Leaving Huel

Just wanted to say I will no longer be purchasing Huel, the reason for this is the non-GMO advertising, I don’t think this is fitting for a company that has previously appeared to be a scientifically literate and conscious company.

I wanted to post this in order to give some feedback. Thanks.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Hi, I’m aware of that but it’s still scaremongering to sell more product, and that is simply immoral.

5 Likes

Sorry but could you explain what the problem is here because I’m not following.

4 Likes

Miss you already.

4 Likes

GMOs are safe and largely highly beneficial. There is a trend among scientifically illiterate people to demonize them. Many companies are capitalising on this by labeling their products as GMO free when it should not be a marketing point.

4 Likes

I think more people would leave Huel if it was advertised as including GMO, you certainly can’t please all of the folk all of the time. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

GMO is never used as a selling point though. I agree with @theajmsn that marketing Huel as GMO Free, when there is nothing wrong with GMOs and they are a valuable tool in reducing waste and making agriculture more sustainable, is deeply cynical.

To use an extreme analogy, it’s like marketing Huel as Not Made By Muslims because coincidentally there are no Muslims making it. Sure it’s accurate but it’s scummy as hell.

4 Likes

Bacon is back on the menu if you prefer…

Are the Muslims not making it GMO Muslims - either intentionally or coincidentally? I think we need to know. In fact I am not buying Huel until I get a satisfactory answer from the team about it. Furthermore, I’ve just kicked my TV screen in and written to the Daily Mail.

Only if it is GMO

1 Like

@theajmsn, you’re right that a scientifically literate company like Huel should be fighting against anti-GMO scaremongering, you’re wrong to come on here and say “I quit Huel ha!” because you won’t win anyone over and it doesn’t help start the kind of real conversation you want us/Huel to have about GMOs etc

5 Likes

Halal I heard

I don’t care, I wasn’t here to start a discussion, I’m just giving feedback, which is exactly what the forum is for

I’ve never noticed Huel using non GMO as part of their advertising. I have to agree with you OP. Disappointing Huel are capitalising on the GMO scaremongering just because “it’s important to some”. GMO only speeds up a process that has been occurring for probably the entirety of human civilisation. I see Huel have been quoted above mentioning GMO practices - that is an issue of human greed, not any problem with the GMO crops themselves. Shouldn’t be used to sell the product!

2 Likes

Definitely part of the marketing message in the states…
https://twitter.com/huelusa/status/962009302528614400

It is with Soylent, successfully so. There’s an interesting write up on why over here

3 Likes

I wasn’t actually aware of that, looks like I’m switching to Soylent! :grin: Thanks

Let us know how soylent is, I’m actually interested to see the comparison.

1 Like

I made an account just to say how much I agree with this. Huel’s marketing strategy regarding being non-GMO and soy-free is comparable to capitalising on anti-vaxxers and their beliefs to sell them something.

I eat Huel for breakfast every single day but I’ve met plenty of people online who completely trash some other complete foods just because they use soy and Huel’s marketing has fuelled it.

1 Like

Just out of interest, why do some people see soy as negative?

I’m very pro-GMO (and, funnily enough pro-vaxx) and I understand the sentiment the OP and yourself have described. I’m also slightly uncomfortable that Huel has decided to reward ignorance around GMO to market their product, but I think Huel are great in so many other ways that this is just one D- on an otherwise straight-A school report.