I first decided to try Huel in January because I was fed up of eating terribly at lunch times and fed up of having to make sandwiches for work every evening. I would have a sandwich with some cold meat full of saturated fat and that was pretty much it. Not very nutritious hey?
I am completely and utterly 100% new to powdered foods. So here are some observations, tips and experiences from the last 5 months.
1. I mix 3 scoops of Huel with 500ml of water which keeps me full / ‘satisfied’ for about 2 hours
2. I found pure vanilla flavour to be too sweet and unnatural - I now mix 1 vanilla and 2 unflavoured - perfect
3. To make my Huel more interesting I add a tea spoonful of instant coffee for a kick at lunch or a tea spoon of cinnamon - I like these options because they’re healthy and pure - do you have any more suggestions?
4. The bags are a pain to keep closed - I haven’t tried the new ones yet but I will do when I order next
5. No matter how hard you try, Huel will leave a powdery mess behind, but I don’t make as much mess as I used to
6. Shake your bag of Huel now and again to ‘fluff’ it up to stop it condensing at the bottom of the bag and causing lumps
7. I have Huel to replace my lunch time meals. I eat ‘normal’ meals for breakfast and supper
8. I have lost 20lb / 9kg since January 2016 with Huel - I now have a healthy BMI of 24
9. I make my Huel the night before and store it in the fridge during summer which is refreshing
10. I was knocked off my motorbike and one of the casualties was my Huel shaker (you should have seen the Huel mess all over the road - quite funny). Luckily the guys at Huel were really helpful and sent me another shaker free of charge - thanks!
11. To reduce lumps, add 1.5 scoops to 500ml water, shake it vigorously for 10 seconds, add 1.5 more scoops and shake again. Just before you drink it, shake it gently.
12. Huel has more body and flavour when left overnight compared to ‘freshly’ made
13. Huel seperates and looks disgusting when left standing overnight - don’t be put off and give it a shake, it soon looks ‘normal’ again
14. My stomach cramps and wind after meals is better, but not completely gone using Huel - I put this down mainly to the fact I’m ‘drinking’ rather than eating solid food as opposed to Huel’s ingredients
15. My family hate the taste and it certainly took a few sessions for me to get used to it, but I quite enjoy it now especially with coffee or cinnamon
I think that’s all really. Hopefully one or two of them were insightful!