2.1 U/U not mixing well, at all...help :(

There are supplies of 1.2 available @RDW though not much, I think the few who really enjoy the thin consistancy,me included, are panic buying as stock will probably be depleted, according to the Huel team, by Xmas or just after. If you go to the all products page you will find it there.It’s a little cheaper too.

Yes we mixed it up in the office and compared to vanilla and they are very similar.

Also we spoken with our production facility and they said…

Batch 2567 was made with full traceability and I can confirm that it was made correctly to version v2.1 recipe.

I can confirm Quality Control organoleptic evaluation took place for this batch and passed.

The good news is that we are work a new gum blend, which is “lighter” and uses just xanthan gum and arabic gum. Hopefully this will be available before Christmas.

3 Likes

That’s amazing news! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Julian this sounds like the best news since v1.2 came out!

Id like to see where all these people who voted it is just right are now? From what I can see it the same 2 people saying its fine, and more and more different people saying it is too thick.

Not to mention your survey said WAS Huel… so people would have been referring to the previous version when they voted, as is v1.2.

v1.2 WAS fine, current one isnt.

1 Like

I think I may have a clue to the inconsistency some have experienced. I started a new bag of 2.1 somewhere around the start of last week and it was OK. However due to a trip I had to make up 8 lots of 102g with 500cc of water in one go. There was a noticeable difference between pot one and pot 8. With Pot 1 being thick but pot 8 almost setting - you could tip the pot sideways and the Huel rolled like concrete. Given that I put the contents of the bag into a Tupperware style breakfast cereal container, that means the thicker mix was actually higher in the original bag - could this be a “settling out” problem i.e. particles of the thickener making their way to the top of the bag during mixing/transport. Started a new bag this morning and it’s back to normal.

Having found out about the back supply of 1.2 I’ve ordered 8 bags of that so I’ll be back of 2.1 for a while after the end of this week. But I’ll report back if the current bag gets thicker toward the end (beginning).

Interesting, I suspected this and took a whisk to my bag to mix/break up as soon as I opened it. No difference.

Incidentally, a few guys in the office use Huel (both UU and V) all use a blender on 2.1 due to the lumps. @Julian we’re all based in Glasgow…would the water supply make a difference? Scottish water doesn’t contain the same amount of hard minerals as the rest of the UK. Just a random thought.

The 2 surveys, in my opinion, we’re both confusing and not really clear.
Consumers probably didn’t realise, that different batch numbers resulted in different consistencies and textures, when Huel was mixed.
I noticed the difference when the sodium was added and when it was taken away. Same with the thickener.
It did mix totally different.
I don’t like it, but I kinda need the Huel in my life…so, i grin and bear it.
It is good to see everyone at Huel are constantly working to make us happy.
Keep up the good work Huel

1 Like

@Julian Do you have any new information about progress in developing this lighter mix (or a mix without Carrageenan)?

@rikefrejut yes we are working on it, but these things are never quick, and will be slower the bigger we get. My guess would be the change would be live in Q1 2017.

1 Like

Very much looking forward to it.

Was the original water to powder ratios based on nutritional recommendations and on how much water is recommended as a daily intake(and if so based on what source?), or were they just guesstimated somehow? Is 3000mil a level of water consumption at a TDEE of 2k calories a deliberate choice?

Please let us know when the changes have been implemented. Thanks.

1 Like

We are still testing. The original thickness levels of vanilla Huel were based on mouth feel. In general people wanted something thick, lots of people said they didn’t want it “watery like a protein shake”.

@Julian 75 grams of old recipe UU with about 30-40 grams of new recipe is exactly right. Smooth, doesn’t settle out and easy to drink immediately or great in about an hour…

Until today, all Huel UU 2.1 I had tried had been very lumpy, as in uncapping the shaker, turning it upside down and nothing coming out for the first 3 or 4 seconds, when the thick mixture starts pouring out very slowly with large lumps of undissolved powder. This has happened with many different bags. This also happened this morning while finishing a bag with batch number 2637. Taste and everything else was good.

But today for lunch I opened the next bag (UU 2.1, batch number 2638) and it mixed gloriously, like Vanilla Huel, with which I’ve never had a problem. It poured quick! Taste is still good. I happen to enjoy UU neutral flavour. My only complain until now was the lumpiness and thickness, which it seems it’s been resolved since batch 2638.

I was careful to use the same amount of cold water (400 ml), the same amount of powder (125 g), the same shaker and the same shaking energy than in the past, so the only changing variable was the powder batch.

For whoever is experiencing this, what are your batch numbers?

TLDR: UU 2.1 batch 2637 Lumpy, batch 2638 Glorious.

Promising. Maybe the new emulsifier mix has been established and rolled out? @TimOfficeHuel, any word on this, or is the recipe unchanged?

2.1 UU is pretty poor, I have to add nearly a litre of liquid to use a mix recommended for 500ml and it tastes like boiled arse. Now 1.2 is no longer available …

I’ve also been having problems with mixing. Recently it’s been like drinking lumpy thin porridge. However, today I tried using a Horlicks mixer - just the metal part - and it worked brilliantly. Not sure if anyone makes these any more, but they can often be picked up in UK charity shops.