What is the top nutritional concern about using as 100% diet

I guess this is probebly aimed at james@Huel.

Background
I have just placed my order and plan to start the diet on a 30 day 100% trial.

Question One
What are your top current nutrition/dietary concerns about using Huel as a 100%diet

Having read quite a lot in the forums I have picked up on a few things such as the “potential liquid diet” issues and "sodium tweaking. I am not convinced these are an issue either so no need to clarify/focus.

Question Two
Based on following this as near 100% diet what would your top five recommended supplements be? (e.g. an apple a day, bit of chicken, EPA/DHA, Multivitamin etc…

Side note
Having previously taken a startup to market I greatly apreciate the honesty, openess and integrity of Huel especially within this forum. Especially as this is kind of a big experiment. This is quite an unusual trait for a business and proves that the people running the business really believe. This in itself is a USP and will go far in creating success.

This paper suggests lutein and zeaxanthin may be needed for long-term eye health:

Hi @rfirmstone

Hope you enjoy :smile:

I wouldn’t go straight into 100% Huel - many people who do this find they do get very hungry. I’d easy in over 7-10 days: ie, 1 shake per day for 2-3 days, 2 for 2-3 days, 3 and finally totally.

I have no concerns about a 100% Huel diet. The only issue people may have is that they enjoy solid food: I’m one of these people myself!

If you’re nearly doing 100% Huel, then my suggestion would be a small balanced, varied meal with different food choices each day: a protein source and a veg and maybe a starchy carb and fruit. However, this is only if you feel you want some solid.

Any other questions, let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to hear more about lutein and zeaxanthin. Considering my grandfather is totally blind due to ARMD I was interested to read the above. What are good sources of lutein and zeaxanthin?

I’m not James so not an expert or knowledgeable at all Sanovine, but from the website:

“Lutein from the flaxseed powder is a carotenoid. Although not essential, there is concern that diets low in lutein may lead to macular degeneration of the eye in the elderly as lutein is involved in eye pigment development.***”

I believe Zeaxanthin is also in flaxseed, but again I may be wrong.

I believe there’s only 0.37mg of lutein and zeaxanthin per the flaxseed in 2000kcal of Huel. My hope is in the future it will be added in higher amounts.

Ok, but what does that mean? Are there any recommendations? 0.37 mg might be far too little or far too much, if we don’t have any references. Anyone have any numbers on that?

I’ve been doing 100% Huel since 1st December. I’m sleeping better than I have done in years, I have more energy for work and working out, I don’t have cravings for junk food any more, an acne problem I’d had for years is finally starting to clear up and - TMI caution up ahead - my bowel habits are glorious. No issues here. I plan on doing 100% Huel for a full year, if not longer.

1 Like

How about MSM (very little is said about this essential mineral)? More plant antioxidants? Extra fibre for those that need it? Turmeric, Ginger and (possibly) Garlic for their healing and chemo protective properties? Matcha tea, yerba mate or green tea drunk to increase antioxidants. Maybe 2 cups of hibiscus tea a day too if you feel like it as that’s a very powerful antioxidant. maybe supplemental linseed oil. Multivitamins yes.

1 Like

My bowel habits are glorious THAT! That made me laugh :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve taken on board feedback from this and other threads and am looking at changes in future tweaks to Huel.

1 Like

Another possibility for someone to supplement with would be FOS. (Fructo-oligosaccharides) I get it from Nature’s Best as a product called “Flourishe”. Its a sweet and slightly sticky crystalline powder that’s a bit like sugar but isn’t a sugar. Its a fibre that feeds your friendly bacteria. I take 1 - 2 teaspoons a day to help with digestive transit and to keep candida under control.

Great to hear you’re responsive to concerns! The Huel team keeps impressing me with their thoughtfulness and openness to feedback.

And thanks, @Power, for providing the data.

1 Like

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/candida-and-fake-illnesses/

1 Like

Zoltan, that article is pure pseudo-science that is masquerading as a debunking of pseudo-science. DON’T trust it. It is pure lies. My history of chronic fatigue and candida demonstrates it. Don’t believe it.

Not to derail the thread, but your history of chronic fatigue and candida doesn’t demonstrate anything. Double-blind controlled scientific studies demonstrate things. There are way too many variables in anecdotal evidence to make them able to demonstrate something with any reasonable degree of trustworthyness.

Though I’m not sure what candida has to do with the thread topic?

1 Like