t think it’s really the best tool for training powders.

Many will probably now shout me down heh, but thought it worth giving my thoughts!

I’m here asking for advice, by those who have been having huel for sometime and are used to using the range as a part of their diet and lifestyle. So everything is appreciated :wink: The question for you then would still apply just a slight variation. Knowing you had a cardio session later on, would you use Huel 3.0 or Huel Black as your normal meal? I’m wondering how much the Carb difference between the two effects peoples training I guess :thinking:

Personally I only use Huel Black, bars and hot&savoury (which is outstanding by the way - think nutritionally balanced pot noodle in terms of prep time/effort).

I do intermittent fasting, so a very small workout first thing (pressups, sit-ups, 5km on exercise bike) and then don’t eat until 12:30 - when I have my breakfast (at the time most are having lunch) I have either a 3 scoop Huel black or a 2 scoop + bar = 600 calories. I do this regardless of exercise but I’ll often take a gel during cardio just to give me a bit of get up and go, and of course loads and loads of water - I hate water on its own so I hunted down a bunch of different 0 cal syrup/squash things and fill my water bottle with that.

Also keep about 8 litres of water chilling in the fridge at all times, it’s so much more refreshing than ambient temperature.

1 Like

Unless you’re a professional athlete having a competition soon it won’t make any difference. I haven’t noticed any performance differences as a function of slight variations in the macronutrient split. And don’t forget that the regular Huel is still very high in protein and relatively low in carbs - at least if you compare it to the other meal replacement brands on the market.

I recommend making your choice based on individual preferences about available flavours, taste, texture. If you don’t feel good about it you won’t stick to it. Use whatever product works best for you personally. This is different for different people.

As talort mentioned water is important too…interestingly I find it easier to drink more of it if it is warm/lukewarm. So you may have to determine your individual preferences here, too.

4 Likes

Hey Kibs, welcome to Huel! No problem, I’d echo what others have said and pick which ever you prefer. Personally, I would have v3.0 as I like the addition of oats.

Both v3.0 and Black Edition are high in protein and more than enough to aid muscle growth as well as fuelling you for upcoming exercise. From a nutrition point of view it depends what else you’re eating for the rest of the day. For example, if you have a protein goal to hit and are finding it difficult then I’d recommend Black Edition.

Unless you’re a top level athlete I wouldn’t place a huge amount of concern on which will be better for your performance.

2 Likes

@mbs @Talort and of course Dan. Many thanks for your answers on this one. I guess I will just find the ones I like best. Hoping to be back exercising by Easter, albeit at a very slow pace to start with. So will see how it all goes from there. Reassuring to know that either Huel will be a good fit for Carb levels. Look after yourselves out there

2 Likes

Heh! I keep the first mouthful in my mouth to bring it up to temperature before swallowing but after that I’m all about the chilled stuff!

Go for Black Edition chocolate and add a spoon of instant coffee - the very best breakfast!

Come to the dark side…! Lol

1 Like

Mocha time :slight_smile: Wife has berated me for not purchasing the chocolate in my first order pack…

1 Like

Your wife is wise beyond her years :joy:

To be fair, women are basically always right. It’s like their job or something.

3 Likes

I just have this mental block that chocolate should not be breakfast!! my wife has always strongly disagreed with that chain of thought :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Oh really? I thought that was men?