How did you discover Huel?

While working a food stall at Glastonbury 2017, a woman approached 8am ish eating handfuls of Huel granola frantically out of a bag, while eyeballing chips.

Chips? I ask. No, chomp chomp this has all the chomp chomp nutrition I need. She explained everything Huel while eating non stop and eyeballing chips and everything else.

It was her first time hueling, I can’t imagine her bowels with alcohol and Huel and other tings for 4-5 days.

That’s how I learned of Huel.

4 Likes

My colleague recommended it, I was eating other ‘complete foods’ at the time.

@hunzas was that you?

5 Likes

I read Rob Rhinehart’s article about living without food back in 2013 and got super interested in the idea and loved that the future was finally here.

Then when the Soylent Kickstarter went US only I hoped someone in the EU would take the idea and run with it and I found Joylent, liked it, then Huel launched pretty soon after with less maltodextrin and a nicer sounding recipe and their very first Facebook ad.

Pretty sure I was customer number five or six lol.

5 Likes

I looked around for options after I had to take some drastic dietary and lifestyle changes - I think it was on one of the websites like Wired or T3 that I first read about it. I never really trust these sites too much - especially ones like T3 who favour anyone who is paying them at the time - but at least it prompted me to dig deeper into it.

1 Like

I found out about it because my friend was severely malnourished and Huel was recommended to them by a nutritionist to help get them back into a healthy place.

1 Like

Did it help your friend?

1 Like

I remember seeing the website when it first launched and basically following it and wanting to try it without my parents thinking I was trying to go on a mad diet lol. Then I got a job with long hours about 4 years ago and thought that would be the perfect time to try it: the rest is history!

The commercials kept in popping up on my instagram. I was so annoyed I had to check the website… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I followed the same route as @Tristan, but after trying Joylent and Huel I gave up for a couple of years because I didn’t like them very much and kept wasting shakes by leaving them in the fridge too long. I tried Huel again a few years later and liked it a lot more.

It wasn’t me, although for the past 2 Glastonbury’s 17 and 19 (it wasn’t on in 2018) I did exist primarily on Huel Powder first one and powder and bars second one. It really is an excellent product for using at festivals…

Anyway as I have said on the forum several times before I read about it in an Easyjet inflight magazine when I was flying to Lisbon. It wasn’t a 100% favourable review but enough to pique my interest. I had never heard of meal replacements before (apart from Slimfast), although did use vegan protein powders. That was in August or Sept, but I didn’t actually start drinking Huel until the following March, and since then have drank it pretty much every day for breakfast and lunch.

4 Likes

I remember there was a spate of nerd articles after Soylent and its clones first hit the market. Pasty dorky weeds were the early adopters! It certainly piqued my interest and I am the pastiest weedy dork around.

3 Likes

I am not weedy or dorky but I do like pasties.

4 Likes

[citation needed]

5 Likes

Ha I went through a lot of that! Either forgot about them in the fridge or I left them in my car in the sun. I bet about a third of them were undrinkable. Funny really, a lot complain when recipes change but Huel today is far superior than when it first launched - it’s nice to be able to look away from it and still be able to drink it when I look back.

I ended up trying every brand I could find and swapping between them all whilst writing a bit of a blog to keep track of them, that’s how I ended up making EatComplete.co.

2 Likes

I think you meant to say Tech savvy biohackers seeking efficiency and convenience through a new kind of functional beverage :wink:

5 Likes

I did that too many times…now not so much as I don’t have a car

I heard about it on Radio 2 about 2-3 years ago, tried it straight away and have never looked back. I lost 3 stone in the first 12 months and now just eat it as a normal food.

I’d always wanted to have a simple single item to use as food that contains everything a human needed (this was after watching cartoon characters eating a tablet for a meal in the 70’s) so this was and still is perfect for me.

Im also liking it better with every incarnation, v3.0 is the best yet.

2 Likes

Drastic solution, but I can see how that’d help :wink: I ended up getting very attuned to the difference in the sound of the ‘pop’ when uncapping my shaker.

1 Like

I need good nutrition in my couchside mini fridge when I’m in the middle of a 16 hour Starcraft 2 marathon.

2 Likes