GMO & Organic

Hi does anyone know if the ingredients are oganic and GMO free please? Thanks :slight_smile:

GMO free - yes
organic - no

Having said that, why would want Huel to be GMO-free anyway? GMOs are perfectly safe.

Check this meta-analysis of 1,700+ studies http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/07388551.2013.823595?scroll=top&needAccess=true

Furthermore, there’s no evidence that organic food is necessarily better for you - or the environment.

10 Likes

Thank you that is very helpful. I have an auto immune illness and told by many professionals to stick with organic :grinning: so I try to stick with organic whereever possible :grinning:

It’s not just about health of the individuel eating it but also a conversation about the health of the planet and it’s population in general. Considering farmlands with ginormous monocultures of GMO plantages, farmers being driven to the same GMO crops - prices being pushed to the bottom.

Why is the monoculture problem related to GMOs? I agree it’s a big problem, but I don’t think the crop being non-GMO makes things any better.

4 Likes

Thank you for your comments Bert_Villa :slight_smile:

GMO crops tend to be more resilient, so you get higher yields than you would with non-GMO, and thus less land is needed to grow the same amount of food. Which is better for the environment. So if you’re bothered about the health of the planet you should be pro-GMO, not anti.

10 Likes

Thanks for the responses, I love coming on here and seeing my job is done!

A little more about Huel being non-GMO. This is something that is more coincidental. We are not anti-GMO at all and recognise that, like with most things, there are good practices and bad practices. If we can make crops drought resistant by genetically modifying them then that is amazing. However, if we are modifying seeds to render them useless after a year to keep demand high, that is clearly a terrible and wasteful practice.

Huel is not organic simply because the price we would need to make organic Huel would be extremely restrictive. We already have potential customers put off by the price of Huel now (ÂŁ1.61 per 500kcal meal, not expensive by any stretch of the imagination). Look at ambronite which costs in excess of ÂŁ6 per 500kcal meal.

Hope that helps you out, @Babs

6 Likes

Why would I want Huel to be GMO free?!?!?! You sir have been living under a rock. Don’t give me this Monsanta line of lies and deceit. if you’re eating GMO, you’re eating poison. If you’re not eating organic. You’re eating pesticides, (Glyphosate) which is known to cause cancer, and all kinds of other ailments. In other words poison.

1 Like
  1. Are you saying that all non-organic crops contain Glyphosate? That’s simply not true.

2. Are you saying that organic crops don’t allow for pesticide use? That’s not true either. Organic agriculture only permits natural pesticides, which are often less effective https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

3. In any case, the Joint FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticide Residues concluded that “glyphosate is unlikely to pose a carcinogenic risk to humans from exposure through the diet”, even at doses as high as 2,000 mg/kg body weight orally" http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/agphome/documents/Pests_Pesticides/JMPR/2016_JMPR_Summary_Special.pdf

EDIT: in any case, regardless of your stance on GMOs, Huel doesn’t contain any :slight_smile: Do you eat exclusively organic? If so, why? Huel is an amazing product, and if the only reason you might not want it is because it’s not 100% organic, I’d encourage you to reconsider your position.

3 Likes

You should really watch this lecture: https://vimeo.com/56745320

It’s from a previously very anti-GMO campaigner who researched the topic thoroughly and changed his mind. The first ~35 minutes are the lecture itself, which talks mainly about GMOs but also touches on the topic of harm coming from organic products, and the rest is a Q&A (which I didn’t find to be too interesting but if you enjoy the first 35 minutes it’s probably worth a watch).

Significantly more deaths have been attributed to organic foods over the years than GMO foods - GMOs really aren’t harmful at all in the vast majority of cases - the idea they are bad for you simply isn’t backed up by facts.

3 Likes

I never said all non-organics contain glyphosate. I use the word pesticides. With an S. If you’re not eating organic, you’re rolling the dice on what poisons you’re body is consuming. Drinking a processed cocktail of all sorts of non organic ingredients is even more of a gamble.

The only reason I mention GMO’s because of the comment before me proposed the question of GMO’s, and why would one not want to eat them.

