šŸ“» BBC Radio 4 tomorrow will feature James Collier!

Time to tune in the wireless because tomorrow (2nd June) at 12.30pm BST, a BBC Radio 4 programme called ā€˜Sliced Breadā€™ is talking about Huel :radio:

The programme focuses describes itself like this:

ā€˜the latest ad-hyped products and trending fads promise to make us healthier, happier and greener, but are they really ā€˜the best thing since sliced breadā€™?ā€™

The host, Greg Foot, interviewed our very own @JamesCollier! So he will be featured along with some dietitians, our research partners from Newcastle University and a Hueligan too!

Greg is a science journalist and James says that they a great conversation, but he put JC through his paces with some challenging questions! :nerd_face:

Itā€™s a 25 min listen and you can tune in live on Radio 4, or later on the BBC website

We canā€™t wait to listen in, let us know what you think and drop your thoughts in this thread if you do listen!

5 Likes

Iā€™ll probably be out waving flags, eating cake with peasants and celebrating a rich old woman with an expensive hat. Maybe tune in later.

2 Likes

Did you get the email inviting you to celebrate the jubilee with Huel? I nearly choked on my shake!

1 Like

I didnā€™t! What did it say?

quote:

"With the Queenā€™s Jubilee right round the corner letā€™s get prepped!

Itā€™s a momentous day, and hopefully youā€™ll be celebrating appropriately :crown:

With so much to pack into the mega-weekend, youā€™re going to be on-the-go a lot. Make sure you stick a Strawberries & Cream flavour Huel Ready to Drink in your bag.

Itā€™s a nutritionally complete meal thatā€™s ready whenever you are, and itā€™s available in possibly the most British flavour combo there is."

(not making this up!)

I nearly cancelled my subscription and kicked in my Laptop screen in anger. I will never be able to eat strawberry and cream Huel again.

2 Likes

Wait what? Is theRTD so bad?

Republicans like strawberries too. Donā€™t let the other side appropriate the Ģ¶fĢ¶lĢ¶aĢ¶gĢ¶ fruit!

1 Like

I listened to it! Iā€™m at work today but Iā€™m the only one in the clinic, just doing paperwork and waiting on one patient to arrive before I can go home for the weekend. So it was nice to have something to listen to on my lonely day!

I thought James did really well. Overall it seemed like a good introduction for people who maybe donā€™t know much about huel but nothing new for most of us here. It was pretty positive which makes a nice change from a lot of things like this which often talk about meal replacements and diet shakes as though theyā€™re the same thing.

If Iā€™d never heard of huel or was completely new to meal replacements I think it wouldā€™ve made me look them up a bit more. There was a lot of fixation on ā€œcan you really live on thisā€ but I thought James handled that well when he spoke about peoples typical diets.

2 Likes

Annoyingly I was listening to it and was interrupted by unexpected visitors. Iā€™d only got as far as the nutritionalist talking about fibre, absorption of nutrients etc. Only just got rid of the visitors!!! Now donā€™t have time so will have to listen to rest of it laterā€¦

Are you a hobbit?

1 Like

Do you live near Porlock?

I donā€™t even have hairy feet.

Itā€™s an interesting story though. Iā€™d never met the person who popped round; Iā€™d never spoken to them or contacted them in any way before and he ended up staying for ages. Heā€™s also related to some very well known people (both living and dead).

About an hour away by car. Funnily enough I did contemplate buying a house there at the beginning of the pandemic.

Interesting discussion. Found it interesting that H&S wasnā€™t mentioned when the comment was made about not feeling full when consuming liquid food. People are literally killing themselves with their poor dietary decisions so I feel that making it convenient and affordable to eat right is incredible.

1 Like

Just had a listen. There could definitely have been a mention of H&S when they were discussing satiety. Itā€™s more filling than a shake and much better than a pizza or some other kind of convenience food. I donā€™t necessarily agree that thereā€™s a lack of variety and I canā€™t say that I miss chewing. If I want to chew something Iā€™ll have a piece of fruit. I live alone so donā€™t have to worry about the social aspects of eating. If I am eating with other people Iā€™ll have whatever theyā€™re having. It all comes down to whatā€™s right for you - one a day or five a day - but at least they all agreed that itā€™s not bad for us and is, in fact, better than a lot of other things that people eat for convenience these days.

The nutritionist interviewed was sniffy about Huel being standardised, which seems unreasonably harsh. Sure we all have slightly different nutritional needs, but who understands what they are without paying for a nutritionist to tell us? Nutritionists who are employed to work with individuals might get a bit blinkered perhaps, and critical of generalisations. Making the perfect the enemy of the good.

2 Likes

Yes I go that, but a lot of stuff about nutrition is standardised - RDA of vitamins, minerals and recommended calorie intakes. She even said that some may need more folic acid or B12.
Before Huel came along I had no idea whether I was getting my daily requirement for iron, Vitamin C etc. You eat some breakfast cereal, a sandwich for lunch, a mars bars as a snack and a big mac and fries for tea. Is that a balanced and nutritionally complete diet? You eat jam on toast for breakfast, a tuna salad for lunch, peanuts as a snack and a jacket potato and beans for tea. Is that a balanced diet. You eat fruit and vegan yogurt for breakfast, a tofu stir fry for lunch, a banana as a snack and a vegetable stew for tea. Is that a balanced diet? People hear the figures but most donā€™t know.

The liquid food and satiety bit too. Iā€™ve never had an issue of feeling hungry soon after drinking Huel. If Iā€™m honest I think it has happened a few times, but the same can happen eating a regular meal. I find that say a Chinese meal can make me hungry soon after eating it (and thatā€™s one with no MSG in case thatā€™s an issue).

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, she seemed stuck on establishing her micro-managing capabilities as a professional dietician. Not relevant. The only real question is whether Huel is better than the average diet of the average person (ā€˜sliced breadā€™?). As you describe hunzas, the average personā€™s average diet is scattershot and crappy, based mostly on convenience and ignorance. Speaking for myself of course. Sliced bread is pretty crappy too.

1 Like

I agree with James on sliced bread. Sliced bread has amazing PR, itā€™s not as if slicing bread is a hard task.

After listening Iā€™m gonna stick with my Huel. Although it does sound like having your own personalised dietician and chef may be a good option too but itā€™s a wee bit out of my price range.