Recyclable packaging

I like the packaging. It works very well and looks sexy.

1 Like

What about tins? They are robust and widely recyclable. They are tried and tested too: Look at baby formula! (The experience of making huel already resembles that of baby formula, so we might as well… :baby:)

Downside: They are bulkier to stock, so you’d need a bigger factory. This would mean massively changing the current production line too. But if Huel is to be scaled up, maybe this is the next thing you want to look into. I look forward to seeing Huel in supermarkets!

1 Like

Actually, that’s not a bad idea at all! Tins are also reusable for lots of things (storage, lanterns, stoves, growing plants, just to name a few) before you need to recycle them. Tins come in many sizes for paints and powders - there could already be one the right size. And they could also look cool with the Huel logo.

I actually store my Huel in a large resealable coffee can (commercial size holds an entire bag). It’s ideal - it keeps light out and is air-tight.
The only issue I can think of is transportation - tins / cans are heavier (significantly so when transporting thousands, but even significantly heavy enough that it might cause issues with DPD aswell for smaller local deliveries).
As well as the weight issue, cans take up space. Square ones would resolve this issue to some extent as they could be stacked more efficiently, but they still take up more space than bags.

When thinking of environmental impact, you need to consider the full picture. Although cans can be recycled, if they have a larger carbon footprint to make, fill, seal, and transport, it would cancel out any benefit of being able to recycle the end product.
I don’t know for sure that transporting cans would have a larger carbon footprint but I’m guessing it would…

3 Likes

huel%20bag%203

et voila :slight_smile:

huel%20bag%204

support by a cardboard box, who knows. just brain storming…
[/quote]

My God, Tony Hart has come back from the dead to haunt us!

:laughing:

1 Like

I think we’re having two separate conversations about the same thing! See my comments on tin cans here.

2 Likes

Fair enough!

Try to take a plane with that eco friendly bag.

Hahahaha

1 Like

This manufacturer of similar style, but not meal replacement product is moving towards plastic free packaging.

Their new distribution centre is less than a mile from my house ( and my locale features in the opening shot of their promotional video).

weird that they would want to base themselves on a rocky outcrop in the middle of nowhere, but there you go.

I’ve never actually tried their products…cos they wouldn’t let me pick some up even though it is 5 minutes walk away,.[I mean I was gonna pay for it not expect a freebie…but ho hum.]and they don’t come in 1.75kg bags either, but fair play to them for addressing the issue.

Nice one hunzas good to read there addressing the problem even the scoop,

But what about the scoops?

Before our move towards home compostable packaging could be completed there was one last thing we had to address.

If you’ve placed an order recently you may have already noticed that we now no longer include plastic scoops inside the pouch. This was the last bit of plastic we had left in our business and decided that the most effective solution was to remove them entirely.

Within the next few weeks we will be offering a re-usable bamboo scoop on our website which you can buy once and use forever. We’ll also plant a tree for every scoop sold on our website.

2 Likes

Oooooo bamboo scoops

1 Like

All sounds good. What happens to our current scoops if we bought a bamboo one? Are they recyclable?

1 Like

I was checking one of my kitchen drawers the other day and I had over a dozen scoops of various sizes from protein powders and the like…and ive disposed of or broken many more.

Interestingly i found a scoop that holds 50g of Huel…and i tested it numerous times with my scales…and 2 level scoops came to within a gram or 2 of 100g each time. Just right.

2 Likes

Like you @hunzas I am finding, and using, scoops I have had for years.

2 Likes

I would have thought @hunzas would have more spoons in his kitchen than scoops

2 Likes

I was thinking that he would have more knives than spoons.

5 Likes

Bamboo scoops actually sound pretty good

@Tim_Huel How come Vivo manages to use compostable packaging ? Their powder also contains nutrients. I’m not sure about the shelf life of the product though…

It doesn’t look like they’re using that packaging yet. Their website doesn’t mention it anywhere.

I wonder if they hit a snag since they did that Kickstarter. They must have thought it was viable so hopefully they figure it out, and other companies join in.

Yeah I couldn’t find the info on their website either, but I came across the info from this video: https://youtu.be/MFwOKPp8NRQ?t=377