If you want to believe glyphosate doesn’t cause cancer because of the FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticides, go for it. Not I sir. There’s far too much credible information online that speaks to glyphosate being absolutely nothing you want to consume.

Can you claim that Huel doesn’t contain anything sprayed with Glyphosate?

Can you tell me what pesticides have been sprayed on the ingredients that makes up Huel?

Can you claim that drinking yet another processed product like Huel is more nutritious and better for your health than consuming organic Whole Foods?

1 Like

[quote=“John_Cash, post:12, topic:4368, full:true”]
I never said all non-organics contain glyphosate. I use the word pesticides. With an S. If you’re not eating organic, you’re rolling the dice on what poisons you’re body is consuming. Drinking a processed cocktail of all sorts of non organic ingredients is even more of a gamble. [/quote]

Organic does not mean “pesticide-free” or “chemical-free”. There’s a great list of pesticides, fungicides and herbicides that organic farmers can use - they’re just derived from natural sources instead of synthetically manufactured. These “natural” chemicals are every bit as dangerous/carcinogenic as their synthetic cousins, some even more so.

Take rotenone as one example. An organic pesticide that kills by attacking mitochondria (the energy powerhouses of all living cells) and is is extremely toxic. Research has shown it to cause parkinson’s like effects in rats and that it’s extremely deadly to fish and other aquatic life.

I’m all for informed choice, but if you choose organic because you think it’s ‘cleaner’ than none-organic foods, you’re largely wrong. The fact is that it’s not better for the environment, doesn’t contain more nutrients than non-organic and absolutely uses just as many pesticides.

4 Likes

“If you want to believe glyphosate doesn’t cause cancer because of the FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticides, go for it. Not I sir. There’s far too much credible information online that speaks to glyphosate being absolutely nothing you want to consume.”

What ‘credible information online’ are you referring to?

1 Like

Hi @TimOfficeHuel, so the price argument against an organic version of Huel turns up in your FAQ too… I don’t know much about where the costs come in processed food so I’d love to have a little more detail on this: organic seems mostly to be around 10-20% more expensive in retail (particularly stuff like oats or flax, though peas are worse), and I thought only 95% of a processed food product needs to be organic for it to get certified. So cost of ingredients doesn’t seem to justify the 300% markup you imply by pointing at Ambronite. You’ve also managed to leap the chasm from making one product to making a few variants.

Is certification that expensive? Would you need a separate production facility?

3 Likes

Do you follow Food Babe or David Wolfe by any chance?

3 Likes

I’m afraid we haven’t explored the costs extensively. The reference to Ambronite was simply an example of a product of a similar concept but organic instead. I believe they have dropped their prices slightly now, but they are still more expensive.

Part of our mission is to create nutritionally complete, universally affordable food. By creating an organic version, although it may not be 300% increase, it would be significantly more expensive. Our goal is to reduce the cost of Huel, not increase it. We did release gluten free Huel due to popular demand, so we would never say no to ever producing an organic version.

I am not sure on costs, but they would be significant. There are so many elements that would need to be considered.

Can you educate me a little more on organic produce. If the ingredient isn’t completely an ‘organism’ per se. Like a synthetic flavouring/vitamin etc, can it be included in an organic product? Please excuse my ignorance.

2 Likes

They seem to do that in the states.

Honestly, so many people think organic means the food is pesticide free and not ‘messed with’, but it’s far from. These days the only truly organic produce is that which you grow yourself.

I don’t think many care about an “organic” source of micronutrients. What matters is that the original plant sources, the oats, flax, soy, psyllium etc., are purchased from “certified organic” producers: those who are registered (with whatever agency does that in the UK) as having produced the crop without use of pesticides. This would, likely, raise costs to you as such producers are fewer in number.

You may possibly be thinking about the label “vegan” which means, nothing sourced at any remove from animals. This can affect the micronutrients, specifically Vitamin D is most economically sourced from lanolin, from sheep’s wool, and the presence of lanolin-derived D3 forecloses use of a “vegan” label.

Organic does not mean no pesticides are used in its production. It means certain pesticides must not be used, but there are still pesticides that are absolutely fine to use on organic-certified produce.

3 Likes